Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 30,926 times)

The Old One

The Old One

No. Partially the story's concerning regaining faith. Ripley, the prisoners, humanity itself.

Can't do that if Hicks and Newt live.

bb-15

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 12, 2019, 01:43:02 PM
Hicks and Newt didn't need to die for Ripley to sacrifice herself.

I'm on board with this if Cameron writes and directs it.
If JC wants Ripley to wake up after falling into the vat from A3 saying she had a nightmare, fine.

JC has said he doesn't like killing off main characters. And we know from the "Aliens" cast what his ideas for a sequel were.
Something like "Terminator 2" with a family unit defending itself from a villain invader.
If JC did that, I'd watch it.
I just don't want Blomkamp after "Chappie" & "Elysium" to touch it.

;)

Huggs

Hicks and Newt were only in one movie. It's not like there had been some budding romance or relationships spread out over a trilogy before they were killed. Their importance in the overall narrative is a bit exaggerated. It was ridiculous enough that one person survived that many encounters.

The very moment the franchise is allowed to go terminator and do the "family vs" thing, it's all over. The alien will lose everything that makes it special. Right now it's still an experience. It stands out among the others. Aliens 2 would kill that. It would truly become "movie". Dependant on cliche and nostalgia for every breath. No different than terminator or the Jurassic series.

Alien is better than that. It's better than what everything else is doing. It's shouldn't be tied to any characters. It's bigger than Ripley. It's bigger than Hicks or insta-families, or happy endings, or any of Cameron's tropes.

Sorry Neil, sorry Jim. The actors are old, the characters are dead. Let it go.

#respectthebeast

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 09, 2019, 04:57:52 AM
Hicks and Newt were only in one movie. It's not like there had been some budding romance or relationships spread out over a trilogy before they were killed. Their importance in the overall narrative is a bit exaggerated. It was ridiculous enough that one person survived that many encounters.

The very moment the franchise is allowed to go terminator and do the "family vs" thing, it's all over. The alien will lose everything that makes it special. Right now it's still an experience. It stands out among the others. Aliens 2 would kill that. It would truly become "movie". Dependant on cliche and nostalgia for every breath. No different than terminator or the Jurassic series.

Alien is better than that. It's better than what everything else is doing. It's shouldn't be tied to any characters. It's bigger than Ripley. It's bigger than Hicks or insta-families, or happy endings, or any of Cameron's tropes.

Sorry Neil, sorry Jim. The actors are old, the characters are dead. Let it go.

#respectthebeast

Yes.  There are hundreds of potential stories to explore in this universe, if you put fan service in the way of making a good story you end up with modern Star Wars movies

Drukathi

Definitely - yes.

Also with alive Shaw. :)

The Old One

The Old One

Reply #212 correct.  ;D

#respectthebeast

D88M

Nah, i dont liked their characters much, too cliche to my taste, they add nothing.

Frosty Venom

Screw making Alien 3 a nightmare. Just make seperate timelines.

The Sulaco drifting through space after Aliens leaves room for multiple stories.

HuDaFuK

Always thought Hicks and Newt had served their purpose, story-wise. Plus, as others have said, the idea of the three of them becoming some kind of family unit pitted against the Aliens always struck me as pretty cringey, so I'm really glad they at least negated that.

Maybe I'm a nihilist, but to be honest, I always appreciated the balls the third film had in killing off all of its main characters, even if the execution was flawed. It certainly makes it stand out among big franchise movies, where anyone important is almost invariably protected by plot armour.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 15, 2019, 08:15:48 AM
Maybe I'm a nihilist, but to be honest, I always appreciated the balls the third film had in killing off all of its main characters, even if the execution was flawed. It certainly makes it stand out among big franchise movies, where anyone important is almost invariably protected by plot armour.

I'm of the same frame of mind. I know it's not actually intended to reinforce any actual themes of harshness or nihilism, but it works regardless and that's something about the film I actually really enjoy about it.

The Old One

The Old One

Hear hear.

Huggs

Gash

One of the best elements of Alien 3 is the demise of the cosy surrogate family.

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 15, 2019, 09:46:30 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 15, 2019, 08:15:48 AM

I'm of the same frame of mind. I know it's not actually intended to reinforce any actual themes of harshness or nihilism, but it works regardless and that's something about the film I actually really enjoy about it.
Yeah, I agree. Alien 3 is like Terminator 3, in that way. Killing off Newt and Hicks is like the Judgment Day ending - nobody expected it!

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed