Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,822 times)

SiL

We won't. Blomkamp's a good director.

Just his ideas are the worst type of Aliens fanboy terrible if his art's anything to go by.

Vrastal

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2015, 06:42:14 AM

Just his ideas are the worst type of Aliens fanboy terrible if his art's anything to go by.

I hate a majority of fanfiction, and aliens fancfiction is no different, all of this retconing just reminds me of bad fanfiction

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 19, 2015, 06:44:50 AM
I hate a majority of fanfiction, and aliens fancfiction is no different, all of this retconing just reminds me of bad fanfiction

I just feel like the franchises have gone through enough retconning as it is. So I am hoping this new Alien movie is not a retcon. Either a continuation or a stand-alone. I would like a stand alone though.

Scree

Very glad Blomkamp got the project, after all. Pretty much expected this. That's why he put those concept-illustrations on his Instagram. To get movie fans excited and get the attention of FOX. Well done, Neill! :)

Vrastal

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 06:46:21 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 19, 2015, 06:44:50 AM

I just feel like the franchises have gone through enough retconning as it is. So I am hoping this new Alien movie is not a retcon. Either a continuation or a stand-alone. I would like a stand alone though.

If its not stand alone i dont see it having a good story

Gash

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2015, 06:42:14 AM

Agreed. The art, if anything, is what's putting me off. What it implies doesn't look like a great direction to go in.

whiterabbit

My two cents is that the concept art released, was bad. However it has got to start somewhere. I also just don't see it working anywhere else than after A|R if Ripley's going to be in it canon wise.

BonesawT101

Congratulations to Neil on landing the director's job of a life time for such a big Alien fan. Neil is a talented director, there is no doubt about that. The 'concept' art worked because it got a majority interested and excited for a potential alien film. While the inclusion of Ripley and Hicks certainly excites me, I am not so sure that it would work, particularly Hicks. I can see ways in which Ripley could be involved that makes sense definitely and to be honest I think the idea that the great Sigourney Weaver could be involved is what has excited the majority of film goers.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 03:46:37 AM
Lets retire the A:R look of the Aliens. It worked for that film but has since been reused over and over again for budget purposes in the AvP films.  Bring back the old school bio-mechanical look.  Blomkamp has stated he loved Alien: Isolation, Well look at this beauty:

Lets hope he honors H.R. Giger.

Definitely! The constant reuse of the AR suits was all a cost saving exercise. I think the film needs to return to the original approach and let us see things we never got to see in Alien - in particular, I want to see it show off like it does in Isolation.

I'd like to see it explore Ripley 8. I genuinely think her character was the best thing about Resurrection. Her mix with the Aliens allows for something for Weaver to dig into and for the writer to explore. It gives it the potential to actually move forward and not simply repeat the formula of the previous films. I just want it to close off the Ripley story so the franchise can move forward.

HuDaFuK

Colour me no more than curious at this point.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 08:28:34 AMI'd like to see it explore Ripley 8. I genuinely think her character was the best thing about Resurrection. Her mix with the Aliens allows for something for Weaver to dig into and for the writer to explore. It gives it the potential to actually move forward and not simply repeat the formula of the previous films. I just want it to close off the Ripley story so the franchise can move forward.

I've said so before, but I agree with you on this. If they insist on using Ripley, I want them to go down this route.

MrSpaceJockey

My immediate reaction to this news was a "no thanks."

I love Blomkamp's visual style, and I've said before that if anyone were to reboot/remake the series, he'd pull it off aesthetically.

However, I already have 3 (maybe even 4) ALIEN films I very much love and cherish.  Pretty reluctant to accept any new sequels, especially after my immense disappointment with Prometheus.  I don't like the notion of resurrecting Hick's either.  ALIEN 3's opening may have been the worst way the character could have been thrown away, but it's been over 20 years.  Let's not go with this fanboyish story route.

Since this project will happen, however, I'm just going to hope for the best.  If we're disregarding ALIEN 3 and Resurrection's canon, please do it in a classy way. 

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 01:07:20 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 01:03:57 AM
So it's going to be the Alien prequel then? Like.. THE Alien prequel which Prometheus was SUPPOSED to be?

I don't think it necessarily means directly after Prometheus 2. It's a given that the film takes place after the prequels.

Pleased to hear this isn't interfering with Prometheus 2.

In terms of taking lore from Prometheus into account...it'd probably just be the Engineers which we can't change. It's happened. That's what the Jockey's are now.
After reading this announcement earlier this evening, when I had just walked into work, I could not concentrate for like two hours. This is legit very very exciting. The best announcement Ive heard since Scott stated working on Prometheus. I can't imagine someone better suited for Alien 5, Blomkamp has the right balance of serious sci-fi and action this needs. He knows how to escalate the action and the drama. I am also  guessing this will allow Prometheus 2 the freedom to go other, stranger places, as it needs. What's even better is Scott's involvement as Producer for both films guarantees the A-class production values that elevated the best Alien films from its contemporaries.
This is already the best Sci-Fi film franchise of all time.

szkoki

szkoki

Cool, lets use Ripley 8 and be the plot like this: she has visions, telepatic calls etc from the mother queen in her dreams so they(good guys&bad guys)  use those to find the Alien homeworld.

So give that big middle finger to Prometheus theory about xenos.

Now really, dont get me wrong, how will this play out. What will it about if not alien homeworld? Other than that its bullshit, on the flipside Prometheus stated already that xenos are bioweapons, and Shaw already going to the Homeworld...but the Engineer's.

wow make this movie a franchise like Prometheus and in the 3rd part for both movie will be the same with Shaw and Ripley with including time travel :3 xD

Alien³

Alien³

I'm curious about this announcement, but I hate the idea of retconning 3.

I wouldn't like to see Ripley or Hicks, or Ripley 8.

Should be a stand alone film with new characters.

Xenoscream

This is SUCH GOOD NEWS!

Can't quite believe we will get another pure Alien film.

And we all get to see it on the big screen, Alien on Imax... can't wait.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed