Prometheus FanArt

Started by Darkoo, Mar 04, 2011, 08:37:12 PM

Author
Prometheus FanArt (Read 517,587 times)

Tribal

Tribal

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 24, 2012, 10:17:52 PM
Does everyone see how ridiculous hat would be? There is no way we would take some kind of non-humanoid seriously, no way, much less the actual non-fan audience that will be a majority of the money maker for Fox.

But the original jockey from Alien didnt have a proportional and muscled body like that.
This is just a fit guy with a helmet.

Jockey should me more strange and terrifying.

Like this:

Or this:

or even this:

Ulfer

Ulfer

I find all these comments about the SJ exaggerated. The truth is there are many persons here who don't want to admit that they suffer from dead and mummified alien uniform/suit fetishism :laugh:.

QuoteJockey should me more strange and terrifying.

Several things to say.
In Alien the SJ as presented is mysterious, intriguing, etc. But he is long dead and mummified. So it doesn't have to move on screen or to interact with the characters, obviously. It's the fan who begins to wonder about it (how does he walk, has it got legs), the casual spectator is going to take it as it is : something that was not necessarily done with the idea that it should be practical or really "realistic" in mind.
In a movie where there is interaction between the "SJ" and the characters, where the SJ is an acting protagonist, things cannot be the same, and there is not the same liberty as in drawings or as in the SJ of Alien. (By the way, I like the 1st and the 3rd pictures - but I don't find the 1st one very different conceptually speaking than the big guy in Prometheus, and the 3rd one wouldn't pass in the movie imho).

QuoteJockey should me more strange and terrifying.

Not necessarily. First, I would say "Wait and see". Some may have watched all the trailers 200 times, but it will not change the fact we have only seen the SJ for not even 3 seconds, and some have said that he looks imposant and awe inspiring. To me, it's better that this creature be in some extent in the "uncanny valley", and that its terrifying aspects lie more in what it is able to do or create than in what his body is. Furthermore, I think we have clues that tell us that it will not be the only alien creature we see in that movie - and that maybe there's more in the bif guy that meets the eye ;).
2 - There are maybe real aliens, several thousands light years away, that wouldn't bet of being terrified by us (little mammals with nails instead of claws, etc.), but that would change their mind when we would have attacked them thanks to nuclear weapons, biological toxins, and made dissections on them ;).
3 - I find some depictions of SJ (with one leg, etc.) artistically and conceptually interesting... But frankly. If a species is able to create the xenomorphs and spaceships like the ones we can see in Alien and in the trailers of P., I don't think it would accept to have impractical bodies etc., and would have corrected its physical defects and even tried to become as "perfect" as possible. By the way, we can see that the big guy in P. has himself mechanical aspects...

Eva

Eva

Lets watch the engineer in the finished film, with the proper editing, lighting, sound effects, score etc before we conclude if the design works or not. It's all about the finished film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Tribal on Mar 25, 2012, 11:16:43 AM
But the original jockey from Alien didnt have a proportional and muscled body like that.

Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p0KzUg8oaTA/T2U4pVBEjNI/AAAAAAABHps/dn9EVOhyEeI/s1600/Space%2BJockey%2BPrometheus%2BImage.png

Or this:

or even this:

http://bowendesign.hosting5.idnet.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/prometheus.jpg
Agreed so much it hurts.
I love all of these (bar the cannon). The second one is my favourite Jockey design actually.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Eva on Mar 25, 2012, 01:59:32 PM
Lets watch the engineer in the finished film, with the proper editing, lighting, sound effects, score etc before we conclude if the design works or not. It's all about the finished film.
I personally second this sober point, we've fantasized much about this movie, I just want to see now, what it saved for us.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The only problem with the Jockeys is that it's not what some people expect. I'm glad it's not some cheesy creature that ultimately wouldn't translate well. When I think about what's truly scary, and some kind of mute humanoid that's 9 foot tall is pretty fu€king scary to me. Bravo Ridley Scott for not pandering to fan expectation.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yeah, let's turn something otherwordly, eeriely mysterious and original into something much tamer and already seen.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The jockey we've seen in the trailer still retains the mystery, danger and drama in it's suitless form at least of me. We just gotta let it go. It's not gonna change. There's so much to be excited about.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Pretty aware it is not going to change. Doesn't forbid me to say I dislike the idea as you say you like it.
An humanoid jockey is for me as eeriely mysterious as any 'grey' alien I've seen in the past. The trope has been seen and heard about to death.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

But not within the context of an Alien picture, and not by Ridley Scott. Giving him the benefit of a doubt is probably something we could do?

Kol

Kol

guys, could we keep at least this particular thread free from our complains/criticism & speculation about the movie.
in this thread are the most beautiful fan art pics, so lets keep posting about it.  ;)

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Tribal on Mar 25, 2012, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 24, 2012, 10:17:52 PM
Does everyone see how ridiculous hat would be? There is no way we would take some kind of non-humanoid seriously, no way, much less the actual non-fan audience that will be a majority of the money maker for Fox.

Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p0KzUg8oaTA/T2U4pVBEjNI/AAAAAAABHps/dn9EVOhyEeI/s1600/Space%2BJockey%2BPrometheus%2BImage.png

Or this:

or even this:

http://bowendesign.hosting5.idnet.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/prometheus.jpg

First of all, that one space jockey pic depicts it jokingly with a predator shoulder cannon. Also, they shouldn't have a "trunk", as H.R Giger even said he intended that to be an airhose to the suit of the jockey in "Alien".

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

the Trunk was actually a bone structure connecting directly into the ribcage.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 25, 2012, 04:40:08 PM
The only problem with the Jockeys is that it's not what some people expect. I'm glad it's not some cheesy creature that ultimately wouldn't translate well. When I think about what's truly scary, and some kind of mute humanoid that's 9 foot tall is pretty fu€king scary to me. Bravo Ridley Scott for not pandering to fan expectation.
Agreed.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 25, 2012, 05:03:19 PM
Pretty aware it is not going to change. Doesn't forbid me to say I dislike the idea as you say you like it.
An humanoid jockey is for me as eeriely mysterious as any 'grey' alien I've seen in the past. The trope has been seen and heard about to death simply because it has a human form.
You're still neglecting the fact that you don't know the creature's origin; though I doubt you'll like it even if it's story is filled with intrigue and mystery.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: LarsVader on Mar 24, 2012, 12:32:44 PM
Quote from: Tribal on Mar 24, 2012, 12:24:05 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 24, 2012, 04:11:59 AM
If Mr. Blue really looked like that, I would bet that the design would get laughed at by the entire ALIEN fandom. The Jockey's being humanoid was absolutely the best decision Ridley and his conceptual team could have made. I can't wait for 'The Art of Prometheus' book.

I'm not sure about this.

I think there's much more behind this... we just cant see it yet...

look at this skull
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LHCyNROxkmI/T226HmXpOrI/AAAAAAAADlQ/3aPBsr1DNoQ/s1600/skull.jpg

now, look at this helmet
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f2trbIww8xk/T226HP0hILI/AAAAAAAADk4/_0gP8AGlO80/s1600/jockey1.jpg

They dont look the same at all. The skull looks like a real skull, from a real creature that looks like that.
It has eye sockets with holes in it, strange patterns on the side, etc... and the "helmet" doesnt.

Look, i put some arrows to show all the differences between them:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CWiqDGIoUsA/T226HZl_iZI/AAAAAAAADlA/UmX1OHGKWT8/s1600/jockey2.jpg

The helmet have these strangers bulges on the side, big black eyes and even a ear...

I dont know what think about this, but i think the skull is from a "real" spacejockey wich looks like a real "tapir" thing  :o
First: The skull or mask (or whatever it is) has probably been sitting in the dust for whoknows how long.

Second: The other Jockey is quite alive/active.

Third: The first picture of the "skull" you posted is a totally photo-chopped image and doesn't look anything in detail like the actuall thing in the movie.

So I think your comparsion isn't very valid.

I second that opinion.... not least because this version was done by ME, taken from the very first Prometheus trailer.  Why has the picture been flipped anyway... just curious?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed