Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,766 times)

Perfect-Organism

Anyway with regards to Sigourney Weaver I'm just speaking from my observations.  None of us is inside her head.  I honestly believe that in all likelihood all the sci-fi roles she does is as a result of calculated marketing decisions on behalf of her agency.  They know that she is the sci-fi queen.  But do any of you really think that she sits around reading sci-fi books in her spare time?  Really?

DoomRulz

She doesn't have to in order to be a fan of sci-fi. I don't read sci-fi novels or comics but I enjoy the genre in film.

Valaquen

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:04:47 PM
She doesn't have to in order to be a fan of sci-fi. I don't read sci-fi novels or comics but I enjoy the genre in film.

Same here.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:04:47 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 04:46:37 PM
She wasn't typecast in Avatar or Chappie. She wasn't playing a saviour; the last hope.
Double this.

Perfect-Organism

We're kind of arguing the same point.  I am all for Sigourney doing Alien 5 as a retcon.  I'm just speculating on he machinations that got her to this point.  Clearly she was convinced in 92 that that was the way to go.  Now she has a different perspective.  Time has a way of doing that to people though.  Her inner motivations are really anybody's guess.

HuDaFuK

As I just said in another thread:

Personally, while I'm upset they're apparently retconning the later films (although I'm still waiting for the studio to actually confirm this), at the end of the day, if that's what's being done, I'm excited to be getting a new movie. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, even if I do think it was a lame move that just unnecessarily muddies the waters. It's not like my being angry and resentful will change anything. I just hope Blomkamp has some decent ideas for his film.

Of course, if the new movie sucks, then I'll be genuinely pissed.

Magegg

You know, no matter what people say, I think it's just infinitely cheaper to make a complete "reboot" with different main characters, and I wouldn't be interested on seeing that, AvP tried to do that and it fell flat, new directors simply don't understand how to create great characters, and for them the Alien series is nothing but a slasher film franchise.

I'd be much more interested on seeing Ripley back on tracks.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 07:12:26 PMnew directors simply don't understand how to create great characters, and for them the Alien series is nothing but a slasher film franchise.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. If they put the effort in they can absolutely make interesting new characters.

The problem with AVP was they didn't give a shit.

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 07:29:03 PM

I don't think that's remotely accurate. Say what you want about his abilities, but the guy is a genuine fan (and if you don't believe that, listen to the commentary of Event Horizon. Shit, watch Event Horizon and tell me it's not influenced by Aliens). Watch the special features on AvP and listen to the commentaries - that movie was more than a new conservatory for PwsA.

HuDaFuK

I was referring to the human characters. The characters in AVP weren't even remotely developed, and I never got the impression they particularly cared about making them interesting. They were just there.

Event Horizon is an infinitely better film.

Tough little S.O.B.

I don't know what they are going to do, but I really doubt that Neill is up to just dismiss Alien 3 and Alien: R.

As a director, a quite young and "new"director and one with quite a great taste and a lover of SCI FI, im pretty sure he respects both Fincher and Jeunet, regardless of his opinion on A3 and A:R.

So i'm confident he will find a way to do his thing without dismissing those two movies, but not necessarily referencing them or continuing on them. I have no idea how this can be done, and the ideas some people have about how doing it are mostly horrible...

We will see.

Rankles75

What would Fincher care? He couldn't disown that piece of garbage quickly enough...

Ulfer

Ulfer

Ah, the craze about this new Alien movie... We've had Prometheus : I thought people would have been vaccinated by now in what regards great, too great maybe, expectations... (What surprises me the most is the response to the concept arts before the announcement : I don't see anything transcendental there). Maybe Prometheus 2 will be better (I hope so).

But I'm not really enthusiastic about "Alien 5". I hope they will take the "good" road, and produce a very good movie, one to watch again with pleasure, a memorable one. Which means that there must be originality there. There must be flair. At least the experience of Prometheus - immense potential, but a mitigated result, in part because of "hollywoodian" reasons I guess - shows certain things to avoid. Between Prometheus and Interstellar, I choose Interstellar, easily, and I guess it's the kind of comment the studios could ponder about.

I hope that this next Alien movie will follow the steps of the first in what regards originality and awe. The collaboration with Giger and other talented artists made the first Alien magnificent visually and there was specifically a depth in Giger's work that nourished the imagination, the nightmare, the dread, etc. Prometheus 2 and this next Alien movie are the most adequate movies where we could find truly bizarre, awe and fear inducing elements of that kind. So I hope I won't be greatly disappointed in that area.

I don't know if the celebrated xeno has much cinematographic originality left to it. Variations on what we've already had, I can love it in a video game like Alien Isolation, which is excellent ; but it's not really what I expect in another movie, the fifth (in the AvP movies, they've used quite blankly the "Alien" recipe we all know - oh, eggs ; argh, chest-burster, etc. - and it's of course useless if there is nothing else on that point in the next Alien movie) or sixth in the Alien universe. So it will be a difficult aspect for the team working on the movie...

On the other hand, the cinematographic Alien universe remains extremely tiny. There are many ways of broadening the human aspect, show much more of the dystopian future society drafted in the movies, add depth to the quite simple elements of scenario and characterization of the Company, for example.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Russ on Feb 26, 2015, 07:35:26 PM

I don't think that's remotely accurate. Say what you want about his abilities, but the guy is a genuine fan (and if you don't believe that, listen to the commentary of Event Horizon. Shit, watch Event Horizon and tell me it's not influenced by Aliens). Watch the special features on AvP and listen to the commentaries - that movie was more than a new conservatory for PwsA.

P ws A is a nice guy, that loves cinema and the genre, and Even Horizon is a hell of a movie (not perfect at all, but damn entertaining), and the first Resident Evil is watchable, but the guy man, he really is untalented. And the way he is squeezing the RE franchise is beyond shame. Cinema would be much better if this guy decided to work in something else like I don't know, playing the banjo or sexing chickens.

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 07:42:10 PM
What would Fincher care? He couldn't disown that piece of garbage quickly enough...

Its not that Fincher cares (that I am sure he cares a lot, if not he won't have the need to disown it so strongly).

I don't know, I won't be comfortable in his position... Even If what I had to discard was AVP, AVPR or Prometheus! It would feel wrong.

But anyway, thats just my opinion, maybe he doesn't give a shit.

Magegg

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 07:12:26 PMnew directors simply don't understand how to create great characters, and for them the Alien series is nothing but a slasher film franchise.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. If they put the effort in they can absolutely make interesting new characters.

Anyways, bringing Weaving back on board could be an incentive for the studio to give a crap and craft the movie much more carefully.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed