Translation of the German article featured in Play³ Magazine....

Started by perfect organism, May 13, 2009, 11:31:35 PM

Author
Translation of the German article featured in Play³ Magazine.... (Read 12,032 times)

perfect organism

Hey guys, i just made a full translation of the main text from the Featured Play³ Magazine
article, it provides some details about the game and an interview with the guys from Rebellion!

Aliens versus Predator

Sega brings out the third part of the action packed series! Its the first time the hunt finds its way on the Playstation 3!

Action: Wenn these three brawlers get together, whole worlds fall apart into aches. We mean the slimy, perfectly trimmed for surviving Aliens, the murderous Predator and the heavily armed human Marines. There are comics circulating about these fights even a long time ago, in the meanwhile the fight found its way to the theaters. And various Computergames already exist as well on every machine. Now once again a team of developers from England attemps to create this fantastic skirmish in an up to date version. The studios name is Rebellion, which already released the first part of the series on PC. Now the SciFi Skirmish comes back home, after the secont part was developed by Monilith (Fear). Who knows the previous parts, can be happy about the old style of the game: Three single player campains, where you can choose between each species, ans an action paxked multiplayer part, where the opponents can play during several modes.

Very British!

We took a closer look, and flew to the developers to England to witness, how they will put up the legendary fight of the three opponents this time. Thereto Jason Kingsley, the founder of Rebellion, welcomed us. We were shown a presentation of the Predator, the other races were hold back. The plot is set after the movie ALIEN 3, so it has nothing to do with the moderate AVP movie. We stay on a rainy jungle planet between huge trees and destroyed ruins. The mission is simple: Aliens, the arch enemys of the predators, are free, and we should kill them. The Humans, unluckily, set there foots on the planet too - though the bad luck is more on there side, how they will find out soon.

I SEE YOU!

With its different vision modes the predator will search its envoirment. In case you dont know this helpful feature: This hunter can change his visual senses and is able to see humans as glowing points with his thermal-view for example. In another visionmode he can see Aliens more easy, but has to change between the Visionmodes frequently, to not overlook an enemy. Thats how the creature finds a group of Marines fast, who come near his position. Because he is invisible, the few humans are no real threat to him. Thereto he is able to jump unbelievably agile to the next perch. To support his jumping skills, the developers have added some kind of Target-help, which shows the correct path of the jump (the so called focus jump). When the predator is close enough to his opponents, he will attack with his wristblades, the camouflage disappears. Suddenly you hear screams, fire, panic. The Predator fights its way without mercy in close combat through the marines, and uses his shoulder canon to kill the few ones in the distance. That costs energy, which the hunter can
fill up again in a cruel way. He graps a human victim with both hands, and rips his head and spine off. He wips out the blood from his new trophy with a single move of his hands, and packs away the head.

Threesome

A few times later dozens of Aliens are crawling from a little hole and join the fight. The A.I. should make interesting fights possible: If the predator stays cloaked, the Aliens and Marines will fight. The Humans on the other hand try to give each other cover, and use save wall-rests and react on their own. The A.I of the marine sqads isnt scripted,
every encounter should be different. Jason proves this by starting the same level again....and doing nothing than watching the enemies fight each other. He joins the fight later, and uses the classic weapons of the hunter, bringing back tingly memories of the legendary movies in our heads. As an Alien you have the mission to release the ALIEN Queen and to build
a colony. As a marine you are thrown into the fight right in the beginning and you have to fight for your life. The story is centered on a single planet, the single campaigns are overlapping a few times. You are going to see some showplaces again and again, but from another perspective. The developers didnt want to say anything about the multiplayer part, which
is the part some fans are waiting for the most. Yes there will be a multiplayer part, and yes, fans who played the previous  games, wont be disappointed. When three quarrel, the fourth rejoices. In this case we, the fans.

Interview with Jason Kinglsey and Tim Jones from Rebellion

Play3: Why did you choose to make a new Aliens vs Predator?

Jason: We always wanted to male an new one. We were busy with other games, but always had an eye on this one. Finally we could convince the right person that the time is right.

Play3: I guess there are a lot of people out there who are very exited because you guys are doing this game.

Jason: Of cource we hope that. That a very important point for us, we want this game to be as successfull as the previous ones without losing the spirit of the old game.

Play3: Are you, fom the creative point of view, not a little limited when it comes to the AVP universe. I mean they already showed everything of it.

Tim: We have a lot of passion for this universe and everything that has to do with it. To make changes there would not be right, and the fans would be pissed.

Jason: Oh yeah, the would be angry!

Tim: .....but the title plays a few years later after Alien 3, a time, that has not been explored yet. That gives us more freedom, for example for new weapons.

Jason: The best in this universe is that you have this three characters, which are completly unique. They all have theirstrengths and weaknesses. The predator is the strongest in one to one combat.

Tim: Under the right circumstances he can be killed by an Alien thought...

Jason: Thats true

Tim:...or from Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Jason: ....so from a human, right. You have to look to the source material, which are the movies for me, to filter out the fun stuff. And i guess we did that pretty good!

Xhan

Xhan

QuoteThe predator is the strongest in one to one combat.

SIGH.

For people who talk about how they get it, they sure don't get it.

Mustafuk

Well, the predator is always stronger than a warrior, specially than one of those small and ridicolous warrioras typical from avp, so I see no problem with that.

The warrior may be a killing machine, but the predator is a ruthless beast.

Another story for the pred would be to fight in close combat vs a gigeralien/predalien/praetorian of course..., then the situation could be pretty different.

Xhan

Might wanna rewatch some things again canon has already shown Aliens are stronger than Preds.

Mustafuk

which canon, each alien movie has Its own canon due to the personal vision of each director, and nothing is stated about the preds of course.

I hope you aren,t talking about the avp movies, btw both of them have their own vision in this regard, so there,s no canon once more.

DB

QuoteThe predator is the strongest in one to one combat.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

IMBA Predators inc

GG Rebellion

Sykopathic

I forsee matches full of nothing but 12 year olds playing a Predator so they can pwndizzlesauce everybody else.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Sykopathic on May 14, 2009, 11:49:17 AM
I forsee matches full of nothing but 12 year olds playing a Predator so they can pwndizzlesauce everybody else.

Hence limiting species count and rotating shifts in MP...

Sykopathic

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 14, 2009, 11:53:31 AM
Hence limiting species count and rotating shifts in MP...

Wheww good to hear musta skipped over that somehow.

skull-splitter

It's just logical to force a form of balance IMO, AvP2 fixed this with a patch soon after release, AvP3 should have this out of the box. Besides, something better than "just" Deathmatch would be much appreciated

Sykopathic

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 14, 2009, 12:05:05 PM
It's just logical to force a form of balance IMO, AvP2 fixed this with a patch soon after release, AvP3 should have this out of the box. Besides, something better than "just" Deathmatch would be much appreciated

Game companies don't always use logic when it comes to multiplayer balance. Least from what games I've played the last few years. And yea some modes other than just Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch would be sweet.

Mustafuk

Quote from: DB on May 14, 2009, 11:13:49 AM

IMBA Predators inc

GG Rebellion

someone has to be imba

anyway and leaving the moaning kid behind, I,m an alien player..., I accept whatever rebellion does with their game. If I have to play harder against the pred players, I,ll do, will I get owned anyway?, well, It,s a game.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Sykopathic on May 14, 2009, 12:13:58 PM
Game companies don't always use logic when it comes to multiplayer balance. Least from what games I've played the last few years. And yea some modes other than just Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch would be sweet.

Back in 1999 I'd agree with you. In 2009, game companies that claim to have decent MP (not even top class), actually DO have decent MP. Rebellion claims it aims for a revolutionary MP experience (I just hope this means that the MP is as immersive as SP and players are more roleplaying their species than just spamming and bunnyhopping the living 8-bits out of you), I think they look closely to AvP, AvP2, various mods as the AJL and Projam mods for AvP2 aswell as other products, recent games in general to see how they can fill a void.

Something a little more tactical than Q3 sure as HELL would be nice.

n3m0

something must be left out from the game and that is auto guided plasma bolt... i mean it is enough to have auto aim but bolt following u even if u dodge it... i mean cmon...
making it faster but in straight line would be ok... but that would also mean slowing alien down
the ones in avp2 were on speed XD

tom288

It sounds more like they're saying the Predator is the best of the 3 classes if you're fighting a single opponent; I don't think they're necessarily referring to literal strength.  I think its more of, 1 on 1, a Predator would be favored over a single marine or a single alien, so its the strongest, or best, class in 1 on 1 matchups.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed