Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 70,427 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 02, 2023, 06:59:44 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 02, 2023, 04:15:32 AMI dunno
But I can say that THAT is more fictitious than the entire alien franchise itself lol

Maybe ChatGPT knows something about the egg in the Sulaco, or what happened to David and the Covenant.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 02, 2023, 06:52:16 PMAnother idea I've seen floated is that the acid isn't blood but a different fluid entirely that's stored in a separate layer beneath the exoskeleton for defensive purposes.

That arguably makes more biological sense (there are animals that can secrete all kinds of noxious chemicals for defence) but I personally like the battery-acid-for-blood concept more.

Maybe it's like THC

https://i.ibb.co/m5dCVSc/Screenshot-20230502-145620-Chrome.jpg

(X) Doubt

At least around here...

VeteranSergeant

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 30, 2023, 04:14:22 PMTbh I'm expecting a reboot of the EU at some point in the near future. Disney did it with Star Wars
Disney actually cares about the profitability of Star Wars and Star Wars fans are obsessive about the franchise.  Aliens was nothing more than a licensable movie monster to Fox, and it's probably no more important to Disney.  They didn't care about the RPG (Gaska was just allowed to use his head canon) and they certainly don't care about continuity since we know that Hawley's TV series is yet another canon-muddling prequel set in the early 2100s.

There's no Alien canon, in any traditional sense of that word.

QuoteAs I've said - "for a layman like me". How many viewers actually thought about whether or not acidic blood makes sense ? O'Bannon himself probably didn't

I'm no biologist but I don't think that stomach acid is as potent as Xeno's blood is shown to be. Probably cause it's supposed to digest food not melt spaceship decks. Also, we don't have acid running in our veins. Probably for a reason too

If whatever the Alien's body chemistry is, is non-reactive with that type of acid, then it would be fine.  For example, fluoropolymers like Teflon are non-reactive to many acids, which is why Teflon is a preferred storage material for them. Our insides have evolved to contain and resist stomach acid because it is sufficient for our digestive uses, most of which is breaking down plant and animal matter.

I mean, it's still a little bit implausible that a highly corrosive hydro-fluorine compound with some kind of accelerant would end up as a body fluid, but then again, if the Alien is truly a genetically engineered bioweapon from an advanced species, it might not be beyond possibility to have engineered them that way.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The thing to keep in mind is that the "acid blood" doesn't follow any real logic or scientific consistency - it does exactly as much damage as the story's plot needs it to do in that particular instance, no matter what material it's encountering.

The final chapter in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual even lampshades this - they try to figure out what the acid blood is and end up concluding that it doesn't make any sense, although I think the closest to a consensus they come to on it is that it's maybe some kind of hydrofluoric acid. They do theorize that Teflon might be able to stop it, though.

Chieftain Suom

Chieftain Suom

Aliens: Bishop cover revealed... absolute dirty brown trash water. Sorry to anyone involved and sorry to be negative, y'all. Happy Saturday!

Update: Blackstone Library also revealed the novel's audiobook will be read/narrated by a various cast of characters including one of our recent favs. Read by Tim Campbell , Shiromi Arserio , Eunice Wong , Kevin Kenerly , Nancy Wu , Pun Bandhu , and Alex Boyles

https://www.blackstonelibrary.com/aliens-bishop?sp=477109

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Cover looks supremely crappy. That image of Bishop piloting Smart Ass would've been waaaaay better.

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

Yeah, it's not a good cover haha.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

I'm also a little curious as to why Rachel Caine wasn't chosen to write this novel. She hit it out of the park with Broken in Bug Hunt.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I dunno, it's at least original art.

I'll take that over all the terrible Colonial Marines screenshots we've had.

Chieftain Suom

Chieftain Suom

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2023, 07:02:49 PMI dunno, it's at least original art.

I'll take that over all the terrible Colonial Marines screenshots we've had.

Fair point. I am, however, intrigued by the ensemble cast slated to narrate the audiobook.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

I like the cover, it's simple and subtle. Besides,I always prefer piece of original cover art instead of shitty photoshoped models of Aliens from Colonial Marines. Titan made progress with that with last few books. I'm a little bit concerned about synopsis though. Michael Bishop trying to extract data about Xenomorphs from android's brain and seeming to not working for Company anymore is interesting, but when it mentions Capone's brother I cringed. Let's finally stop retroactively adding to known characters' history and adding hundreds of their family members who also encountered Xenos. It makes this universe feel small. It's the same shit that they did with Palpatine's grand daughter in Rise of Skywalker.

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Aug 19, 2023, 04:39:53 PMI'm also a little curious as to why Rachel Caine wasn't chosen to write this novel. She hit it out of the park with Broken in Bug Hunt.

Yeah, her short was one of few really good one's from Bug Hunt. Also an example of story set in Alien Universe and not involving actual Aliens, or any monsters, and still being interesting. But let's give T.R. Napper a chance, maybe he will suprise us with this story. Eh, I hope that we'll get solid novel after a few that were from middling to very bad.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Aug 20, 2023, 09:05:26 AMYeah, her short was one of few really good one's from Bug Hunt. Also an example of story set in Alien Universe and not involving actual Aliens, or any monsters, and still being interesting. But let's give T.R. Napper a chance, maybe he will suprise us with this story. Eh, I hope that we'll get solid novel after a few that were from middling to very bad.

The only way is up.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2023, 07:02:49 PMI dunno, it's at least original art.

That was my immediate reaction too. It's okay, I guess. Kind of minimalistic.

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Aug 20, 2023, 09:05:26 AMI'm a little bit concerned about synopsis though. Michael Bishop trying to extract data about Xenomorphs from android's brain and seeming to not working for Company anymore is interesting, but when it mentions Capone's brother I cringed. Let's finally stop retroactively adding to known characters' history and adding hundreds of their family members who also encountered Xenos. It makes this universe feel small. It's the same shit that they did with Palpatine's grand daughter in Rise of Skywalker.

I still have the same concern. I think Michael Bishop is actually a really good character to come back and explore and I've always been a little surprised we never saw him (or Morse) come back, so I was really onboard with the synopsis until it mentioned Apone's story. With how lackluster Vasquez was, I'm not too confident in this one (and tbf Titan has really not been impressing me lately) but I'll certainly give it a read and hope for the best!

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 21, 2023, 10:50:43 AMI still have the same concern. I think Michael Bishop is actually a really good character to come back and explore and I've always been a little surprised we never saw him (or Morse) come back, so I was really onboard with the synopsis until it mentioned Apone's story. With how lackluster Vasquez was, I'm not too confident in this one (and tbf Titan has really not been impressing me lately) but I'll certainly give it a read and hope for the best!

In Vasquez addition of her having children itself was well handled at least. Situation where military had control over her pregnancy and her having to give them away was quite emotional stuff, shame that stories of both of her children weren't told so well later, especially with very weak conclusion. But we still have making a main character out of Amanda in Isolation, so it can be done well. I hope that Apone's brother stuff will be handled good, or at least won't be offensively bad and cheap. And yeah, it's time for Titan to get back on track with their novels, they had streak of middling ones lately.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Amanda being a character was different, because we already knew she existed from the Special Edition. It made sense to go there.

That's not the same as retroactively creating a relative that nobody seemed to know about... for like the third or fourth time now.

Wweyland

Wweyland

What is the release date for this?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed