FOX's Line Between Pre & Post Canon

Started by Denton Smalls, Apr 13, 2018, 05:08:58 PM

Author
FOX's Line Between Pre & Post Canon (Read 5,178 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe Disney can put the LFL Story Group in charge of the Alien brand after the acquisition gets finalized.  They'll probably need a new name, though, if they're going to oversee another universe.

They might need to hire an SM too.

SM

SM

I can't imagine they'll do that while Riddles is still there.

Local Trouble

Riddles is 80 and I'm taking the long view.

SM

SM

Yeah in the long term something like that would help.

Local Trouble

It's your destiny.

SM

SM

Quite.

Now I just need them to give me a regular paycheck.

Local Trouble

That's a given.

Then we can all debate what SM thinks about pre and post canon.

gantarat

What the point to Make Canon EU If Fox let Ridley Make movies that contradict EU Story anyway ?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2018, 10:49:33 AM
Maybe Disney can put the LFL Story Group in charge of the Alien brand after the acquisition gets finalized.  They'll probably need a new name, though, if they're going to oversee another universe.

Hold my beer.

Quote from: gantarat on Apr 15, 2018, 02:50:14 PM
What the point to Make Canon EU If Fox let Ridley Make movies that contradict EU Story anyway ?

It's almost as if canon is a meaningless construct on a macro level, and isn't a useful concept for fans. :o

Ultramorph

Revenge of the Canon Debates!  :laugh:

EJA

EJA

Covenant contradicted some of the newer EU stuff. One of the recent books has people discover Alien eggs millions of years old, and Covenant established that they're a new species in the future.

SM

SM

'Cos the big money is in films, and Ridley Scott brings a certain amount of capital.

The desire is to have cohesion between films and licensed material, but you don't hire Riddles and then tell him 'you can't do that, because it will contradict some comic'.

As LT said, once he's done with the films it may be simpler.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 15, 2018, 03:52:58 PM

Hold my beer.

You don't think they'll go for "fuzzy continuity?"

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 15, 2018, 03:52:58 PM

Hold my beer.

You don't think they'll go for "fuzzy continuity?"
Frankly I think they would. It instantly solves all continuity problems when every source is potentially unreliable, it gives creators the freedom to tell the story they want to tell without being hamstrung by someone else's obscure story from X years ago (or the fear that their work will be retconned into oblivion by someone else's story), and frankly it plays into the already existing uncertain half-whispers present in the Alien universe while explicitly giving the fans the onus to believe what they want to believe and be more creatively engaged with the franchise on a personal level.

There's a reason why other franchises take this approach.

gantarat

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2018, 08:25:32 PM

'Cos the big money is in films, and Ridley Scott brings a certain amount of capital.

The desire is to have cohesion between films and licensed material, but you don't hire Riddles and then tell him 'you can't do that, because it will contradict some comic'.

As LT said, once he's done with the films it may be simpler.

AvP Cinematic Universe is coming

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed