PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Started by x-M-x, Jun 11, 2020, 09:19:42 PM

Author
PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread (Read 17,858 times)

Corporal Hicks

It's not about changing them. It's about ownership.

Local Trouble

But just imagine how much space you free up if you didn't have all that physical media.

Immortan Jonesy

Someone here is not eco friendly enough >:(

Spoiler
Oh it's me! 🚬 💨 sorry guys   ;D
[close]

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 28, 2020, 11:42:13 PM
But just imagine how much space you free up if you didn't have all that physical media.

Space is over rated

Local Trouble

Does physical media really guarantee ownership in a world where console games commonly require day-one patches?

https://www.engadget.com/2016-08-08-day-one-patch-no-mans-sky-always-on.html

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 29, 2020, 03:19:12 AM
Does physical media really guarantee ownership in a world where console games commonly require day-one patches?

https://www.engadget.com/2016-08-08-day-one-patch-no-mans-sky-always-on.html
You just play the unpatched version, I guess.

Local Trouble

For better or worse, I'd say that only the console games released prior to the 7th generation could actually be owned.  The developers actually had to put in some effort to QA test them too.

All we can really own on physical media now are essentially beta versions that were deemed "good enough" for release by a certain date, even if they're broken as f**k.

Corporal Hicks

That's also a fair point. Also given how much focus is on the MP, what's the point when in so many years and the servers are then dead. I guess, realistically, the physical ownership is down to things like films and TV. For games, it might just be more for that extra something of something you love on your shelf.

Local Trouble

Even then, if the physical media is damaged or lost then your "ownership" of it is lost as well.  With few exceptions (e.g. Transformers: Devastation), if my digital copy is lost for some reason then all I have to do is download and install it again because the purchase is attached to my account.

Given the emphasis that all of the console makers are now placing on backwards compatibility (and even patching older games to run better than they did on their original platforms), I expect they'll also put more effort into making these games available on their servers over the long term.

Huggs

Huggs

Galaga is all I need.

Local Trouble

You still need Borderlands 3.

Huggs

Huggs

Already beat it.

Local Trouble

Borderlands 4 then.  Randy gotta eat.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 30, 2020, 02:28:14 AM
Randy gotta eat.

Yeah, poop.

And lots of it.

Local Trouble

You'll probably be needing a PS5 if you want to contribute to Randy's poop supply.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed