Would you welcome a third film?

Started by Mala'kak, May 10, 2020, 04:57:15 PM

Author
Would you welcome a third film? (Read 19,769 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 12, 2020, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 12, 2020, 11:55:16 AM
Alien vs Predator feels to me more like a gimmick than a concept with any real potential. I think the most fun it has ever been was the Alien skull in Predator 2, and even that only as a joke rather than something to take seriously.

I don't like the first AVP, outright hated the sequel, and I don't see any concept really reinvigorating my interest in the idea at all.

Except it wasn't done as a joke. It was done as a loving nod to the comic book. That first comic series is proof enough that it is not a gimmick.

The films they did make were not executed well. It's just that simple. Bad films. Not a bad concept.

I haven't read the comic, but I've read the AVP Prey novelization; I see the appeal for other people, but for me, personally, I just don't find the concept of pitting the two creatures together to be engaging at all. They're two totally different styles of movie, and nothing about them really screams compatible to me.

Master

Master

Perfect organism versus Ultimate alien hunter. This sounds about right to me.

Anyways, the Alien Queen is still available for sequel as far as I'm concerned.

proto leech

Complete reboot or nothing.

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 11, 2020, 05:44:46 PM
I personally want to have the whole thing stripped way back. One Alien. One Predator. A fight to the death. Harsh, and hot, environment Humans that are competent and space-savvy, but ultimately in over their heads.

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 12, 2020, 12:35:12 AM
I would also like it to be Just one alien vs one predator. Been watching the Tremors series lately, got me thinking why not have it set on a desert world with a small mining colony, a predator ship crashes, the colonists go to investigate, see evidence of a broken Cage and a bloody pilot seat but no bodies, implying the Alien escaped and the Predator got injured in the fight. Now the Predator is off hunting the Alien with colonists stuck in the middle. Most of it should take place at night, and the characters should be a mix of good and bad people like a real western. You'd have plenty of people for the Alien and Predator to kill and most of all, it should not delve into any kind of lore, I'm sick of these movies always trying to expand on these creatures, just go back to basics and shut the hell up about Predator culture and Alien life-cycles....and autism spine juice.

This is what they need to start with if Disney ever commits to AVP. God forgive me for writing this but go "back to the roots". No new dumb mega forms, no lore revelations just classic 1v1 hunter and beast with humans in the middle.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 12, 2020, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 12, 2020, 11:55:16 AM
Alien vs Predator feels to me more like a gimmick than a concept with any real potential. I think the most fun it has ever been was the Alien skull in Predator 2, and even that only as a joke rather than something to take seriously.

I don't like the first AVP, outright hated the sequel, and I don't see any concept really reinvigorating my interest in the idea at all.

Except it wasn't done as a joke. It was done as a loving nod to the comic book. That first comic series is proof enough that it is not a gimmick.

The films they did make were not executed well. It's just that simple. Bad films. Not a bad concept.

Absolutely. This is one of those occasions when the concept has potential and is totally worth exploring. The problem is that artists are sometimes not skilled enough to execute such an idea.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

No. I have seen enough Alien abuse.
Predator is too almighty. Alien should ally with humans in a third movie.  :laugh:

Master

Master

The way I see it, Aliens always ally with humans. Facehugger cements the alliance.

RidleyScott99

Only IF they have a bigger budget. And the Director is an Action Master like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: RidleyScott99 on May 20, 2020, 10:00:38 PM
Only IF they have a bigger budget. And the Director is an Action Master like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 21, 2020, 08:34:47 PM
Quote from: RidleyScott99 on May 20, 2020, 10:00:38 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ny9UInd.gif

Meh, it's not like the series deserves anyone better at this point. both Bay and Snyder could pull it off, as long as Snyder doesn't write it, he's not great when it comes to writing.

SuperiorIronman

AVP is a monster movie. Anybody walking into that theater or turning on that movie wants to see these two things go at it. It's kind of like a Godzilla movie where most simply don't care about the philosophy, they just want to see monster gore. I say don't even make it a horror movie. If a third was to even happen it should be about highlighting what audiences love about these creatures first. Show both in their element and then introduce them to each other.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I disagree on both points. They're both stylistically wrong, and the series still deserves to get a decent director. AVP isn't just action. It's suspense, and atmosphere. Bay and Snyder suck at both. They know style, and they know spectacle. They don't know nuance or subtlety. They wouldn't inject either creature with anything but Brutish violence.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 23, 2020, 05:36:04 AM
I disagree on both points. They're both stylistically wrong, and the series still deserves to get a decent director. AVP isn't just action. It's suspense, and atmosphere. Bay and Snyder suck at both. They know style, and they know spectacle. They don't know nuance or subtlety. They wouldn't inject either creature with anything but Brutish violence.

Suspense and atmosphere? Did you see 13 Hours? it's got plenty of both.

EJA

EJA

I'd totally be up for another Alien versus Predator.......assuming it ignored the Alien prequels.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on May 23, 2020, 12:23:43 AM
AVP is a monster movie.

A number of people told O'Bannon, Scott, and Giger that about Alien. It's just a stupid B-movie about a monster that comes out of some blokes chest. Why take it seriously?

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 23, 2020, 05:51:54 AM
Suspense and atmosphere? Did you see 13 Hours? it's got plenty of both.

Yeah and I didn't really feel any suspense or atmosphere. It was typical Michael Bay fair. Perhaps, a little more reserved given that he had veterans and a whole bunch of advisors breathing down his neck.

Quote from: EJA on May 23, 2020, 08:16:32 PM
I'd totally be up for another Alien versus Predator.......assuming it ignored the Alien prequels.

Agreed. Ignore everything but the original films, and even with them only using them as touchstones for stylistic and tonal choices. No naming characters "Dallas" or having someone yell "Get to the choppah!" or any variants on "One Ugly Mother f*cker" The only effective rehash of that line was Nikolai's Russian in Predators.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed