Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 43,998 times)

Aliens1986fanboy

Me personally I love the movie the only problem I had with it was the lighting but thats about it. It had violence and action what more could you want??

SM

More than violence and action.

Things like engaging characters, a Predator that doesn't do dumb shit, Aliens that are formidable opponents, pointless and juvenile additions to the Aliens features, better writing in general.

whiterabbit

Floppy tubes.

Actually those aliens did wipe out the national guard all commando like and even cleared out 99% of the town in one night. Pretty formidable to be honest.

SM

And yet did sweet f**k all to the Predator.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I think it's the "maternity ward scene" that really pushes people over the edge.

While body horror, pregnancy (as birth and death) and slaughter of innocents is pretty common in Japanese Hentai or Anime animation, its considered obscene and taboo in the west, even in a fictional setting.

But overall as an amatuer film-maker and former media students I can say while later ALIEN and PREDATOR sequels lacked the holistic quality of the originals, technically they are as good if not better in the make-up and VFX effects department.

Also I take even films like AVP-R scene by scene and I can say there is some overlooked quality in the film-making, including atmosphere, suspense, editing and (gulp) even the acting is better than some people think.

Kailem

Quote from: SM on Oct 06, 2018, 12:24:11 PM
And yet did sweet f**k all to the Predator.

He was just too badass.

:laugh:

Voodoo Magic

I do love the little we got on the Predator homeworld.

Gilfryd

Because it's miserable, awful and tasteless, with the look and scale of a crappy direct to video horror/slasher sequel.

On Wolf - I always found it odd how they show his face TWICE (on the Pred planet, in the crashed ship), yet they still try to make a big deal about him taking his mask off before confronting the Predalien.

Hudson

QuoteI think it's the "maternity ward scene" that really pushes people over the edge.

Maybe the only thing in the movie that I enjoy unironically. It's a horror movie. It should be horrifying.

That scene is a good follow up to the hobos-in-the-sewer scene, which was not horrifying, but...something. Funny?

yautjapet

Quote from: Gilfryd on Oct 06, 2018, 04:26:01 PM
On Wolf - I always found it odd how they show his face TWICE (on the Pred planet, in the crashed ship), yet they still try to make a big deal about him taking his mask off before confronting the Predalien.

I interpreted that not as trying to make it into a grand reveal, but more for the dramatic effect of him stripping off all weaponry and gear to face the predalien one-on-one, bare handed.

Hudson

Quote from: yautjapet on Oct 06, 2018, 04:59:03 PM
Quote from: Gilfryd on Oct 06, 2018, 04:26:01 PM

I interpreted that not as trying to make it into a grand reveal, but more for the dramatic effect of him stripping off all weaponry and gear to face the predalien one-on-one, bare handed.

I think the problem is that the unmasking of a Predator as a 'grand reveal' is a basic convention of the Predator franchise (the same as it is for Jason Voorhees), so they messed with it in a way that cheapened it when it finally occurred. Predators cheapened the convention intentionally by showing the captive Predator at the beginning without his mask on, BUT they redeem it by having an eventual unmasking of one of the big Predators later. The Predator, I think, flatly rejects the grand reveal convention and never once features an unmasking scene.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 06, 2018, 04:57:31 PM
QuoteI think it's the "maternity ward scene" that really pushes people over the edge.

Maybe the only thing in the movie that I enjoy unironically. It's a horror movie. It should be horrifying.

That scene is a good follow up to the hobos-in-the-sewer scene, which was not horrifying, but...something. Funny?

There was either a deleted or unfilmed scene were the PREDALIEN can somehow "see" if a woman is pregnant and therefore she would be a target for the egg-barfing "mouth to mouth" insemination. Kind of the opposite of the PREDATOR NOT killing pregnant women or weak men (PREDATOR 2 and AVP). .

Kind of cruel that Ray (the skinned cop) waitress wife Carrie was revealed as pregnant and killed in the Kitchen scene via the "baby bursters". Yes pregnant women's wombs made them able to spawn more than one Xenomorph.

I kind of share the view it was refreshing that a movie had no "plot kryptonite" where only Star trekesque redshirts get killed while everyone else gets a free-pass.

Also while in the cinema I think I spotted one couple on a "first date". It ended when his girl date got up with a "what the f**k was that movie" look of horror when the credits rolled.
Not an ideal movie if you intend on being a Father one day as it is very antinatalist.

Hudson

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Oct 06, 2018, 05:40:44 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Oct 06, 2018, 04:57:31 PM

There was either a deleted or unfilmed scene were the PREDALIEN can somehow "see" if a woman is pregnant and therefore she would be a target for the egg-barfing "mouth to mouth" insemination. Kind of the opposite of the PREDATOR NOT killing pregnant women or weak men (PREDATOR 2 and AVP). .

Kind of cruel that Eddy (the skinned cop) waitress wife Karen was revealed as pregnant and killed in the Kitchen scene via the "baby bursters". Yes pregnant women's wombs made them able to spawn more than one Xenomorph.

I kind of share the view it was refreshing that a movie had no "plot kryptonite" where only Star trekesque redshirts get killed while everyone else gets a free-pass.

Also while in the cinema I think I spotted one couple on a "first date". It ended when his girl date got up with a "what the f**k was that movie" look of horror when the credits rolled.
Not an ideal movie if you intend on being a Father one day as it is very antinatalist.

To me it feels more like a comment on the inevitability of nature than asserting anything cruel. Nature has no ethics or morals, but we can't really comprehend that as sapient beings. I mean, that's my take on it at least. I think it's scarier to imagine animals satisfying their basic instincts than, say, a Predator which hunts for fun.

But I don't want to really give this movie credit for that being intentional.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 06, 2018, 05:51:27 PMTo me it feels more like a comment on the inevitability of nature than asserting anything cruel. Nature has no ethics or morals, but we can't really comprehend that as sapient beings. I mean, that's my take on it at least. I think it's scarier to imagine animals satisfying their basic instincts than, say, a Predator which hunts for fun.

But I don't want to really give this movie credit for that being intentional.

Well in the wild animals do kill the young or unborn and in war-time scenarios; something we haven't seen on our homelands since WW2, nothing is sacred and the universe is not keeping score on "good or evil". Hence why it is daft to blindly believe the bible there'll be repercussions for evil in the afterlife (Heaven and Hell) or you'll be rewarded for good deeds in the present life (Karma). If anything I have learned the opposite is true, take what you want cause at the end of the day no-one truly cares its everyone for themselves and life is short.

Richard Dawkins debunked acts of kindness in his "The Selfish Gene" by saying it is a primal survival strategy and even the weak will bound together and literally eat the leader if it means to survive regardless of decency or remorse.

As far as ALIENS, even James Cameron had elements of infanticide in ALIENS (1986). Those colonists had on-screen families and only one child was found alive.......
Yet no-one brings Mr Cameron up on his motivations for that.

SM

Because he didn't resort to cheap tacky shocks by killing children in an "gritty", "hardcore" attempt to be edgy.

Gilfryd said it best - "miserable, awful and tasteless".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed