A Neill Blomkamp Alien could be a recipe for disappointment - Great article!

Started by CainsSon, Mar 05, 2015, 06:40:19 AM

Author
A Neill Blomkamp Alien could be a recipe for disappointment - Great article! (Read 5,516 times)

NetworkATTH

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 05, 2015, 11:33:40 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 05, 2015, 10:34:58 PM
I don't think anyone posting with artistic credential opinion on film here is educated in the art of film. Aliens, in terms of film, is a superior movie to Alien 3. Alien 3 is a visually powerful movie, with the bare minimum plot to get away with its stunning motifs, themes, and visuals, and uses it themes as a justification for its troubled plot. Even the Appendix Cut, as much as I love it, has serious glaring flaws.

Aliens is hardly a dumb movie. Or to imply that it's made by dumb people. Or to imply the film is artless. The logistics required that were in order for that film to work, is always astounding. If you complain about Blomkamp's focus on visuals, how could you not apply the same criticism to Alien 3. Alien 3, relies almost entirely on its visuals and execution. It almost gets away with it because its so purposefully melodramatic. You also forget that Fincher originally signed up on the idea of what Blomkamp was doing, ditching the Ward script entirely. Though Ward's script kept the structure of the film.

Fincher wanted to make the film, Neil is making right now. He wanted to make a sequel to Aliens. He's said as much in interviews.

Aliens was a technical film that paralleled the technical nature of Alien. Blomkamp is a highly technical director, and loves that reflected in his films, the technical nature of things, in a more exaggerated Sci-Fi way of course.

Could it be dissapointing is entirely how you look at a talented someone who probably doesn't want to f**k this up.

I'm not at this to toot my own horn, but I am very schooled in film-making. I have a resume 3 pages long, having worked in the business for years. I've done a little of everything, including technical directing professionally. I have a degree in filmmaking, I have taught classes on it. I just signed on as 3rdAD on a feature shooting here in NYC in 3 weeks. Now, if only I had been wise enough to raise some dough for a film of my own, instead of being an arty snob and making whatever I wanted for all these years... I may be doing what Blomkamp is doing now. You see, the more I read his comments the more I see a kindred spirit in him, and I would not slight him for being a fan and doing what he wants. Though, I will be very surprised if his film does indeed completely wipe Alien 3 out of canon for this very reason. I can't wrap my head around someone like him making such an non-integral decision and so, I still think he has some trick up his sleeve. Also with Ridley Scott producing... it may involve the mythology in Prometheus. I would expect it does not contradict it, whatsoever.

So it's really not about his personal desires to return to something, even my instincts would have done differently. If I were writing Alien 3, it would not have been ANYTHING like what it is now. I can say that without question, and I think the author of this article would be suprised to hear Blomkamp say the things he is saying. For instance, I'm very glad he is saying he doesn't care what the fan community wants, and that he is approaching the film as an artist, with the singular exception of feeling like an artist would appreciate Alien 3 MORE than it's predecessors.  So despite liking these comments from him, I believe he contradicts himself, in this latest IGN interview especially. One the one hand, he seems poised to do something interesting, especially when I consider his concept art, like the idea of tie-ing in some of the ideas in Prometheus to the end of Ripley's story, and have heard interesting comments from Sigourney. But on the other hand I think he IS making the mistake this article is calling him out on - which is, trying to make the film he wanted to see 20 years ago without considering that the reason he didn't get it in the first place, wasn't something as simple as just having the right sensibility. Look at the talent involved with that film. Many of which were involved in the production of the previous films, including the lead, who helped to shape it out of a ditch, who is also NOW shaping this. Development Hell, for ALIEN 3 didn't happen for lack of trying the wrong people. Yes, some things, like trying to make a release date, instead of organically raising pre-production - are NO DOUBT on Blomkamp's side this time, and I think that speaks miles for this. But overall, I am thinking, just from what I see in his concept art, that what you see is already not miles away from things fans didn't like in Prometheus and Ressurection and that's because to make the series grow, it also has to get away from what it was before and just throwing Hicks into the mix and saying "See. This is what we always wanted to see but never did!" and naively expecting it to be something-like the first two is really foolish because we will likely just end up with the same unsatisfied fan base. At least Blomkamp is trying to satisfy himself.

Fair enough.

What is something to consider, is that though we have to just go by the concept art, that could probably change. We have no way of knowing what will end up on screen, and while it can have the same basic idea, the way it is executed depends. For example, in the first draft for Aliens, there were pale toothless lighter Aliens, with some kind of proboscis instead of a tongue that ejects hive building resin. This of course, did not make it past pre-production.

Things are certainly different, and it seems like Neil has his mind up, but I have to say, even if we only have concept art to go by, its hardly indicative of a final product.

CainsSon

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 05, 2015, 08:05:13 AM
will they tell blomkamp what to do like they did in alien 3 with david fincher ???

He seems to say this is his biggest concern. He wants carte-blanche but, with Chappie generating a 36% Rotten splat on RTomatoes, the studio may start interfering, if they feel that is hurting its profit margin. Still, Scott's involvement may keep the wolves at bay. That's a plus.
You can bet your bottom dollar Fox only wants the film to be decent enough to make some money and they are satisfied with Ridley's output for the franchise all around.

As for Chappie, I will see for myself in a few hours.

evolution_rex

Based on writer's view on ghosbusters fans and their opinion on the new reboot alone, I can't take what the article says seriously.

Sure, we might get disappointed by Alien 5. But that's always a risk in movie making. So I don't get the point. And if it's worse than Alien 3 or 4? Then  Alien 3 and 4 still exist. So honestly I have no idea what the guy is trying to say other than that Blomkamp is pandering to fans or something, which isn't true because people are now writing articles about why it's bad idea.

CainsSon

Quote from: evolution_rex on Mar 06, 2015, 12:16:38 AM
Based on writer's view on ghosbusters fans and their opinion on the new reboot alone, I can't take what the article says seriously.

Sure, we might get disappointed by Alien 5. But that's always a risk in movie making. So I don't get the point. And if it's worse than Alien 3 or 4? Then  Alien 3 and 4 still exist. So honestly I have no idea what the guy is trying to say other than that Blomkamp is pandering to fans or something, which isn't true because people are now writing articles about why it's bad idea.

I think the general point is that fans want things that aren't possible and then whine when they don't get after cheering that its being attempted in the first place. And I mean... He is using this franchise as an example, and fairly stating that its a disappointment machine because what people want from it is impossible to attain.
Look at the reaction to PROMETHEUS. I remember a few weeks prior when Damon Lindeloff saw the writing on the wall, he tried to warn fans to temper their expectations. Consider this article another FAIR warning and ask yourself if what you want actually makes any sense. Its a win/win for Blomkamp, because he is basically one of us with the ability to make this movie. But look around here. How many of these people's ideas would you actually be satisfied with if they became the next Alien movie?
Would you side with EVERYONE who wants to retcon ALIEN 3 and bring back HICKS just because, a forget whatever other thing they want to do, if they just do that it's bound to be better?

To further this, I'd ask one of you to come up w/ a way to continue this from ALIENS with Hicks and Ripley 30 years older and I truly want to hear ideas... And then consider if any of them sound good to you all. Seriously, I have yet to hear any from people that are both interesting enough to build on Aliens the way Aliens built on Alien and satisfy all the fan needs as laid out in the first two. It's not easy is it?

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Blomkamp's approach to this movie is the approach of a fanboy and a conceptual designer, not a serious film maker. You can't honestly tell me that a non-fan would go down this obvious butt-hurt Hicks revival route? That's why my favorite sci-fi movies usually aren't directed by sci-fi enthusiasts as they tend to focus on the "wrong" stuff (genre based details and dilemmas). And I think a lot of us would agree on that fans and especially fanboys are usually the least fit to direct movies, no? Or maybe I'm too harsh. Just can't come to think of any movies directed by big fans that are good.

OpenMaw

You keep using this phrase butt hurt, but your the one with posts that are full of obvious venom and contempt, sir. We haven't seen a single frame of film yet and already the worst has been assumed.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 02:07:42 AM
You keep using this phrase butt hurt, but your the one with posts that are full of obvious venom and contempt, sir. We haven't seen a single frame of film yet and already the worst has been assumed.

Last time I used that term was before/around x-mas I believe, but thank you for keeping track of my vocabulary.

His approach to this isn't serious, it's fanboy based. That is a really bad start, and since FOX only wants to find new ways to rake it in, they really don't care as it looks good enough and ensures them a bunch of sequels. Anything reminiscent to ALIENS in a 21st century packaging get the green light, and Blomkamp is hot right now and calls himself a big fan. Boom - there you go!

But sure, you're right - we haven't seen even one single frame yet. But the concidering the platform it's based on I don't think fearing the worst about this project is that out of touch.

Jarac

Jarac

In terms of visuals and atmosphere, Blomkamp is great. He has good ideas, but when it comes to writing he executes them poorly. I think if he gives his ideas to competent writers we can get a good movie.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 06, 2015, 02:17:12 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 02:07:42 AM

Last time I used that term was before/around x-mas I believe, but thank you for keeping track of my vocabulary.

His approach to this isn't serious, it's fanboy based. That is a really bad start, and since FOX only wants to find new ways to rake it in, they really don't care as it looks good enough and ensures them a bunch of sequels. Anything reminiscent to ALIENS in a 21st century packaging get the green light, and Blomkamp is hot right now and calls himself a big fan. Boom - there you go!

But sure, you're right - we haven't seen even one single frame yet. But the concise ring the platform it's based on I don't think fearing the worst about Riis project is that out of touch.
I don't claim to know what Blomkamp is thinking, but it sounds like he thinks - as a lot of people do - that Alien3 just didn't work as an Alien movie.  As a sort of fan project, he started planning an alternate sequel.  You can say what you want about a desire to undo weak parts of a film series, but once that decision has been made, the natural place to start is with the survivors of Aliens.  That has nothing to do with "butthurt" over Hicks being dead.  Hell, he may have wanted to kill Hicks again in the middle of the movie.  We don't know.

whiterabbit

Hoping for the best; expecting Jaws 5. Ripley in a powerloader was awesome but I think NB likes mecha a little too much. This may not bold well in my opinion.

thecaffeinatedone

You know, about 5 years ago when District 9 came out, I would've made Blomkamp my first suggestion for making a new Alien movie, but given his recent track record I'm not so sure. :/

OpenMaw

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Mar 06, 2015, 04:42:28 AM
     You know, about 5 years ago when District 9 came out, I would've made Blomkamp my first suggestion for making a new Alien movie, but given his recent track record I'm not so sure. :/

His recent track record of one other movie?

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 04:53:34 AM

Why not?

SpeedyMaxx

Two. Which both suck.

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Mar 06, 2015, 05:34:42 AM

Two. Which both suck.

It might be the Shyamalan-Syndrome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed