Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,259 times)

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 28, 2021, 05:31:24 AM
What score would you give to the actual movie ?

I'll just say I liked Prometheus far more than covenant...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Oct 28, 2021, 12:44:19 AMAlien covenant ((3/5)

So... it's been a long time since I've read a movie novel but I remember reading some when I was younger and liking them because they offered more insight and scenes to the movie, pretty much expanding on the source. (I could be wrong though)
But this did not do any of that, it's just a copy and paste of the movie and less dramatic. So I was pretty bummed about that....oh well...

Wut?

It does loads of that. It fixes quite a few of the plot holes with the film in the process.

Surprising that you didn't like it because it's always seemed to me that the consensus is it's a substantial improvement on the movie, much like the Resurrection novel.

Kradan

Kradan

I kinda agree with Gentleman Death. Not that it was a bad book, but it didn't really provided me with anything more than what I've already seen in the actual movie. Truth be old, all of ADF novelisations were kinda just retellings of movies' events in text form for me. Enjoyable, if I want to experience the movie without actually watching it and drag out the experience for a couple extra hours but nothing more

Gentleman Death

It's not that I didn't like it, but I went in thinking there's be more and for me, it wasn't.

I might just still be bitter that they didn't continue Shaws' storyline...

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: Neomorph-01 on Jun 11, 2021, 10:58:26 PM
I have enjoyed reading Aliens Infiltrator.
Is it just me or do the Xenomorph specimens in this book put me in mind of Gremlins 2 the New Batch. Love the albino Drone variant.
It's funny to note that Joe Dante (the director of Gremlins) didn't want to make a sequel. He only finally agreed if he got triple the budget and complete creative control. So Gremlins 2 was basically him just saying "F You" to the studio and making the most bizarre stuff he could come up with. By his own admission, Gremlins 2 is Joe Dante satirizing Gremlins.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 28, 2021, 01:26:18 PM
I kinda agree with Gentleman Death. Not that it was a bad book, but it didn't really provided me with anything more than what I've already seen in the actual movie. Truth be old, all of ADF novelisations were kinda just retellings of movies' events in text form for me. Enjoyable, if I want to experience the movie without actually watching it and drag out the experience for a couple extra hours but nothing more

And often Ridley Scott's visuals can elevate just an average script, spectacular depictions often missing in work-for-hire novelizations.

Gentleman Death

I finally decided to jump into the Alien Vs Predator novels starting with Prey.

Before I get started is there a particular order I should be reading them other than Prey to Hunters Planet to War?

SiL

SiL

That's it. Hunter's Planet and War are kind of competing sequels to the original but that's the release order.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: SiL on Feb 15, 2022, 03:01:59 AM
That's it. Hunter's Planet and War are kind of competing sequels to the original but that's the release order.

Ok, just wanted to verify before starting as I didn't see anything else other than stand alone predator novels or comics.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

As SiL says, Hunter's Planet and War are alternative sequels to the first, so it doesn't really matter which order you read those two.

War is also a sequel to Aliens: Berserker, so you might wanna read that first if you can get hold of it, as a bunch of characters carry over. (Berserker's awesome and well worth a read too.)

Corporal Hicks

Easily one of the best of the Bantam - and over all - Alien novels.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, the Berserker novel's awesome. Manages to add so much to the fairly trite comic.

SiL

SiL

An ideal reading list would be Prey, Berserk, War as a trilogy, as Hunter's Planet is fairly standalone. Berserk is in the 7th volume of the Bantam omnibus from memory.

Did Stephanie Perry work on Prey, or was that pure Steve?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It was the both of them.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The EU Novels from Bantam are part of the lore forever embedded in my dna.  I read the vast majority of them in MS and HS (that age pretty much formed the kind of media I enjoy today) and realize they are not high art, but I love almost all of them despite their flaws and simple storytelling. 

The novels we are getting now are technically better, they are original (as in they aren't adapted from DH comics), the writing is more nuanced, and they are usually longer stories, and Into Charybdis is the apex of the EU novels, but I will not ever shit on the bantam novelizations just because of my past love for them. 

If somebody gave me free reign to make an Alien story in either book or movie form, I cannot say I wouldn't be influenced by the old EU.

AvP2 also was a huge influence for me out of the EU. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed