Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 33,011 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2021, 08:59:09 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 03:48:50 AM
Indicating that he felt it was nonsense.
Indicating he thought it was small. He doesn't question it. Anything beyond that is projection. If they wanted to show he thought it was ludicrous there are much clearer ways.
I'm inclined to agree. Like I think Kane was doing. 1200km is tiny.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Strange that what they land on doesn't seem tiny.

426Buddy

426Buddy

We've certainly given it more thought that any of the creators that's for sure lol.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 07, 2021, 02:20:07 PM
We've certainly given it more thought that any of the creators that's for sure lol.
Well that's what fandoms are best at :P

Kradan

Kradan

Nitpicking and proud

Local Trouble

Quote from: Stitch on Feb 07, 2021, 12:39:40 PM

Indicating he thought it was small. He doesn't question it. Anything beyond that is projection. If they wanted to show he thought it was ludicrous there are much clearer ways.

Yeah, it's tiny, but not unusually so.  Enceladus, the sixth-largest moon of Saturn, is only ~500km.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2021, 05:39:08 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Feb 07, 2021, 12:39:40 PM

Yeah, it's tiny, but not unusually so.  Enceladus, the sixth-largest moon of Saturn, is only ~500km.
The problem isn't the size, it's its other properties if it's that small.
They land a starship the length of a football field on it, get out and walk around normally, and see that it's got an atmosphere.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 07:04:12 PM
The problem isn't the size, it's its other properties if it's that small.
They land a starship the length of a football field on it, get out and walk around normally, and see that it's got an atmosphere.

Atmosphere found on Enceladus

QuoteAt just 500 kilometres across, the moon's gravity is insufficient to keep hold of the water vapour for long. This means that a strong flow of water must continually replenish the atmosphere, suggesting that Enceladus may be volcanically active or possess steamy geysers.

Sound familiar?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Slight difference between Enceladus' atmosphere and a breathable one. The bit you quoted even points out it can't hold the atmosphere, in opposition to what we see in the movies.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 07:54:03 PMSlight difference between Enceladus' atmosphere and a breathable one. The bit you quoted even points out it can't hold the atmosphere, in opposition to what we see in the movies.

It wasn't breathable until the company set up an atmosphere processor on it though.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2021, 08:03:46 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 07:54:03 PMSlight difference between Enceladus' atmosphere and a breathable one. The bit you quoted even points out it can't hold the atmosphere, in opposition to what we see in the movies.

It wasn't breathable until the company set up an atmosphere processor on it though.
The point is that it shouldn't be able to hold it, atmosphere processor or not.
And it still had a dense atmosphere as we see in 'Alien', it's just not breathable.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 08:10:06 PM
The point is that it shouldn't be able to hold it, atmosphere processor or not.
And it still had a dense atmosphere as we see in 'Alien', it's just not breathable.

How did you determine its atmospheric density?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

With my eyes, based on what we see in the movie.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 08:14:45 PM
With my eyes, based on what we see in the movie.

So no dialogue or anything, just your subjective analysis of the visuals?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I will say that when the Sulaco arrives above the planet, lv-426 appears to be far larger than 1200km, if we're including the sequel in this discussion that is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed