Original Inventory Layout and Cut Crafting Materials, Items, Weapons

Started by NetworkATTH, Apr 12, 2015, 11:53:50 PM

Author
Original Inventory Layout and Cut Crafting Materials, Items, Weapons (Read 1,712 times)

NetworkATTH

So. Someone on Steam managed to find a way to decrypt Alien Isolation's .BML archive files and .PAK files. Extracting UI.PAK reveals some interesting tid bits. Specifically, HUB_INVENTORY_I1.DDS. It reveals how the game played out an earlier stage in its development!

If you explore the Alien Isolation directory, you can find references to cut content that can be found within this generalized "layout" from GBL_ITEM.XML, GBL_ITEM.BML, and the Alien Isolation\DATA\WEAPON_INFO and the .BML files within it.

I'll go over first what it is you're looking at. The .DDS file is called HUB_INVENTORY_I1.DDS. There are other .hub files including these hub designations, and I feel this was originally part of the "Journal" or TAB interface. The one with Archive, IDs, and the Map. Indeed, there are also missing person and journal HUB .DDS files. Hub seems to reference that screen. There were once Image and Inventory portions. Limited to the 68 squares you see there. It would have included crafting materials, crafted items, and weapons. And perhaps, resources? Anyways, I came to this conclusion, aside from understanding you can't exactly have this menu drop down by pressing Q, the black and white layout is similar to the Map/Journal/ID screen we have, as well as concept art for the UI. This would have worked in a similar way to most space managed RPG inventories. Within the Materials .BML file, objects are given a "Width" some are 1, others are two. This seems to be refrence to the amount of space objects could take in this inventory.

As you can see, in the bottom right, an early version of the "HUB" screen can be seen, that contains an Items & Blueprints section.

Now, what are the images on screen? First, is obviously an early version of the Molotov.

The second, I would assume is an Aerated Flamethrower fuel referenced as FLAMETHROWER_AERATED.BML in Alien Isolation\DATA\WEAPON_INFO . To clarify, there were apparently different ammo types at one point in development, ammo types you could probably switch between with weapons. This mechanic didn't make the final cut.

The third item seems to be a Smoke Grenade. There are "Grenades" referenced in Alien Isolation\DATA\WEAPON_INFO. This would seem to be GRENADE_SMOKE.

I could go on, but that'd be a lot of work, you get the general idea. There was once tape, sharp blade (the boxcutter), and an smg, "Chem Lights", a lot of shit. You can see the SMG in the inventory screen. Was really excited when I found this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed