Aliens: Aftermath #1 (Marvel, One-Shot)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 19, 2021, 06:13:38 PM

Author
Aliens: Aftermath #1 (Marvel, One-Shot) (Read 16,160 times)

judge death

I would claim having the xeno light up in the dark and unable to hide, and the acid isnt acid anymore but freezing flesh is a big downgrade myself, and also radiation mutating them is also a downgrade in my eyes :P

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Can't say I was a fan of how this one panned out.

Quality-wise, it's like a generic Dark Horse comic, but because they decided to take a dip in Lake Retcon, instead of just making it about someone's link to a completely original colony, it kind of f**ks itself over the head at points.

At least one major canonical mistake: The Colonial Marines, during 'Aliens', were never "hired out by Weyland-Yutani". This is one of those false assumptions fandom popularises in the same way as thinking 'xenomorph' specifically means the Alien, instead of understanding the context in which Gorman applied it (and obvious fact that nobody, including the scientific community at large, acknowledged the creatures Ripley described even existed, let alone gave them an official designation).

The troops bitch about always having to go out and check whenever a colony goes dark, typically having to fix malfunctioning communications equipment. Burke's there in the same capacity as Ripley - a civilian advisor. There is an entire scene devoted to Ripley pointing out he has zero jurisdiction over the mission.

Then there's the nuclear winter scenario depicted on LV-426, which is a... Questionable concept.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-nuclear-winter-a-hoax

Even if it was possible, LV-426 certainly had no woodland to create massive fireballs. It's the equivalent of an isolated nuclear test, here on Earth, in a desert environment - and we never had nuclear winter occur because of those. They might as well have just had the place still raining.

Then we get onto spoilery things:

Spoiler
As Sil, me and others have pointed out, why a domed Alien? Well, now it's even more weird, because this one seems to have somehow spontaneously evolved from a ridge-headed Alien. Why? Well, that's... It's... Never explained. It was never even explained why it mutated, in the first place.

How do acidic fluids become like liquid nitrogen? No explanation. Guessing it was an 'Alien Resurrection' reference, where the security guard had the same arm frozen and shattered? But it's ultimately a pointless change. It's just change for the sake of change. Doesn't really achieve anything or change the story.

Could have just as easily been a normal Alien. They could have said it was going through one of the sewer ducts when the blast hit or something like that. It's literally just an Alien which seems to glow (making it less able to achieve any surprise, ironically enough).

It's like if a Terminator was showing up in a story with a red endoskeleton. Wow... Interesting visual, but surely, there's a reason for that? Something which could subvert expectations? Change up the usual narrative! Does it mean something other than Skynet manufactured it? Or that different materials are being used, due to a story development? Or maybe some Skynet units somehow got cut off and are making their own faction? All sorts of possibilities!

And then you discover it's... Literally just a red Terminator. It got splashed with paint or something. It's just a normal Terminator and adds nothing. In fact, it got itself out of a car crash and hauled itself through some red paint in the process. That's basically what we have with an Alien in this story.

We also have a terrorist organisation with some strange logic. They're some sort of Marxist-type or eco-terrorist organisation, because they make a big speech about championing workers and standing against "raping planets", but it's difficult to see how they're improving the lot of Weyland-Yutani employees who will, presumably, be unable to complete their voyages shipping out mineral ore. At worst, this could mean they're stranded without fuel and die. At best, they won't be able to complete their contracts and might mean they won't get paid.

So, yeah, kind of counterproductive.

A character talks about his 'tia' being Vasquez (auto-translation tells me this means 'aunt'). He's on a hunt to figure out what happened to her. Now, there's also a character with the surname of Drake, which begs the question of why Drake's fate wasn't an issue, too. Why only interested in Vasquez and not Drake? I might have confused something and need to re-read, but that struck me as odd.

Then there's some bullshit for bullshit's sake: A character who was one of the original colonists of Hadley's Hope, who was facehugged. Which means it was someone who should have been kept in med-lab, with all the facehugger specimens, who were there to try and learn things from. He wasn't, though. No, some of the Hadley's Hope staff decided to take time otu of their busy schedules of survival to insert him, all on his ownsome, down a few levels. It's not clear why they would do this, knowing what's running around, but... It was done.

We also find out the ECA are in cahoots with this terrorist organisation, specifically to f**k Weyland-Yutani over. Why would they be hiring a terrorist group to do this? Why would a government department even choose that route by which to do it? Nobody clarifies... Nobody cares... It's basically an excuse by the writer to do a canonical name-check.

What does the ECA want? Well, instead of hiring their own people to do it, they decide a handful of members of the futuristic equivalent of the Weather Underground would be the super-logical choice to undertake this dangerous mission. It also requires paying them a hefty sum, but... OK, just ignore this. You have to ignore a lot of things in this story.

But behold! A Weyland-Yutani hologram appears! Somehow... On a colony where the Marines had to rely on a big 2D map table to bring up schematics with. Again, ignore the bullshit. Who could it be? It's a wild Miss Yutani! It's super-ineffective!

Ooh, they're going to be nefarious! Mwah-hah-hah-hah! They're going to OFFER MONEY! Yeah!

So, here we have Space Terrorists being offered money to take a clearly important "infected" catatonic body to either a government arm which is evil enough to be working with terrorists - or a private company, which is also evil for similar reasons. It's all kind of... Everyone's evil, everyone wants to f**k everyone else over, everyone is demented, at this point. Except for the guy in the cryopod. Why there would even be cryopods at Hadley's Hope is not made clear, but it was there.

Mind you, considering Burke only ever sent a directive to check out a grid reference, why there would even be communications about secret infected specimens, etcetera, in itself, is a little weird, but again... Ignore the bullshit. Just sit back and enjoy how nobody's worth giving a damn about. It's like 'Alien 3', except without any cool dialogue.

And that's good advice, because someone also gets randomly killed by the X-Man Alien. A very generic kill. Zero tension. Tail goes through gut. You've seen it a million times before. You don't care about the character. Then it shows up again and, y'know... "Rargh! I'm an Alien!" As y'do in a comic.

And that's kind of it. You're treated to a skeleton in Colonial Marine armour. Nice visual touch. Vasquez's smartgun, too (somehow not in the APC where it was originally discarded - Drake's would have been more logical). It's meant to be spooky, but feels by-the-numbers. Because you're here for that glowing Alien! And it glows... And apparently sprays liquid nitrogen. And is only interested in killing, nothing else. Yeah... Totally worth the wait?

That's a big part of what makes this feel so pedestrian. If the big mystery the story sets itself up to be hyped by, that glowing Alien, turns out to not be such a big mystery, after all, then the rest sort of feels like a deflated balloon.

But that mysterious body has a chestburster in it! Even though we knew it would! Like, we were literally shown that communication telling us it would, in advance. So... Predictable ribcage shenanigans ahoy?
[close]

And there we have it.

Story: 3/10
Art: 6/10
Tension/atmosphere: 1/10
Believability: :laugh:

Xiggz456

I Enjoyed it although there's a pretty glaring loose end
Spoiler
glowing Alien
[close]
that never got addressed. I loved the art on this! So fluid. This comic pretty much confirms that the Marvel storylines are in their own timeline separate from the Titan and Dark Horse stories which I'm totally fine with (and was what I expected in the first place).

judge death

Well written Xenomorphine, fully agree on all points and even found stuff I missed. :D

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 14, 2021, 08:19:58 PM
Can't say I was a fan of how this one panned out.

Quality-wise, it's like a generic Dark Horse comic, but because they decided to take a dip in Lake Retcon, instead of just making it about someone's link to a completely original colony, it kind of f**ks itself over the head at points.

At least one major canonical mistake: The Colonial Marines, during 'Aliens', were never "hired out by Weyland-Yutani". This is one of those false assumptions fandom popularises in the same way as thinking 'xenomorph' specifically means the Alien, instead of understanding the context in which Gorman applied it (and obvious fact that nobody, including the scientific community at large, acknowledged the creatures Ripley described even existed, let alone gave them an official designation).

The troops bitch about always having to go out and check whenever a colony goes dark, typically having to fix malfunctioning communications equipment. Burke's there in the same capacity as Ripley - a civilian advisor. There is an entire scene devoted to Ripley pointing out he has zero jurisdiction over the mission.
What's the exact wording in the comic? Because the WY Report and the USCM Tech Manual (and the new RPG's CMOM) do mention that the Company can have some kind of pull over the USCM to some sort of degree sometimes, and that Burke had some leverage over the operation to LV426 (insomuch as he hand-picked Gorman for the mission, even if Ripley and the other marines weren't aware of it).
So it might not entirely be a canonical mistake, depending on the context.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 14, 2021, 10:55:08 PM
What's the exact wording in the comic? Because the WY Report and the USCM Tech Manual (and the new RPG's CMOM) do mention that the Company can have some kind of pull over the USCM to some sort of degree sometimes, and that Burke had some leverage over the operation to LV426 (insomuch as he hand-picked Gorman for the mission, even if Ripley and the other marines weren't aware of it).
So it might not entirely be a canonical mistake, depending on the context.

'Weyland-Yutani Report' got some things wrong, so, uh... Take it with a grain of salt, eh? :)

"Her unit got hired out by W-Y for some mission. Never to be seen again. All records scrubbed."

It was a routine mission on behalf of the Colonial Marines. Weyland-Yutani had zero pull over them. Burke tries to exert influence by essentially arguing from (non-existent) authority and Ripley points out he has none.

I don't believe for a moment that Burke hand-picked Gorman. He had no military rank. That would be like a Lockheed executive being invited along on a US Marine Corps mission and deciding which personnel get to go. Weyland-Yutani, like Lockheed, are just a supplier. Having lobbyists to try and affect government policies and legislation isn't the same thing as individual executives being able to interfere in a mission.

The quote outright claims the Marines "got hired" to look into LV-426. I mean, good grief... They're not mercenaries being chartered. They talk in the mess hall about always having to check on the well-being of colonies.

Could say the character, himself, is making a false assumption, but considering they're hyper-interested in what happened to Vasquez, you would have thought that they would have got that much right.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Burke not having a military rank doesn't mean he couldn't have picked Gorman. The books I mentioned are awfully specific on the topic.
We're talking about a fictional mega-company's relationship with a fictional military in a fictional future, it can be whatever the writers want it to be.

Burke tries to railroad the mission and Ripley shuts him down, because on paper Burke didn't have authority. If Gorman (hand picked by Burke) had still been awake and Burke was whispering in his ear, things might have played out differently if he decided to side with Burke over Ripley, regardless of anything she might say.

I'd chalk the comic's wording up to semantics - if Burke/the Company pulled a string or two to get the Marines deployed there or had picked Gorman personally, even if the lower ranking Marines aren't aware of the big picture, then yeah they were essentially "hired" if you read between the lines.

It's a heavy-handed and poorly-worded way to express the idea, but it doesn't contradict the picture painted in other sources (or the movie, from a certain point of view - I've always felt Gorman got picked by Burke, even before 3 independent officially licensed books outright confirmed it).

Sabres21768

Why is everyone calling this a "one shot"?
It's a new series, right?

It's listed as #1, as in there'll be more.

Xenomrph

One-shots are sometimes just listed as #1 even if they're #1 of 1.

That said Marvel's site doesn't say if it's a one shot or part of a series, so I dunno.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jul 15, 2021, 12:27:29 AM
Why is everyone calling this a "one shot"?
It's a new series, right?

It's listed as #1, as in there'll be more.

Nah, it's a one-shot. Marvel always brands their one-shots with a big #1 on the cover. #1s always sell well.

Here's the announcement:

QuoteThis July, Marvel Comics will honor the 35th Anniversary of Aliens with a special one-shot by writer Benjamin Percy (WOLVERINE, X-FORCE) and artist Dave Wachter (IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON). Celebrating one of the most influential science-fiction films of all time, ALIENS: AFTERMATH #1 will be a double-sized issue featuring an all-new story set in the same terrifying universe of Aliens. The action will take place at Hadley's Hope and present a terrifying possible future for LV-426, the location of the groundbreaking 1986 film.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/35th-anniversary-aliens-aftermath-1-announcement?linkId=116610333

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 14, 2021, 11:35:06 PM
Burke not having a military rank doesn't mean he couldn't have picked Gorman. The books I mentioned are awfully specific on the topic.

The 'Report' also claims Burke had "excellent people skills". :laugh: It gets even weirder when declaring it was "Weyland-Yutani administrators" acting on Burke's advice, who were personally responsible for "sending additional Marines," which does not match up with film canon.

The Alien is also categorised as being "necrotrophic," which means to not only kill a host organism, but to actively feed upon the resulting dead tissues, which isn't factually correct: It gestates in a living host and then evacuates, they never return to consume the cadaver they originally emerged from.

I'll be polite and not comment on how impractical some of the projected hardware at the end is. :)

It's a really nice presentation, but I don't regard it as accurate.

QuoteWe're talking about a fictional mega-company's relationship with a fictional military in a fictional future, it can be whatever the writers want it to be.

Up to a point, yeah. Then things can start to get unrealistic and silly. :)

QuoteBurke tries to railroad the mission and Ripley shuts him down, because on paper Burke didn't have authority. If Gorman (hand picked by Burke) had still been awake and Burke was whispering in his ear, things might have played out differently if he decided to side with Burke over Ripley, regardless of anything she might say.

Burke has literally no authority, whatsoever. The above book makes up a quote from him, saying he's "got a line" with Gorman and that Gorman is somehow in on it, financially, but I don't know where the hell the author got that impression from in the film.

Either way, it's not Weyland-Yutani who hires the Marines, as the book tries to make out. Marines would be operating under the same sort of protocol today's US Marine Corps does, who act exclusively under US government orders.

Especially when we see that Weyland-Yutani already has its own specimen retrieval team enforcers it would have called upon, as per 'Alien 3'. Ones which would have shut up and done as he told them. The whole point of the Hadley's Hope incident was that he wanted to cut corners instead of funding a proper mission out there. If this is the set-up we're meant to believe, then why not just send the A3 guys in the Marines' place?

QuoteI'd chalk the comic's wording up to semantics - if Burke/the Company pulled a string or two to get the Marines deployed there or had picked Gorman personally, even if the lower ranking Marines aren't aware of the big picture, then yeah they were essentially "hired" if you read between the lines.

He had no known strings to pull. He's not a member of the government or military. He wouldn't have any say on who gets chosen for the mission.

Nor does it even give any benefit to him. Let's say Gorman is supposedly in on it. What does that even achieve? Gorman's never in a position to do anything on Burke's behalf.

Except get distracted by him to shoot an Alien. :)

QuoteIt's a heavy-handed and poorly-worded way to express the idea, but it doesn't contradict the picture painted in other sources (or the movie, from a certain point of view - I've always felt Gorman got picked by Burke, even before 3 independent officially licensed books outright confirmed it).

It's a theory, granted, but as a definitive statement (as presented in this comic), it doesn't match up with the film.

Officially licenced books have tried to canonise there being Colonial Marines already at Hadley's Hope, but I call BS on that, too. Just as I call BS on 'Fire And Stone' contradicting the events of 'Aliens', too.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 15, 2021, 12:51:26 AM
It's a really nice presentation, but I don't regard it as accurate.
That's fair, I've got my issues with it as well. That said, just because the book got some things "wrong" doesn't mean it got EVERYthing wrong. :P
My point was "Burke picked Gorman" and "the Company has some leverage over the military" isn't an uncommon idea, three different authors drew the same conclusion from the movie (as did I). Evidently, so did the author of the comic.

QuoteWe're talking about a fictional mega-company's relationship with a fictional military in a fictional future, it can be whatever the writers want it to be.

Up to a point, yeah. Then things can start to get unrealistic and silly. :)
That really doesn't change what I said though. :P

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 15, 2021, 12:51:26 AMBurke has literally no authority, whatsoever. The above book makes up a quote from him, saying he's "got a line" with Gorman and that Gorman is somehow in on it, financially, but I don't know where the hell the author got that impression from in the film.
It's because Burke brings Gorman to Ripley and he's completely inexperienced and obviously unfamiliar to the other Marines. It's always the way the relationship came across to me - the Marines are all experienced, but the commander (a rookie) comes out of nowhere and is conveniently assigned to them when Burke has a vested interest? Seems like too much of a coincidence. We even know Burke will try to leverage his way into getting what he wants, he literally does it in the movie. Ripley just calls his bluff and he backs down because he doesn't have anyone at his back.

Either way, it's not Weyland-Yutani who hires the Marines, as the book tries to make out. Marines would be operating under the same sort of protocol today's US Marine Corps does, who act exclusively under US government orders.
We don't know this - it's still fictional, as I said.

Especially when we see that Weyland-Yutani already has its own specimen retrieval team enforcers it would have called upon, as per 'Alien 3'. Ones which would have shut up and done as he told them. The whole point of the Hadley's Hope incident was that he wanted to cut corners instead of funding a proper mission out there. If this is the set-up we're meant to believe, then why not just send the A3 guys in the Marines' place?
Leveraging the Marines to some degree in order to have them "on the books" isn't outside the real of possibility, as opposed to Alien3 where they could use their PMCs to do whatever they wanted since they own the planet.

QuoteI'd chalk the comic's wording up to semantics - if Burke/the Company pulled a string or two to get the Marines deployed there or had picked Gorman personally, even if the lower ranking Marines aren't aware of the big picture, then yeah they were essentially "hired" if you read between the lines.

He had no known strings to pull. He's not a member of the government or military. He wouldn't have any say on who gets chosen for the mission.
Not knowing the relationship the Company has with the military, you don't know this.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 15, 2021, 12:51:26 AMNor does it even give any benefit to him. Let's say Gorman is supposedly in on it. What does that even achieve? Gorman's never in a position to do anything on Burke's behalf.
He doesn't have to be "in on" Burke's plot to get an Alien (in fact I'd argue he's not). Burke just pulled strings to get Gorman, a malleable, wet-behind-the-ears Lieutenant, posted on the mission so Burke could leverage him should the need arise.
Like I said, had Gorman been awake when Burke tried to prevent the Marines from nuking the site from orbit, things could have played out differently.

Full disclosure, I'm not trying to defend the comic - I haven't even read it, and the spoilers I've read make it sound profoundly stupid, to the point that it makes the Colonial Marines videogame's plot sound like Shakespeare. I'm just defending the idea that WY can manipulate the USCM to some degree. I agree that the comic treating the USCM like full-on corporate PMCs they can control 100% is dumb, but I'm absolutely okay with WY having some degree of influence like choosing personnel or dictating a mission here or there.

EJA

How would Burke have known about the frozen infected colonist?

And why freeze only one colonist and not others that were infected? Doesn't make much sense to me.

And just how did Vasquez's smart-gun end up in Operations?

Still Collating...

The characters were okay, the story is silly and I find it non canon, the glowing alien was that bad though still unnecessary, but the art was really nice! The story and art were more fun and pleasant then the current Marvel run.

JDrums

So, I'm confused ... Is the colonist in stasis at the end of the story Newt's father?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed