Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 735,903 times)

DarthJones

DarthJones

I'm pretty sure the reason Bungie is making them the 'Wort wort' Elites again is to show that they're the big baddies again. In Halo 2 (sorta) & Halo 3, they became heroes.

I can't wait for Reach, especially since I'm getting bored of Halo 3. Once I get all the achievements in ODST, I'll probably be done with Halo until Reach comes out. Until then it'll be me, MW2, Mass Effect 2 & AVP.  ;D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I don't think hearing the not hearing Elites speak English in the first game had anything to do with technology (there was a miniscule time difference between all 3 games; neither had enough time to actually create that kind of technology). Even in Halo Wars (which is official canon), the humans were able to understand all Covenant, and that game took place about 25 years before Halo Reach, were they now cannot speak English. So really, that makes Halo Combat Evolved the odd man out.

I might be a bit fierce about how I'm tackling this issue that I have, being a massive fan of the Covenant. For me, the Arbiter's inclusion in Halo 2 is what really got me hooked to the Halo story. I've read all of the books and graphic novels.. I just really wish they kept that bit of familiarity in the Elites (the deep human voices), and kept everything just like what they are now (in Halo Reach).

Buwx

Buwx

Well, according to THIS, apparently I was wrong about it having to do with the technology, and it is more so just for the convenience of the player.

QuoteThe languages in their original form are heard in Halo: Combat Evolved. In Halo 2, their words are translated for the convenience of the player.

However still, I don't see how the Sangheili speaking their native language, and us not being capable of understanding them, is a bad thing. I love Halo BECAUSE of the Sangheili, hell, I lead an all-Elite XBL clan, and believe me, I would be very much pissed if Bungie portrayed them wrongly (I officially hated Halo: Legends after that piece-of-shit interpretation of the Sangheili, 'The Duel' came out)... but I feel that without their language being translated, it gives them more of that mystery Halo: CE originally had; that feeling of, "who are they" and "what are they saying?" IMO, the Sangheili were more "Elite" in Halo: CE, than they were in Halo 2 and 3. I mean sure, they definitely had more character built in them during the sequels, something that dragged me into the franchise, but they were supposed to be the "new good guys" you could say. Bungie has the right idea about resurrecting the idea of the original Elite, and now that the Sangheili are the main villains again, bringing back that feeling of fear and mystery that was eminent during Combat Evolved, is a good move.

Razz

Razz

Quote from: Buwx on Jan 31, 2010, 05:08:55 PM
Well, according to THIS, apparently I was wrong about it having to do with the technology, and it is more so just for the convenience of the player.

QuoteThe languages in their original form are heard in Halo: Combat Evolved. In Halo 2, their words are translated for the convenience of the player.

However still, I don't see how the Sangheili speaking their native language, and us not being capable of understanding them, is a bad thing. I love Halo BECAUSE of the Sangheili, hell, I lead an all-Elite XBL clan, and believe me, I would be very much pissed if Bungie portrayed them wrongly (I officially hated Halo: Legends after that piece-of-shit interpretation of the Sangheili, 'The Duel' came out)... but I feel that without their language being translated, it gives them more of that mystery Halo: CE originally had; that feeling of, "who are they" and "what are they saying?" IMO, the Sangheili were more "Elite" in Halo: CE, than they were in Halo 2 and 3. I mean sure, they definitely had more character built in them during the sequels, something that dragged me into the franchise, but they were supposed to be the "new good guys" you could say. Bungie has the right idea about resurrecting the idea of the original Elite, and now that the Sangheili are the main villains again, bringing back that feeling of fear and mystery that was eminent during Combat Evolved, is a good move.
Agreed 100% here, glad the Elites seem to be more of a truly evil villain and bungie are taking them in the right direction of that by making them not speak english too. :)

Xhan

Xhan

Except when the Sangheili saw humans refusing to give up, they questioned how honorable the war was, as a race. They were never barbarians to begin with. Egotistical, proud, and out and out ruthless, yes. Brutes ENJOY abusing other races. Rather large gap between the two, which is why they don't get along.

Danger Close

Danger Close

Elites are the best and I love that they are going back to "Wort Wort Wort!" Pure win.

I was just reading the Reach Hub over at Game Informer and I noticed that in the Noble team profiles, they discuss interesting points of their armour. Like the Knife on Emile or the Camo on Jun. One really telling feature was that they don't point out anything on the Lone Wolf. I know they have been talking about being able to customize your player through the Multi-player and campaign, but it looks like it will be more than just color and shoulder pads. It will be cool to see if there are options that effect gameplay.

DarthJones

DarthJones

I like the Elites as heroes more, but it makes sense for this sequel. But 5 bucks says they have an actual language & we only hear 'Wort wort' as an easter egg.

Buwx

Buwx

Quote from: Xhan on Jan 31, 2010, 10:52:00 PM
Except when the Sangheili saw humans refusing to give up, they questioned how honorable the war was, as a race. They were never barbarians to begin with. Egotistical, proud, and out and out ruthless, yes. Brutes ENJOY abusing other races. Rather large gap between the two, which is why they don't get along.

The Sangheili often possessed great admiration for  any of the foes they faced in battle, and humanity indeed was just this case. It was to the Sangheili's surprise, in fact, that humanity was not drafted into the Covenant, as the UNSC provided a fairly well fight and refused to surrender... unfortunately the Sangheili did not understand this until the Prophets were revealed as liars, covering up the fact that humanity ARE Forerunner descendants.

As for the Sangheili vs. Jiralhanae, the two never got along from the very begining... primarily for the fact that, as you stated, the Brutes were bloodthirsty and barbaric; however, the Sangheili also have a tendency to view every other race under their own... which you can't really blame them for. Lol. The Brutes always felt they were mistreated, and being held at a level possibly even under the Kig-yar (Jackals), they were quite jealous of the Sangheili... immediately creating tension between the two races.

Danger Close

Danger Close

I would love to see both Elites and Brutes as enemies. But in different roles. Having the Elites in charge with a few brutes in toe would make for some interesting battles.

Imagine being attacked by a pack of suicide Grunts, then flanked by Skirmishers, only to evade sniper fire from Jackels, as you pick off Buggers, catch your breath just in time to duck a Brute hammer as an Elite Captain unleashes his sword ... Win!

Asian Assassin

Asian Assassin

halo is a f*cking legend

Danger Close

Danger Close

X10 starts today.

Halo Reach is at the show and being show to the press. Tommorow on XBL we will have a ViDoc. They also showed a MP map called powerhouse.

Oh yah, the Beta starts May 3rd.

Cheers,

Locke

Locke

Quote from: Danger Close on Feb 11, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
X10 starts today.

Halo Reach is at the show and being show to the press. Tommorow on XBL we will have a ViDoc. They also showed a MP map called powerhouse.

Oh yah, the Beta starts May 3rd.

Cheers,

Is that date confirmed? I'm personally a HUGE fan of the entire series, though I haven't read Contact Harvest.

The online play is enthralling, I can't put the controller down.

On a side note; I help run an Xbox Live clan, we center around Halo 3, but we have branches in COD and various other games, if anyone's interested feel free to PM me for details.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Can't wait! ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Definatly can't wait! Bungie's sending Halo out with a bang!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed