Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 150,029 times)

cucuchu

cucuchu

For anyone that has seen the film: How was score? A lot of us have heard much of the soundtrack but was it utilized well in the movie? The "main theme" listed piece (I believe it was Planet 4), had a lot of Goldsmith elements from Alien, so was there a lot of musical callbacks to Alien throughout the film?

Infected

Infected

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 04, 2017, 10:28:51 PM
So far; so much better than just good.

Also to the group of you who won't stop gripping. Could you guys please stop griping. This is the early reactions to Covenant thread and not the let's gripe about our gripes thread. I mean it's hard to get to the reactions in between all of the griping. Yes and I too, like to gripe myself but it has become annoying as hell.

Now what is this "should've Shaw it coming" thing about? I figure the Alien is the real engineer and there will be 1 million aliens at the end of the movie.
Ive got 2000 posts, there are 2000 eggs and 2000 embryo's and 2000 years ago space Jesus was murdered, your argument is invalid.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: cucuchu on May 04, 2017, 10:30:54 PM
For anyone that has seen the film: How was score? A lot of us have heard much of the soundtrack but was it utilized well in the movie? The "main theme" listed piece (I believe it was Planet 4), had a lot of Goldsmith elements from Alien, so was there a lot of musical callbacks to Alien throughout the film?
Curious about this too. Also, was there any music from Prometheus in the film?

Oh, and do we learn anything new about the engineers or the black goo?

rabidranger

The idea that it's more of a direct sequel to Prometheus is awesome news to me.

Corporal Hicks

What the hell have I just been reading? Stop antagonizing each other and stop calling each other names! Jesus Christ guys, are you adults or not? Don't make me sit here removing people's abilities to post after I get in from the premiere!

whiterabbit

Quote from: Predaker on May 04, 2017, 10:40:27 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on May 04, 2017, 10:28:51 PM
So far; so much better than just good.

Also to the group of you who won't stop gripping. Could you guys please stop griping. This is the early reactions to Covenant thread and not the let's gripe about our gripes thread. I mean it's hard to get to the reactions in between all of the griping. Yes and I too, like to gripe myself but it has become annoying as hell.

Now what is this "should've Shaw it coming" thing about? I figure the Alien is the real engineer and there will be 1 million aliens at the end of the movie.

^^

That was someone who thought they were slick by toeing outside the embargo line. Apparently the source of David's eggs is supposedly something obvious once you "connect the dots" in ALIEN and Prometheus.
Oh and they cut the alien jumping through the corridor scene right? For a second I thought they cut the scene you're using for your signature. :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Rightio - I liked it, I didn't love it. It was a better experience than Prometheus (and the AvPs and Resurrection) but it wasn't pretending to be some lofty film. I loved the characters and the cast. Fassbender still rocks - as David and Walter. The film looks gorgeous as expected.

However, it's brisk as f**k. This is Ridley chopping his film up like he did Prometheus. And the way the Alien's are handled...I wouldn't say it ruined the film for me but I'm surprised I didn't smash my face in with some facepalms.

That's all I'll say until Saturday/Sunday when I can post my full review.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 04, 2017, 10:53:36 PM
Rightio - I liked it, I didn't love it. It was a better experience than Prometheus (and the AvPs and Resurrection) but it wasn't pretending to be some lofty film. I loved the characters and the cast. Fassbender still rocks - as David and Walter. The film looks gorgeous as expected.

However, it's brisk as f**k. This is Ridley chopping his film up like he did Prometheus. And the way the Alien's are handled...I wouldn't say it ruined the film for me but I'm surprised I didn't smash my face in with some facepalms.

So pacing issues again? Similar to Prometheus in that regard? That was my main complaint about P.

Xenomorphine

As Hicks says, people, if you feel the need to vent, leave the keyboard and breathe, then come back.

Civility towards fellow forum members is a condition of being allowed to continue.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

What would rate on scale of 1 -10, and do you think this will do good for another film

Corporal Hicks

As it stands, I'd say about 6/7. That said I never really trust my first impressions so we'll see after I have chance to think about it (and see it again. Which I will be.)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Did it feel a bit too short or is that Ridley doesn't leave it enough breathing space? Obviously the original Alien is a bit more slow build and tense. I get the feeling that Ridley is trying too hard to make this a bit more exiting? Is it action/pace at the expense of tension?

cucuchu

cucuchu

Thank you! I am still quite optimistic and I find that the manner in which the Aliens themselves are going to be handled is touchy for a lot of us so I'll go in with an open mind on the 18th (without reading your full review beforehand, no disrespect, but I don't want my perspective to be shaped beforehand).

One thing though, you mention the movie is brisk. It is 2 hours long, much like Prometheus, so is it a case of the movie just trying to pack in more than it should have and just abruptly jumping between scenes to keep progressing forward as to ensure all elements of the plot are shoved into the 2 hour window?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed