Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,712 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 27, 2015, 03:09:16 AM
... and uh, when it comes out and it's one of the best films the series has seen in years, will your opinion change then? Because I can see being upset or confused about a potential retcon, but judging the film itself based on that is silly.

I never said it wasnt going to be good, personaly I think it will be on pair with the last movies which despite my disappointment I still enjoyed to some degree. But I wont consider this one to be part of the franchise just like I dont consider many comics.

Gash

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 09:15:14 PM
Of course, we want the story finished but it is disgraceful how much Prometheus tried to advertise itself as an Alien movie when it wanted to be something completely different.

Jesus. The reason Scott had to do all the back peddling and start saying it was a 'sort of' prequel was exactly because of the expectations of fan boys wanting aliens all over the place. Not all prequels have to take the 'Darth Vader built C3PO route.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:38:02 AM
Well, if people are going to complain about retconning titles then they should have done it earlier when Prometheus supposedly retconned the AVP films.  Obviously, I get that nobody wanted those films to be canon but they still should have stuck up for the principle of not retconning films (like I did); now, if this new film really is a retcon then it's too late.  It was inevitable that should fans think it's okay to retcon movies, then movie producers would take the next step and retcon even BIGGER things than AVP.  It seems things are going as I predicted, but one thing I did not predict was how thrilled I'd be that Alien 3 (and Newt's death) would be the one getting the axe.  Yay. ;D
Freaking THIS. Lot's of hypocrisy. You give them 5 inches, then they take 5 feet. The community pretty much gave their blessing after the AvP's. Now we deal with the consequences. We allowed it to happen.

But for most of us these are pretty cool consequences. Later on it might bite us in the ass but for now we are happy to get a pure alien film again.

Alien³

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 27, 2015, 03:29:56 AM
but for now we are happy to get a pure alien film again.

So you were un-happy since 2012?

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 03:35:04 AM

I think we both know that wasn't a pure Alien film. But the answer would be no because I loved Prometheus. I'm happy to have a sequel happening there too. And Predator. What a time to be alive!

Adam802

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 03:35:04 AM

un-happy since 1997.  At least in terms of "alien-only" movies.  In actuality, ive been "unhappy" since 1992, but I digress.

Im VERY happy to be finally getting a PURE Alien-only movie since 1997.  AVP movies didn't count bc it had predators in it, and Prometheus never wanted to be an Alien movie so I dont count it.  Especially after the LAUGHABLE explanation for the Space Jockey...bald blue guy in a suit.  So stupid. Just my opinion, though.

Gash

Marble white actually, that was sort of the point.

Adam802

Quote from: Gash on Feb 27, 2015, 03:48:58 AM
Marble white actually, that was sort of the point.

ah of course, marble white.  my mistake silly me.

Alien³

Alien³

Blame Giger circa 1977.

predxeno

Quote from: Gash on Feb 27, 2015, 03:26:58 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 09:15:14 PM
Of course, we want the story finished but it is disgraceful how much Prometheus tried to advertise itself as an Alien movie when it wanted to be something completely different.

Jesus. The reason Scott had to do all the back peddling and start saying it was a 'sort of' prequel was exactly because of the expectations of fan boys wanting aliens all over the place. Not all prequels have to take the 'Darth Vader built C3PO route.

Prometheus 2 is said to venture even further away from Engineers and Aliens, if this is true then why even bother to introduce them in the first film (if not for a cheap marketing gimmick) if they're not even going to make an appearance in any of the sequels?  Hell, I could make a Star Wars film featuring Barbie, her magical unicorn, and only a picture of Luke Skywalker in it, but that doesn't make it a film worthy of being in the same universe.

RakaiThwei

Machinima offers their insight on the Alien 5 movie... Which.. these two Dudebros seem to not really be in the loop of things if they were caught up as we are regarding Blomkamps statements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX-gGI_DQlQ#ws

Russ

I've not read all the posts since I last logged on, so forgive me if this old news.

Sigourney Weaver is on Kermode and Mayo's film show on Radio 5 Live today (1400 hrs GMT). They played a clip of the interview where Mayo references the reaction to her talking about the movie on a US chat show (the one where everyone cheered). He asked her if it was a "done deal" and she said "no, it's still a dream at this stage."

Not sure when the interview was done and the whole thing isn't out yet (to be fair, I'm getting my daughter ready for school, so not checked) - but that throws a spanner in any "officially on the project" stuff if its recent.

I'll try and listen in and report back.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks. I'll try and flip onto it too.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:38:02 AMWell, if people are going to complain about retconning titles then they should have done it earlier when Prometheus supposedly retconned the AVP films.

The retcon in Prometheus was a lot less obvious and definitive though - most casual viewers probably didn't even notice Weyland Industries was now Weyland Corp.

What people are suggesting the new film will do is much more categorically overwrite the older films.

Son Of Kane

It's simple, because of Blomkamp's new film we simply get separate timelines.

Alien, Aliens, Alien3, A:R.

Or

Prometheus, Prometheus Sequel(s) Alien, Aliens, Neill Blompkamp's Alien Sequel(s)
(I personally separate Prometheus from the originals due to Alien V's apparent link to Prometheus 2.)

Or

Predator, Predator 2, AVP, AVP:R, Alien, Aliens.

Or
Predator, Predator 2, Predator 3 (Shane Black), Predators, Prometheus (& Sequels) Alien, Aliens, Neill Blompkamp's Alien (& Sequels)

That's how I personally divide them up.

I can't wait for Neill Blompkamp's Alien and I'm so glad the "Everything is canon." Argument is 100% dead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed