Predators
29 (3.5%)
The Predator
3 (0.4%)
Prey
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 756

Author
Favourite Predator Movie? (Read 322,299 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2022, 10:39:38 AMThe second [RoboCop] is to the original what Jaws 2 is to Jaws. Not awful, just really "ok" with one or two good scenes.

It's funny those two films have come up in this thread, because I consider RoboCop 2, Jaws 2 and Predator 2 to be perhaps the three most unjustly hated sequels. Most of the derision they got seemed to focus on the fact they weren't as good as the first one, but if you take them on their own I think they're all fantastically entertaining movies, and far better than a heap of other action movies that are floating around out there.

(While I'm on the topic, special mentions to Temple of Doom and Die Hard 2.)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Die Hard With A Vengeance's my favourite one.

SiL

SiL

I don't think they're unjustly hated. It's  easy to say they're hated in comparison to their predecessors, but if there wasn't a prior film those movies would've faded into obscurity even faster.

Predator 2 would go the way of Split Second, Jaws 2 the way of the countless Jaws knockoffs. We'd know about them as obscure schlock gems, worth a watch but not that great.

The problem isn't that there's nothing good in them - Jaws 2 has one of the best monster movie kills ever - it's just that the bits between the good moments are just really unremarkable and in some of those films, flat out boring.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I have always loved Jaws but I don't really care for Jaws 2. I used to like it but now many of the characters annoy me too much for the good bits to be worth it.

Same with robocop except I still enjoy the sequel. It's like Robocop 2 is the bigger dumber brother to the first film
but he's a fun guy lol.

I've always preferred the original predator but P2 has always been a favorite of mine also. Just a violent fun movie that really nails everything regarding the Predator creature (wonky
face effect shots aside).

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'd say Predator 2 is the best of those three. Jaws 2 is an alright but not terribly special shark movie, and Robocop 2 feels like a bunch of scenes that barely connect. And the villains are stupid as shit. Sure, put the psychotic drug lord's brain in a robot, that can't possibly go wrong. :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 02, 2022, 05:35:41 PMRobocop 2 feels like a bunch of scenes that barely connect.

To be fair, it was apparently massively recut during the edit with entire subplots taken out.

For all RoboCop 2's faults, the insane finale with RoboCain going on a rampage make the film a worthwhile watch. Probably the last Hollywood blockbuster to go with stop-motion too.

Master

Master

Quote from: SiL on Aug 02, 2022, 09:06:32 AMI don't think they're unjustly hated. It's  easy to say they're hated in comparison to their predecessors, but if there wasn't a prior film those movies would've faded into obscurity even faster.

Predator 2 would go the way of Split Second, Jaws 2 the way of the countless Jaws knockoffs. We'd know about them as obscure schlock gems, worth a watch but not that great.

The problem isn't that there's nothing good in them - Jaws 2 has one of the best monster movie kills ever - it's just that the bits between the good moments are just really unremarkable and in some of those films, flat out boring.

I have Spilt Second bluray in steelbook edition and Dark Angel is somewhere in my movie collection- guilty as charged :laugh:

As for P2 if where wasn't first movie it would still be remembered I think. Seriously,  it's probably the most underrated sequel of all times. It's far above all other films with Predator except the first one which is vintage year instant classic  and one of the best action movies of all time. P2 is entering powerhouse.  Louder, faster then the first movie, yet still finds it's time to be smart and mysterious.

SiL

SiL

We remember Split Second, but most don't. And that would be the same for P2 without the rest of the franchise carrying it. ;D 

The biggest problem is nothing actually happens.

I mean, lots of stuff happens, but it's lacking any kind of real underlying theme or development.

Harrigan learns nothing. He never has to change or adapt. Standing on a rooftop does not count.

The situation never really develops - there's never a sense that things are going anywhere, or that the situation is escalating.

And then it ends.

So while it's plenty big and loud and full of glorious schlock and scenery chewing and excess, there's no substance, and so it always feels that bit empty.

That's how I see it anyway.

judge death

judge death

Quote from: SiL on Aug 02, 2022, 08:37:36 PMSplit Second
Split second is great, one of my fave movies actually, like omegamorph said: Ever since I was 13 years and just discovered judge death, the creature in split second is basicly judge death, making the movie even better :D Also several references to comics in that movie too.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Dark Angel is one of my guilty pleasures for sure.

I come in peace  8)

SiL

SiL

I'd never heard of it but now it's on the list!

Master

Master

Quote from: SiL on Aug 03, 2022, 04:37:54 AMI'd never heard of it but now it's on the list!

Basically Predator 2 with Dolph Lundgren and without Predator. Fun stuff!

judge death

judge death

Dark angel is fun and I liked it when I watched it a few years back, some good effects and gore and disturbing stuff but fun and good action. :D

PredatorvsAliens

PredatorvsAliens

predator of course but the 2 one is close behind it.

Lionhart

Lionhart

Come on guys, drop some votes in here. Haven't watched prey yet but I'm curious to see how it stacks up with the rest of the movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed