Lets talk about the Predator's shuriken for a moment

Started by germanator2, Aug 12, 2018, 09:10:49 PM

Author
Lets talk about the Predator's shuriken for a moment (Read 3,504 times)

germanator2

In terms of the Predator arsenal in this film, this really doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of new weapons, which is a shame because every Predator film should at least expand a little bit on equipment and weaponry. I think it was a risky decision to bring back the shuriken because I think most fans would immediately think about the AVP films. And I prefer the disc myself as well. But after watching the latest TV spot and seeing the harpoon weapon impaling that soldier and you see the blood and I think even some entrails hanging from the harpoon, I'm anxious to see the shuriken in action now. We never really seen it used against humans in the AVP films, besides the girlfriend who was pinned to the wall in AVPR. But it was always against the aliens and cutting dismembering them in different ways. If the harpoon scene is any indication of how bloody this film will be, plus the shot of the Predator jumping in the back of the truck and slitting the guy's neck with the shuriken, I'm really hoping to see the Predator actually throw the shuriken and watching it dismember and cut soldiers in half. We've only ever seen it once and it was on a low budget in slo-mo with Predator 2.

Master

Low budget + Predator 2? Da f**k?

germanator2

Quote from: Master on Aug 12, 2018, 09:15:23 PM
Low budget + Predator 2? Da f**k?
By today's standards, it's definitely a low budget. But my point being, the effects of the disc in action flying, is very mediocre, especially is slo-mo if you rewatch that scene.

OpenMaw

Quote from: germanator2 on Aug 12, 2018, 09:48:18 PM
By today's standards, it's definitely a low budget.

No it isn't.

Quote from: germanator2 on Aug 12, 2018, 09:48:18 PM
But my point being, the effects of the disc in action flying, is very mediocre, especially is slo-mo if you rewatch that scene.

No.

It's in slow motion for stylistic reasons, not because of the budget.  :laugh:

Actual Hybrid

Not one of the most interesting new threads started, but i'll give it a go...

Who carries Shurikens on earth?  How might that be VERY important to "what" the predator is?

BigDaddyJohn

It doesn't really make much sense to judge a 28 years old movie based on today standards.

proto leech

shuriken is pretty garbage. dont know why they would reference weapons from the worst movies in the series rather than P2

would much rather have the disc back or a simple glaive/sword

OpenMaw

Quote from: King geedorah on Aug 13, 2018, 02:12:22 AM
shuriken is pretty garbage. dont know why they would reference weapons from the worst movies in the series rather than P2

Because they made a bunch of the Shuriken props for AVP and AVP:R and had them lying around. Saves money.

The Old One

The Old One

Loving the harpoon.
Feels oldschool Predator, like the net, spear and wristblades, it's also a hunting implement being used on humans.

In AVP & AVPR, they kind of forgot about that side of it IMO and just tried to come up with cool gadgets that don't really have any relation to the sport of hunting specifically, the gauntlet, hand caster and whip for instance. Although the whip I quite liked, and you could make an argument for it being tangentially related to hunting but you see my point.

OpenMaw

Wolf as a xenomorph lion tamer.

or he's space Indiana Jones.

skull-splitter

Quote from: OpenMaw on Aug 13, 2018, 06:01:07 AM
Wolf as a xenomorph lion tamer.

or he's space Indiana Jones.
Just picture him traveling in a fridge through space...

YTL_Hunter_H2

I'd love to see the original disc make a comeback in the film's. Hate the shurikens with a passion

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Aug 13, 2018, 05:42:03 AM

Because they made a bunch of the Shuriken props for AVP and AVP:R and had them lying around. Saves money.

That is pretty much all I expect it to be. Personally, I dug the shurikens anyway. Nice to see them back. Would have been happy with this or the disc to be honest.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 13, 2018, 05:52:00 AM
Loving the harpoon.

Yeah, I think that's pretty wicked. Looking forward to seeing more of that in action! I'm glad we did get something new kit wise.

Actual Hybrid

Actual Hybrid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 13, 2018, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Aug 13, 2018, 05:42:03 AM

That is pretty much all I expect it to be. Personally, I dug the shurikens anyway. Nice to see them back. Would have been happy with this or the disc to be honest.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 13, 2018, 05:52:00 AM
Loving the harpoon.

Yeah, I think that's pretty wicked. Looking forward to seeing more of that in action! I'm glad we did get something new kit wise.

I'm picking on hicks cuz he's the boss around here.  With all due respect, your not giving giving shuriken choice enough weight.  It's a major, major design element

BigDaddyJohn

Speaking of the harpoon, where does a pred stores all that rope ? I mean it seems there is a decent length, probably more than we saw in the tv spot... If it's a wrist firing thing, it would be weird regarding the lack of space in order to store all of that...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed