Alien: Covenant Movie Theater Marketing.

Started by echobbase79, Mar 15, 2017, 11:46:40 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Movie Theater Marketing. (Read 3,610 times)

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 12, 2017, 07:00:17 AM
I doubt it'll come anywhere near 600 million. I'm thinking it'll either do as well as Prometheus or just below it.

That's good enough for Scott to continue. 8)

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Nothing will kill the franchise. The worst that'll happen if Covenant bombs is it will go on ice again. Alien Resurrection and particularly Aliens vs Predator Requiem performed atrociously at the domestic box office, but here we are, a month away from (likely) the biggest budgeted Alien movie yet by a director who can choose whichever project he likes.

I think Covenant will break $300 million internationally based on figures from the previous instalments. This is my personal projection regardless of what word of mouth is like.

What worries me is the US reception and ultimately revenue. I would expect it to break $100million, anything less will be perceived as a disappointment. Obviously fantastic reviews will determine if it has legs at the US box office or not.

As a guesstimate, I say between $110-130million is the US (160 if the reviews are phenomenal). $400million+ total worldwide. I don't think it'll be close to $500mill though.

Beardomorph

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Apr 12, 2017, 10:35:56 AM
Nothing will kill the franchise. The worst that'll happen if Covenant bombs is it will go on ice again. Alien Resurrection and particularly Aliens vs Predator Requiem performed atrociously at the domestic box office, but here we are, a month away from (likely) the biggest budgeted Alien movie yet by a director who can choose whichever project he likes.

I'm not sure I agree. Ridley Scott directing was the only option they had left ( well, they had Blomkamp at some point but it doesn't look like the stars could ever realign on that one ) to bring people back in the theatre after Resurrection and the AVP movies. That's why they've been sticking with Ridley after Prometheus, he's the main selling part of the franchise. If Covenant properly bombs despite Scott and Fassbender AND the Alien creature being in it AND a return to pure horror, there won't be any way forward for the franchise for a very long time. IMO ;)

I don't imagine Covenant will bomb though!

Anthony

Anthony

Should Covenant bomb (which is unlikely), I imagine the series will go on hiatus for at least a decade (similar to the time between Resurrection and Prometheus). Fox would probably do a Force Awakens like soft reboot once they decide to give it new life.

Pvt. Himmel

Can we please stop talking about Covvie bombing... We need to keep positive. 8)

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Beardomorph on Apr 12, 2017, 10:47:01 AM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on Apr 12, 2017, 10:35:56 AM

I'm not sure I agree. Ridley Scott directing was the only option they had left ( well, they had Blomkamp at some point but it doesn't look like the stars could ever realign on that one ) to bring people back in the theatre after Resurrection and the AVP movies. That's why they've been sticking with Ridley after Prometheus, he's the main selling part of the franchise. If Covenant properly bombs despite Scott and Fassbender AND the Alien creature being in it AND a return to pure horror, there won't be any way forward for the franchise for a very long time. IMO ;)

I don't imagine Covenant will bomb though!

I see where you're coming from mate, but ya'kno, every time this franchise seems as dead as a door nail, it comes back. I think the monster itself has stood the test of time. I've heard all these stories from the Covenant set where the crew have been saying Alien is the reason they got into the industry; you have wonderfully talented guys like Creative Assembly sweating out a love letter in the form of Alien Isolation. Hell, it's the Alien that is standing left, right and centre in the promotional campaign for Covenant (I'm surprised Ridley Scott and Fassbender's names aren't more prominent myself).

I genuinely think the worst thing that'll happen if Covenant performs below expectations is there wont be another film for 5-7 years. Maybe even less than that. Blomkamp doesn't seem to be doing anything, maybe he's on permanent standby for Fox to turn too. 

Beardomorph

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Apr 12, 2017, 11:01:19 AM
I genuinely think the worst thing that'll happen if Covenant performs below expectations is there wont be another film for 5-7 years. Maybe even less than that. Blomkamp doesn't seem to be doing anything, maybe he's on permanent standby for Fox to turn too.

We already got five years between Prometheus and Covenant, and that's with Prometheus not bombing, so I'd be less confident.

That said, the franchise itself won't die anytime soon. Even if the movie were to not make the money back ( once again, highly unlikely ), video games, virtual reality and comic books are all valid ways forward.

I'm really hoping for Covenant to be massively successful and critically acclaimed. That would be the first time it happens since Aliens, we're way overdue a masterpiece  ;D

Space Invader

Poster at my local movie theater (took a picture after watching GotG Vol. 2):

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed