Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 25, 2016, 05:06:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online! (Read 131,739 times)

SM

I remember seeing a trailer for Empire Strikes Back in 1980 and linking a shot of Luke sliding down a vent on Cloud City and some snowspeeders and thinking Luke slid down the tube to board the speeder, like Virgil in Thunderbirds.  :D

Gently

Gently

I remember the first neomorph, it was in resurrection. It was born from a womb and cried like a baby, good stuff they're doing to the franchise. Now spiked backbones running around? Jeez...

irratrional human

irratrional human

Is the ship that is seen exploding in the trailer the Covenant or a drop ship of the Covenant? If we assume that the flat ship is the convenant, then it's quite obvious that the exploding ship is not the covenant. If we assume that the exploding ship is a drop ship of the covenant, then we need some expanation for the seen showing the flat ship cruising over a lake. This means that the crew of the falt ship need not rely on a drop ship to get them on the ground. Could it be that this flat ship we are shown at the begining of the trailer is driven be a entirely different (may be even non-human) crew?

SM

Only guessing but I think the lander is attached to the front of the long ship - kinda like the Nostromo toes the refinery.

windebieste

Quote from: Mihai on Dec 26, 2016, 07:47:09 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 26, 2016, 03:58:10 AM
The thing that completely mystifies me about this trailer is the release date.  Christmas Day.

Christmas Day?  Really..? 

How much more disconnected with everything that Christmas means to people can you get? 

Fox Marketing Exec #1:  "when should we release a major movie trailer featuring hideous monsters shredding up the crew of a space ship when people need it the least?"

Fox Marketing Exec #2:   "How about Christmas?"

Fox Marketing Exec #1:  "Excellent idea!  No one needs any more of that 'Joy to the World' and 'Goodwill to All' stuff on Christmas Day as much as they need a gory scary ALIEN trailer.  Let's do it!"

Seriously, though, why release an 'ALIEN' trailer of all things on Christmas Day?  I just don't get it...

-Windebieste.

First it is because Christmas is the best time to promote something so people can see it and second because Christmas is the celebration of evil, it is a pagan holiday older than the birth of Jesus Christ.

I'll settle for the 'Evil Pagan Holiday'.  I like that idea a lot.   ;)

-Windebieste.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

There are two ways to view the new trailer... 1) With a technical eye on how a trailer is constructed/edited and how those technical choices elicit excitement/anticipation for the film. 2) A simple visual insight into the film itself...

In terms of approach 1 - yes, it's a trailer designed to highlight action and horror. Is it a superbly edited trailer? Apart from the first few shots I'd say it's a very averagely put together one (from a technical perspective), but that shouldn't be automatically viewed as a reflection on the film itself. Yes, it's certainly a generic trailer... However, in terms of approach 2 - we, the audience (and Alien fans), are getting our first real glimpse of the aesethtics of the film. It's certainly a lavish production and is seemingly going to be tonally darker, more claustrophobic, grittier and closer to the aesthetic of the original than Prometheus was. Other than that it's difficult to get a real sense of how succesfull the plot, pacing will be (the acting seems perfectly fine based on the trailer) or how 'scary' it will actually be. And my initial reaction is that the first few shots of the character trapped in the room with the back burster is infinitely more scary than anything in Prometheus, Aliens Versus Predator, Alien Requiem and Alien 3... which bodes well for the film. We'll see.

OpenMaw

The trailer has some nice bits.

It's also got a few issues. I think the editing is a big problem here. They're showing too much too soon. I actually really like the track. I do think it fits the tone of things. Big beef here is that, especially now with our ability to stop and analyze everything, they really should have not shown the deaths. We know who get's it and when pretty succinctly now. It would have been much better to focus on reactions, and the beautiful visuals. Keep the cheap thrills for the movie.

MajorB

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 26, 2016, 09:49:32 AM
I actually really like the track.
I feel like it would have worked better for a trailer that emphasized David and the more Prometheus elements of the story. When you're using a song that is pointedly referencing David in an ad that's all about the aliens, it creates a weird disconnect where the music choice is both on the nose and totally inappropriate. It doesn't help that the timing was unlucky in that people are finally sick of the sad husky-voiced lady doing a song cover trend in trailers and are taking out their frustration on this one.

And yeah, it does spoil a bit too much. I personally don't mind because the I spoiled the whole movie for myself already, but it reeks of overcompensating due to people's confusion with the tone and plot of Prometheus. This one is SCARY and it has XENOMORPHS and it plays out HOW YOU'D EXPECT.

lordvader

Has it been mentioned before that the robe that David is wearing is very similar to the robe that engineers wore in one of the Prometheus deleted scenes in the beginning of the movie?

flacerda

Anybody noticed that the clicking sound heard during the shower sequence when the tail is coming up is actually taken from the '79 Alien film? I think all this sound will not make it to the final cut of A:C, but one can dream. One of the many things I like about the original film is it's visceral sound design.

Rankles75

Rankles75

snipped.

Thought it was a decent enough trailer overall. Thing that bugged me the most about it was the whole "not wearing a helmet on an alien planet" nonsense that was also one of the niggles about Prometheus. Not going to read too much into the film based on a two minute trailer. Aliens is the best film in the series, but the trailer for that was terrible...

* Let's not insult our fellow forum members please. We're all grown up here. Let's act it. Hicks.

Kronnang_Dunn

RED BAND???!!! WTH... Last time I checked, Red Band is swearing, guts, mutilations and lots of blood. This is not Red Band at all...  ???  ::)

Seegson

Pople on LV426 didnt wear helmets...even the Colonial Marines when they landed there...Paradise its a terraformed planet, im pretty sure about that

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: flacerda on Dec 26, 2016, 10:29:59 AM
Anybody noticed that the clicking sound heard during the shower sequence when the tail is coming up is actually taken from the '79 Alien film? I think all this sound will not make it to the final cut of A:C, but one can dream. One of the many things I like about the original film is it's visceral sound design.
Totally agree... and the score too. The whole soundscape of Alien was fantastic and added something really suspenseful/terrifying to the film....

Quote from: Rankles75 on Dec 26, 2016, 10:56:34 AM
Some people on here (on both sides) really need to get out more...  ::)

Thought it was a decent enough trailer overall. Thing that bugged me the most about it was the whole "not wearing a helmet on an alien planet" nonsense that was also one of the niggles about Prometheus. Not going to read too much into the film based on a two minute trailer. Aliens is the best film in the series, but the trailer for that was terrible...
Well we don't really know the context. If the crew of the Covenant have been in communication with David, if they've received a message, then they may have good reason for not wearing space suits on the surface. Clearly it's a bit of a mistake on their part, but it does appear they may have been tricked by David...

fakk3

Time to sell Alien franchise to Disney. They are know how make good sequels/prequels  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed