Disorder In The House-What IS Going On?!

Started by Toxic34, Nov 16, 2015, 05:25:06 PM

Author
Disorder In The House-What IS Going On?! (Read 1,463 times)

Toxic34

The swirl or reports and rumors following the announcement that Alien 5 is being shelved for the time being has left me the most confused I've ever been when it comes to the development of a movie. This is especially in the wake of reported comments by Ridley Scott that he regrets not doing anything with the series after the first film and would like to keep it to himself. Considering Scott's history of breaking commitments with film projects, choosing scripts that don't suit his talents, and inconsistent track record, this is very concerning, if true.

Everything seemed so much simpler when the announcement of the film being greenlit by 20th Century Fox, and everyone that really mattered signing contracts to do the film arrived and raised our hopes. But now, everything has just descended into a mix of confusion and consternation.

This all leads to the important question: What in the hell is going on here?! How did everything descend into total anarchy? I also can't help but wonder if the Internet pressure that came when Neill Blomkamp tweeted that concept art and made 20th Century Fox decide to approve the idea is to blame here. Did the cart get put before the horse? Is it possible that there's really nothing there, and that this is the cinema equivalent of vaporware?

If I were in charge of everything, I'd keep to schedule, and not let scares about Terminator Genisys disallow for a retcon of eliminating 3 and Resurrection, possibly merely state that it's an AU film and a "what if?", so as to keep people who want 3 and Resurrection to stay canon happy. I would allow Alien 5 to be shot at the same time as Paradise Lost/Covenant, and then withhold the release for a year after Paradise Lost/Covenant to maximize earning potential. I'd of course also ensure not just that Scott and Scott Free Productions join Brandywine in assuming production duties, but have input from James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment, though not enough to have their names in the credits, especially in terms of allowing the Avatar sequels to push on without any snags or obstacles besides technical. And I'd push for a tie-in FPS game to go along with the film, especially to mark a full redemption from the clusterf**k of Colonial Marines (though I do hope it and AvP 2010 part of the Xbox One backwards compatibility for completion's sake with the Xbox One copy of Isolation).

If Scott really is doing all of these things and basically holding everything hostage, I'd want Blomkamp, Cameron, Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender and assorted others to confront him and get him to change his mind and allow for filming to occur at the same time as long as the film is withheld from release for a year. At this moment, if we're gonna get a satisfactory ending to the series, it's now or never. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

windebieste

That 'iron' you speak of went cold decades ago.

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

No that Iron is till very hot.  Aliens was THAT good.  We still deserve a proper sequel with more of that Aliens vibe..

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

QuoteI would allow Alien 5 to be shot at the same time as Paradise Lost/Covenant,

I'm guessing that's exactly what they don't want to do, hence the delay.  Having one director and crew film two or more sequels at once minimizes cost.  Having two directors and two crews both filming separate Alien movies that may not even be connected storywise doubles the expense and risk. That's probably too much of a gamble for FOX, even after the financial success of Prometheus

THE CITY HUNTER

Its over.(Have you noticed Neil keeps changing his words first he is like Alien 3 will NOT be retconned then he says it is.also  alien 5 is not being delayed then he says it is getting delayed.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Nov 20, 2015, 02:53:55 PM
Its over.(Have you noticed Neil keeps changing his words first he is like Alien 3 will NOT be retconned then he says it is.also  alien 5 is not being delayed then he says it is getting delayed.

I don't think they are sold on his pitch. I think they like the idea of doing certain things, but not others. I especially expect this from Ridley Scott and I think Sigourney Weaver is likely to listen to him.

In all actuality, she is the one who can get this made. If she teams up with Ridley, in a good way, it will happen. But I am willing to bet any amount of money they (FOX) are asking for a version of the script that doesn't ignore A3 and A4. EVEN JUST TO HEAR IDEAS. This will definitely come up.
Im not saying that because that's what I prefer, either. It may not happen, but you can be sure they will want to hear a pitch for a version that includes instead of discludes. This is not the TERMINATOR. There has yet to be any time travel or trapdoor to use and FOX doesn't want it to be that fanciful (unless Engineer tech brings that into it, and God I hope not!). It was the same with A:R. They said "write a script for A4" and then once it was done, they said "Now can you find a way to bring Ripley back?" And likely A4 would have been better without that. She was dead... but they went with it!

I'm also thinking the dynamic changed once Ridley and Weaver talked about it. They've been in contact over the yrs about ALIEN and Sigs always seemed to trust Ridley Scott most to me. I'm not sure where BLOMKAMP would fit with that. Of course this is all conjecture.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 20, 2015, 11:26:33 PM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Nov 20, 2015, 02:53:55 PM

I don't think they are sold on his pitch.
soild you mean?

Xenomorphine

I don't think they are sold on his pitch. I think they like the idea of doing certain things, but not others. I especially expect this from Ridley Scott and I think Sigourney Weaver is likely to listen to him.

In all actuality, she is the one who can get this made. If she teams up with Ridley, in a good way, it will happen. But I am willing to bet any amount of money they (FOX) are asking for a version of the script that doesn't ignore A3 and A4. EVEN JUST TO HEAR IDEAS. This will definitely come up.

If that were true, the project would never have been green-lit.

It has.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 21, 2015, 12:49:31 AM

If that were true, the project would never have been green-lit.

It has.

Unfortunately, no. This isn't the case at all. A film can get green-lit without a script. Tom Cruise does this all the time. This does have a script but realize that Sigourney's involvement played a huge part in getting this up and running. An actors involvement can get something green lit without a script... But aside from that, green lighting a film doesn't refer to a script. It just usually coincides.
Major rewrites happen after green light all the time. Look at the history of this franchise! Damon Lindeloff drastically changed major aspects of the Prometheus script with sets built already. A:R,... see what I wrote above, and Alien 3... Well, that's a looooong story. You can bet they will ask someone to polish this. You can be Ridley will want other eyes on it and you can bet someone will ask for a version that includes all the films. Whether anyone likes that version, is unknown.

I absolutely guarantee there is no SHOOTING SCRIPT yet and there will be multiple drafts. There NEVER isn't with a film like this. Too many people with money involved, and Ridley always plays ball with the studio. If you were thinking of spending 400 million dollars, wouldn't you want to invest some money making sure you have the right script and then fine tuning it?
They even do this with spec scripts, before green lighting anything, often.

Im NOT saying the ideas they have now AREN'T good or the best version but there will be other versions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed