Why is Jesus White?

Started by B-Rad G, Sep 16, 2008, 11:54:13 PM

Author
Why is Jesus White? (Read 6,925 times)

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: SiL on Sep 17, 2008, 09:31:55 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Sep 17, 2008, 07:09:20 AM
You cannot even answer this question without a debate over whether Jesus existed at all.
Sure you can. Real or not, you can ask why he's depicted as Caucasian when, given all evidence (Again, real or not), he wouldn't be.

Whatever your belief, it's a valid question.

There's two versions to this:

Jesus being an actual real person - there is still doubt to whether he existed so trying to debate if he was white is besides the point. 

Jesus being the xtian son of god - no debate there, he could practically be anything.

So it's all just speculation, really.

SM

SM

Jesus f**king wept...

The question is "Why is he depicted as white?"

It's plainly obvious that we take it as read that he existed for the sake of discussion.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Well there's no real answer to that question.  The only answer is that's just the way he is portrayed.

It's like asking, why does Santa Claus have a beard?

SM

SM

QuoteWell there's no real answer to that question.

Of course there is.  As has been mentioned several times already.

QuoteThe only answer is that's just the way he is portrayed.

Which begs the question - why?  Which is the whole point of this thread.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Cultural reasons, obviously.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Yet every culture, or rather more importantly religion, portrays him as Caucasian.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Well, since Jesus was a Jew from Nazareth, he had to have been the same color as the Jews from Nazareth are today.  And as far as I know, Jews are considered Caucasian. 

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Jews are Semitic peoples, just like Arabs. Caucasian is White. They look White, but in terms of ethnicity they aren't.

XENOMORPH ALIENS

XENOMORPH ALIENS

i just dont believe in that stuff. i never believed in god or jesus and there's no physical evidence that supports that jesus was real and was on earth or that god created the earth and all the lifeforms on earth.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Are we talking language or race?  I'm confused.  If you say that Jews and Arabs are not Caucasian, are they black?

Undeadite

Undeadite

There are more than just black people and white people out there lol.

SM

SM

The only two 'races' are black and white then?

Quotei just dont believe in that stuff. i never believed in god or jesus and there's no physical evidence that supports that jesus was real and was on earth or that god created the earth and all the lifeforms on earth.

In this context - no one gives a f**k.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Quote from: SM on Sep 18, 2008, 01:44:22 AM
The only two 'races' are black and white then?

Of course not.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2008, 01:03:21 AM
Yet every culture, or rather more importantly religion, portrays him as Caucasian.

In some artwork, he may look caucausian, but that doesn't mean he is. 

There is no official canon as to what he looks like.  Bearded, robed guy maybe - but that description could fit many different kinds of people.

He's just a fictional creation, that has no real defined image besides a popular cultural depiction.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I can agree with that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed