The 10 Most Deranged Alien Crossovers (from io9.com)

Started by Ash 937, Oct 13, 2011, 06:20:00 PM

Author
The 10 Most Deranged Alien Crossovers (from io9.com) (Read 2,155 times)

Ash 937

Prime113

Yes. Thank you for that Ash.  :)

DJ Pu$$yface

I won't be reading those anytime soon.

Mr. Domino

I've read all those. Most of them are worth it, either for being genuinely decent, or for just being so dumb they're fun.

Very much agree about putting WildC.A.T.S./Aliens in the top slot, though - its an integral part of the story when you read Ellis' Stormwatch/Authority run (which could not be more highly recommended), which just makes it all kinds of awesome.

StrangeShape

Read most of them. TERRIBLE, but not as terrible as stuff like Colonial Marines or Harvest

Corporal Hicks

Other than AvP, I hate cross-overs involving any of our beloved creatures. I've read a few of them and just hated on them.

Xenomrph

The Judge Dredd crossovers are surprisingly readable, mostly because they're written by Dredd creator and long-time writer John Wagner, who happens to be a big fan of Alien and Predator as well so he actually gave a shit about both Dredd and the monsters he was fighting.

Batman vs Aliens is alright, Batman vs Predator 1 is alright, the rest are pretty bad. Aliens/Predator/Witchblade/Darkness: Overkill is okay because the Top Cow guys didn't take it seriously at all and just went completely off-the-wall ridiculous with it and had a good time, but the Mindhunter one was really, really shitty. That's speaking as someone who's a fan of both Aliens/Predator AND Witchblade/Darkness.

Peakius Baragonius

Batman vs. Predator is AWESOME. If you are a Batman or Predator fan and haven't read it, you need to track down a copy. Now.

Batman vs. Aliens is pretty good, as is Batman vs. Aliens II despite
Spoiler
those ***ing stupid supervillain hybrids
[close]
. The books, especially the second one, had some pretty interesting themes in them, and I actually hope for a follow-up that would resolve some of the loose ends left in them. (e.g. Batman's nightmares about the Aliens, the themes of ancient gods and horrors which are so integral to the Aliens' imagery). Plus, the writers really get Batman and the Aliens, and thus I would definitely recommend those as well.

Superman vs. Predator...oh, boy. If there is a definition of an unbelievably silly crossover, this is it. Yet despite the fact that the book is pure fluff, despite the totally plot-convenient de-powering of Superman and the cringe-worthy dialogue, I really, really enjoyed reading it. When it's good, it's decent, and when it's bad, it's so bad it's good, in a good way.

The plot is really interesting in that it seems totally not what you'd expect. It isn't a setting that you'd expect for Superman, nor a plot for Predator (despite being a follow-up to the original film), yet both enter into the completely insane storyline almost naturally. It almost reminds me of something I'd write: a seemingly mis-matched yet fun crossover, wacky characters, cringe-worthy dialogue, great moments for the characters involved (Superman having to rely on his wits and sheer reputation against normal human mercenaries rather than his strength, and a fun, post-modern feeling of self-awareness make this a must-read for entertainment purposes alone.

It's worth noting, also, that both BVA1 and SVP feature the link between Aliens and Predators and ancient Mayan/Mesoamerican culture, and SVP even features the Predator firing his wrist blades from his gauntlet. I wonder if Paul W.S. Anderson gave these a read through sometime prior to making AVP?

Overall, I've had good luck with crossovers so far, though I don't know how long that luck will last, and I encourage those such as DJ Pu$$yface (fellow Doctor Who fan!  :)) and Corporal Hicks to give the ones above a try.

I am wondering...I've heard that Superman and Batman vs. Aliens and Predator is pretty bad, but at the same time I'd like to know how it continues/concludes Superman and Batman's relationship with the creatures. Can anyone who's read it and the earlier crossovers between the characters save me the time and tell exactly what goes down, pretty please?  ;D

predxeno

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Oct 15, 2011, 05:51:53 PM
I am wondering...I've heard that Superman and Batman vs. Aliens and Predator is pretty bad, but at the same time I'd like to know how it continues/concludes Superman and Batman's relationship with the creatures. Can anyone who's read it and the earlier crossovers between the characters save me the time and tell exactly what goes down, pretty please?  ;D

I read it and it was so bad that I can't remember the ending very well.  Here's what I remember:

Spoiler
The Predators claim to be peaceful, but turn on the heroes later on in the story.  There are some random fights between all the species placed in the story.  The Government wants to blow up the Predator ship, but Superman tries to save the Predators cause his code of honor forbids the massacre of any form of life.  He takes the Predator ship into the air and pushes it into space to freedom and away from the Government's missiles.  The End
[close]

Peakius Baragonius

Thanks, Predxeno! Just wondering (if you remember, that is), how do Superman and Batman react to seeing the creatures again together, and that they've both encountered them before?

predxeno

Batman at first wonders what the Predator is doing here again when he sees it.  I think Superman just goes "oh look here are the aliens and predators, I have to fight them all over again".  It's been awhile since I read this comic and it wasn't very good so I can't remember exactly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed