Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,718 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2015, 09:51:23 PM
It's not true.

Which is why I said it's too soon and too good to be true.

Gash

Quote from: reecebomb on Feb 20, 2015, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 20, 2015, 04:24:14 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 20, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
I noticed that people were arguing about this movie's placement in the chronology for the past few pages.

We don't have much to speculate from, but I'd take the official Fox statement to be the clearest, and with it being the newest development, probably the closest to the truth.

A SEQUEL to the ALIEN FRANCHISE. Not to the Prometheus franchise. Not a prequel to the Alien franchise. All other "reports" are probably unsubstantiated. It's very early for all this information to be leaking.

And I guess this movie will be a Prometheus 2 sequel by proxy, but the Fox statement makes it sound like it's directly a sequel to the Alien franchise.

I don't understand why people are bothered by the prospect of Prometheus and Alien being even more interconnected. Maybe in some ways, yes, Prometheus shook the thematic ground of the series. But I still think they compliment each other. Even with whatever flaws Prometheus may have

One of the most mysterious and awesome thing of ALIEN was the derelict and the space jokey. Prometheus completely ruined it(for some of us) by turning one of the most fascinating creatures into a tall humanoid that is half the size it should be, that has created humans just to destroy them, ad that when it's raped by a giant octopus that is the son of a barren woman and a prick selfish drunk, gives birth to a laughable looking Alien. Oh, and he plays the flute too.

Besides that, no problem!

This. Kinda wish i could unsee the damn film. Prometheus made the Alien much less interesting and imo damaged the franchise far more than any of the AvP films or Alien Res. As stand alone feature Prometheus is quite a bit better than AvP1 and Requiem. I appreciate Prometheus as a nicely done Star Trek episode.

I thought Prometheus made the alien much more interesting. No longer was it saddled with the hive / queen dynamic; that was just one bug-ilke route the course of alien evolution could take. But now there are so many others. If Blomkamp insists on bringing back the queen it will be a retrograde step IMO.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Damn this movie is bringing in the people. Talk about a baby boom! :P

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 10:34:10 PMI thought Prometheus made the alien much more interesting. No longer was it saddled with the hive / queen dynamic; that was just one bug-ilke route the course of alien evolution could take. But now there are so many others. If Blomkamp insists on bringing back the queen it will be a retrograde step IMO.

Yea Prometheus is a step up but this is not a Prometheus movie, it's an alien movie. So having the queen would not bother me one bit. :)

However I wonder if it will be one alien or many. Basically it went 1, 154?, 1, and 15? Ok I suppose it was 2 in AlienĀ³ if you count the queen embryo or theatrical cut. :P

Magegg

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 10:34:10 PMI thought Prometheus made the alien much more interesting. No longer was it saddled with the hive / queen dynamic; that was just one bug-ilke route the course of alien evolution could take. But now there are so many others. If Blomkamp insists on bringing back the queen it will be a retrograde step IMO.
Prometheus is NOT PART of the Alien series. It's a related series, set in the same universe, but is not from the same series, it's a different story. They would not be "bringing back the queen", she never went away...

whiterabbit

I hear by nominate Ripley 08 as the new queen! Why? Cause every time someone gets chest busted a kitty gets its wings! Honestly though, why not, this is a horror movie and I would love to see an evil ellen ripley on screen and then she could also have a proper death scene. I'm talking full carnage people.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 20, 2015, 10:58:11 PM
I hear by nominate Ripley 08 as the new queen! Why? Cause every time someone gets chest busted a kitty gets its wings! Honestly though, why not, this is a horror movie and I would love to see an evil ellen ripley on screen and then she could also have a proper death scene. I'm talking full carnage people.

This sounds like something @dril would post

hfeldhaus

This isn't going to be a sequel to Alien. Weaver looks old as shit and story-wise is makes no sense. They're probably just looking for page clicks.

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 20, 2015, 10:52:49 PM
Prometheus is NOT PART of the Alien series. It's a related series, set in the same universe, but is not from the same series, it's a different story. They would not be "bringing back the queen", she never went away...

It is part of the ALIEN universe with very obvious connections. Weyland, juggernaut. alien life using hosts, Scott's aestehtic. It's more closely tied to A L I E N, or the Starbeast script, than any of A L I E N's sequels.

Queen = shite. One of Cameron's 'great' ideas.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 11:12:25 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 20, 2015, 10:52:49 PM

It is part of the ALIEN universe with very obvious connections. Weyland, juggernaut. alien life using hosts, Scott's aestehtic. It's more closely tied to A L I E N, or the Starbeast script, than any of A L I E N's sequels.

Queen = shite. One of Cameron's 'great' ideas.

Honestly things don't have to be so black and white, and it's not a bad idea, nor badly designed. Aliens is a very good film, idk why you need to trash it.

Gash

I saw it in 86, and thought it was a travesty of the ideas  A L I E N  presented. I have never grown to like it. It is an effective action film and if it wasn't related to  A L I E N  I would consider it a better than average 80's action flick of the Die Hard stable. But coming on the  tails of Rambo, it felt like a horribly toned down, muscled-up reinvention of A L I E N. I admire aspects of it's production, but it's style and presentation do nothing for me.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 11:21:51 PM
I saw it in 86, and thought it was a travesty of the ideas  A L I E N  presented. I have never grown to like it. It is an effective action film and if it wasn't related to  A L I E N  I would consider it a better than average 80's action flick of the Die Hard staple. But coming on the  tails of Rambo, it felt like a horribly toned down, muscled up reinvention of A L I E N. I admire aspects of it's production, but it's style and presentation do nothing for me.

Intense amounts of action stretched out with themes of repetition isn't exactly something uniquely Aliens or negative. It just explored the execution of the climax of Alien farther, while expanding upon the film setting. Considering the 80's, it could have been much worse, and the creative team behind Alien agree.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 11:21:51 PMI saw it in 86, and thought it was a travesty of the ideas  A L I E N  presented.

I don't really see how this is in any way true. It's just a logical extension of those ideas.

whiterabbit

Something was laying those eggs... what else would have made any better sense?

RakaiThwei

I find it quite surprising that there are people who actually hate ALIENS. That was my first Alien movie and I have fond memories watching it every time my Dad would pick me up from kindergarten and took me to Toys R' Us where I'd get an Alien toy.. I mean I thought ALIENS was a solid movie, a classic for sure and.. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would hate it.

Don't get me wrong, I respect if a person doesn't like it. More power to them but it just... strikes me as odd.

Gash

I 've seen plenty of interviews with the creative team on A L I E N, who simply, diplomatically, state that it's not their sort of film.

It's just not my sort of film either.

If Blomkamp can do something interesting, then I'm open to seeing what that is, but if it's a story that relies on bringing back characters in order to rehash, or get different closure, on Aliens, then it simply won't interest me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed