Stephen Hopkins Talks Keyes Floating Torso!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 07, 2021, 04:00:03 PM

Author
Stephen Hopkins Talks Keyes Floating Torso! (Read 2,957 times)

Corporal Hicks

We recently had the pleasure of being joined by Predator 2's director Stephen Hopkins for the 121st episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast! We talked about plenty of things ranging from his experience as a new director, how the film would have been different had Arnie been involved and the NC-17 cut!

We also asked him some of those questions that fans have been wondering about for some time, and one of those was what happened to Peter Keyes' torso after City Hunter threw the disk at him which you can listen to here.

Be sure to check back in with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy on 8th of January at 4pm GMT for our full interview with Predator 2's director Stephen Hopkins!

SuperiorIronman

That's neat, always was a weird cut to me but cool to note it was just for the censors.

Voodoo Magic

Hopkins said if the shot would have lingered further we would have seen Peter's upper half fall too. So, to make the moment last without the upper torso showing, maybe that's why the whole entire shot was put into a state of low frame slow motion. Perhaps the scene would have looked fine with no lingering blood stream if they let it fly at the normal 24 frames per second?

Kailem

Ha, the mystery is finally solved! :laugh:

That certainly makes a lot more sense than it just being a goof or something we "missed" somehow, because it was always such a weird thing not to explicitly show in that situation.

Also cool to actually have confirmation on one of the pieces of long-lost NC-17/MPAA cut footage too, after they've gained almost mythic status at this point. I guess that means Stan Winston Studios made a mock Gary Busey torso that was, at least for a while there, floating around out there (no pun intended :P ).

Either way, it's nice to finally have an answer after 30 years! :laugh:

Master Chief

Sure, Stephen, I believe you.  :P  It's still floating as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

Darkness

I always thought it was pinned to something out of camera.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Darkness on Jan 07, 2021, 07:59:50 PM
I always thought it was pinned to something out of camera.

That's how I worked it out in my mind, his upper half fell on a meat hook.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master Chief on Jan 07, 2021, 06:47:10 PM
Sure, Stephen, I believe you.  :P  It's still floating as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

Well, Keyes was full of hot air...

Spoiler
[close]

Master Chief

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 07, 2021, 11:54:57 PM
Quote from: Master Chief on Jan 07, 2021, 06:47:10 PM

Well, Keyes was full of hot air...

Spoiler
[close]

426Buddy

Awesome stuff guys! Can't wait for the whole thing!

BigDaddyJohn

Well it makes sense, but hearing it from Hopkins himself feels kinda relieving after all this time  :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

One Mystery solved then lol

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 08, 2021, 11:02:36 AM
Well it makes sense, but hearing it from Hopkins himself feels kinda relieving after all this time  :laugh:

The nightmares are finally over and we can rest!  :D

Lionhart

Thanks for the interview and well done hicks and vodoo. Just wished we could have gotten the uncut version.

Highland

Wonder if in some dark basement in New York a dusty version of the gore is there. Either way, doesn't sound like we missed out on too much anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed