James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 711,724 times)

Corporal Hicks

Looks like we're going with Tarzan this time?

nanison

For me it is not about realism but creativity when creating special effects with puppets or mechanics or trick shots it all involves creativity. There is a limit to what you can do and what works and that is when the best ideas come.
The alien is scary because we don't see it often in Ridley Scott's last alien film we see it in all it's glory. CGI makes that happen but it kills of the mystery and creativity of the shooting.

Another good example is King Kong 1976 vs 2005. The earlier version is just scarier because the lighting and angles are more creative to hide that it is just a man in a suit. The mechanical parts of the arm and hands are awesome, especially when he captures Ann from inside that building.
That said there are also a lot of shots that don't look good anymore in the film.

Jaws another grand example, thanks to failing mechanical parts Spielberg had to get creative and he made a suspense masterpiece without realizing it.

In all this examples it is clear to me that Kong isn't real and that the shark doesn't look like a real one but at lest they look like real threats not like realistic monsters

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/SciFi_Fantasy/status/1523991066050932736

A near-photorealistic depiction of an action beat that looks like it could have essentially been ripped straight off of a vintage pulp sci-fi novel's cover. You love to see it.

It has a lot of the same energy as this James Cameron painting, actually, which was a piece of concept art he painted prior to making his 1978 short film Xenogenesis:

Kradan

Holy shit, Terminator punching a Navi blue monkey to death with his exposed roboarm would be AWESOME ! gargragaaaallgr (sorry, that was the sounds of me shoving popcorn in my face)

Nice piece of concept art tho. Thanks for sharing it, NA

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: ace3g on Jun 30, 2022, 04:11:31 PMhttps://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1542539742700519424

That's an interesting character description. Although I swear my mind wanders away and thinks of the almost zero improvement in visual since the original.

But I looking foward the creature design as usual.  8)

nanison

Quote from: Kradan on May 10, 2022, 08:08:31 PMgargragaaaallgr

Sounds Like Arnold Schwarzenegger to me

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1542901212785393664

Kiri has the same face markings as Grace's Avatar, too:

Definitely thinking there must be some sort of reincarnation angle at play here with Kiri, since Grace's consciousness was essentially absorbed by Eywa during the failed attempt to move it into Grace's Avatar body. Some version of Grace's consciousness that was stored in Hometree must have been reborn in a new body as Kiri.

Gilfryd

I figured she was coming back to play a Grace Augustine/Eywa/Force spirit kind of thing, but this is something else.

Nightmare Asylum

A melding of Grace and Eywa's own consciousnesses in this new body, perhaps? I definitely don't expect whatever's going on in her head to be just Grace as we knew her recreated 1:1.

Nightmare Asylum

From the article –

QuoteIn The Way Of Water, the RDA has a whole set of Recoms, aka Recombinants – avatars embedded with the memories of human soldiers.

All in on this concept.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed