The Lord of the Rings

Started by Shasvre, Jan 05, 2011, 06:21:44 AM

Author
The Lord of the Rings (Read 42,720 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

I just noticed there isn't a thread about the Lord of the Rings movies.

I imagine there are plenty of other fans here. Which movie is your favorite (if you can pick one)? Do you have any favorite character? What do you like most about the movies and what do you dislike? How would you rate them compared to the books? Are you a LOTR collector?

Feel free to discuss the books here as well.

Plenty of questions, I know. I'll make sure to answer some myself later on. :D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I'm just about as big a fan as you can find. On an emotional level, at least.

I have a fierce respect for both the books and the films, and believe they are on the same level, but I've always felt more attatched to the film adaptations. I'm really more of a closet fan, something only a few members her know about me. I rarely talk about it, but when I do, I talk about it a lot.

I collect as much merchandise as possible, and I'm currently working toward owning The Complete Recordings sets for each of the three installments (I recently got The Fellowship of the Ring's for Christmas).

I love every shot of the film, I love every line, I love every character, and the music makes my heart soar and the metaphors for life in these stories touches me deeply. This was one of the films that changed my life forever. Made me into a different person- a more open-minded, and emotional person.

I cannot see a greater series coming into my life- when somebody mentions beautiful stories, all I can think of is The Lord of the Rings.

"I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."

Shasvre

Shasvre

Very nicely put, Sweeper. :)

Yes, the score by Howard Shore is simply wonderful, probably the best I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY#

I could listen to that over and over again.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Shasvre on Jan 05, 2011, 07:48:00 AM
Very nicely put, Sweeper. :)

Yes, the score by Howard Shore is simply wonderful, probably the best I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY#

I could listen to that over and over again.
Have you ever been to any live performances of the music? I recently went to my first symphony presented by the local VSO (Vancouver Symphony Orchestra) and it was heavenly. They had people from the original choir recordings and LSO (London) guests as well. That one boy who performs "In Dreams" at the end of "The Breaking of the Fellowship" was amazing.

As I wrote about the show in the Recreational Area's "What made you happy today?" thread:

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 29, 2010, 01:57:25 AM
I just got back..

I don't think I've ever felt emotions like that in my entire life. That orchestra was my entire life.
The meaning of The Lord of the Rings is everything to me.

The beautiful vocals from the childrens choir cut through my soul and burried. The one young boy that did the solo for "The Breaking of the Fellowship" brought me to tears at the end of the first movement (The Fellowship of the Ring).

There is so much more I can be telling you all, but I'll keep that for later- something I wanted to mention is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life, with her voice that brought me out of my own body, and released me from any other thought in my mind- I was hers. She sung at various parts including "Evenstar", "Gollum's Song", and my favorite, "Into The West". Not only was she physically captivating, her voice was that of an angel, and I felt something of an impossible love for her that effected me in the strangest of ways. I had ascended and I forgot the hundreds of people in the room with me- it felt personal.

It's inspired me more than I can currently express through words.. I'm still in shock. It finished with tears in my eyes, and my hands shaking from pure emotion.

It was life, and my life was love.

Kaitlyn Lusk was amazing. I actually perfered her singing "Into the West" and "Gollum's Song" over Annie Lennox (who is fantastic either way, don't get me wrong). Brilliant stage presence, too- a lovely woman.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 05, 2011, 07:57:03 AMHave you ever been to any live performances of the music?

I have never gotten the chance. Would love to do it some day though.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 05, 2011, 07:57:03 AMKaitlyn Lusk was amazing. I actually perfered her singing "Into the West" and "Gollum's Song" over Annie Lennox (who is fantastic either way, don't get me wrong). Brilliant stage presence, too- a lovely woman.

I never liked "Into the West" when Return of the King came out, but now it's my favorite. :)

Effectz

Effectz

I love lord of the rings,amazing films,i remember when the first lord of the rings came out in the cinema,and when it said intermission i  seen people getting up(obviously for smoke break or stock up on move food but i did not know that the time)so i got up and left thinking it was over pissed off that i played all that money  :P pretty f**king stupid huh?

Prime113

Prime113

My favorite movie would probably be The Two Towers. I just love that movie. The ending battle is so epic. Favorite character is, by far, Legolas. He's such a badass!

I actually haven't read the books so it's hard for me to compare.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Spartan113 on Jan 05, 2011, 08:03:37 AMMy favorite movie would probably be The Two Towers. I just love that movie. The ending battle is so epic. Favorite character is, by far, Legolas. He's such a badass!

I actually haven't read the books so it's hard for me to compare.
That last scene when Rohirrim wipes out the Uruk-hai put a tear in my eye. Amazingly epic. :'(

I've been thinking of getting this for the bookshelf by the way.

Collects "The Book of Lost Tales Parts 1 and 2", "The Lays of Beleriand", "The Shaping of Middle-Earth" and "The Lost Road". I've read some of them before, about time I have a look at the rest as well.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Shasvre on Jan 05, 2011, 08:00:57 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 05, 2011, 07:57:03 AMHave you ever been to any live performances of the music?

I have never gotten the chance. Would love to do it some day though.
It's an absolute treat, and a truly beautiful experience

Quote from: Shasvre on Jan 05, 2011, 08:00:57 AM
I never liked "Into the West" when Return of the King came out, but now it's my favorite. :)
I remeber the standing ovation in the theater credits started rolling- the fact that I wasn't the only one teary eyed was nice.  :)

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

The Lord of the Rings is easily the best trilogy to ever grace cinema. As much as I love Star Wars, I think it surpasses the Original Trilogy.
My favourite one is The Return of the King hands down, which is a 10/10 masterpiece that I consider past decade's finest achievement in moviemaking.

Best scene of past decade's moviemaking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yOdAqBFcQ#noexternalembed-ws

Vulhala

Vulhala

I love the books and the films. Return of the King is by far the best movie of the last decade. Two Towers drags like hell, but that's the point I guess. The book is very much the same.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I consider both the books and the films to be respectively one big, great magna opus, a great representation of art in all its forms. If one ever asked to me, what's your favourite Lord of the Rings book/film... I'd simply reply with "Lord of the Rings, of course!"
I've got more on the films than on the book admittedly... they always have been a big part of my life. I was hooked by everything, how it was done and presented... the extended cuts made me love the whole film even more.
I've got the complete anthology book (what an enormous brick, but damn if it's worth it), all three extended cuts just full of extras (le yum... watched them all), and of course the beautiful score for all three films. I'm listening to The Two Towers right now. ;D

And of course, the best speech ever is in Return of the King...

Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers,
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
A day may come when the courage of men fails,
when we forsake our friends,
and break all bonds of fellowship.
but it is not this day.
An hour of wolves and shattered shields,
when the age of men comes crashing down,
but it is not this day!
This day we fight!!
By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,
I bid you stand, Men of the West!

One of the most grand moments in the history of cinema... the power in those words is immense.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

New Years Day 2002. I knew absolutely jack shit about the fantasy genre (unless you count having read the first Harry Potter book, and not really caring for it). I'd been raised entirely in sci-fi up to that point, but my Dad says hey, we're going to go see that Lord of the Rings movie in the theater. I hadn't seen any trailers. I hadn't seen any photographs. I knew nothing of the plot. I had only a vague idea of what a hobbit was.

To say that The Fellowship of the Ring changed my life would be an understatement. That was an unexperience not entirely unlike falling in love for the first time for me. Extremely powerful stuff. In the intervening years, my interest waned somewhat, but I've only just recently started playing Lord of the Rings Online, now that its gone free to play. Fantastic game, and its only reinforced everything I loved about the films and books in the first place (If anyone's interested, I run a kinship (guild) called Rangers of the West on server Gladden).

m41guy

m41guy

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 05, 2011, 12:40:58 PM

And of course, the best speech ever is in Return of the King...

Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers,
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
A day may come when the courage of men fails,
when we forsake our friends,
and break all bonds of fellowship.
but it is not this day.
An hour of wolves and shattered shields,
when the age of men comes crashing down,
but it is not this day!
This day we fight!!
By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,
I bid you stand, Men of the West!

One of the most grand moments in the history of cinema... the power in those words is immense.

It is good, but I prefer Theoden's speech before the charge on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdnqZcmWk8U#noexternalembed-ws

I don't know if I could pick a favorite movie...I like so many scenes and elements of each one...I'll just say I love the Trilogy. 

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

I see it as one story, which is why I can't watch them over several nights, I watch all three in one day. Mainly because of two towers. If I watched that on it's own a day or two after fellowship it would feel weird becuse the nature of the film and plot structure.

I only watch them one or twice a year. Even though it is one of my favourite series ever.

EDIT:
My lord of the rings disc jump so I am going to re buy them, I am either going to get the blu-ray or the ones with extended versions in the smart collectors boxes.
First of is the blu-ray worth it?
Are the new cuts preferable over the better picture?

For people that own or have seen both the blu-ray and the extended versions, which one is your favourite?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed