Steam engine

Started by LeoTPred, Aug 22, 2009, 08:49:21 PM

Author
Steam engine (Read 6,162 times)

LeoTPred

LeoTPred

as they announced at the gamecon they said they are going to use steam for the games matchmaking what do u think about this?

rikiiy

rikiiy

steams all good, so long as they don't add in some anti-priacry sh*t. Look at GTA4 ::)

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: rikiiy on Aug 22, 2009, 09:45:19 PM
steams all good, so long as they don't add in some anti-priacry sh*t. Look at GTA4 ::)

They better add the best piracy blocking shit available.

Can't wait to laugh at people who cry over not being able to buy the game,downloading it then finding out they're crappy ass comps can't even run the game.

AJL

AJL

Anti-piracy software and hardware... ::) Useless, Pointless, Bad idear...

They NEVER work... Those people who hack and crack the games are
always far more clever at what they do... They ALWAYS find a way...

The only REAL effect those anti-piracy measures have is to make the
games unstable, unreliable and more power hungry... And at the end
even those with legit copies may endup installing cracks because they
tend to make the games far more user friedly...

RavagerDX

RavagerDX

I personally hate it when there are more programs involved with the game I want to play. For example: FEAR 2. I already had it installed for a while, I just want to play some singleplayer... And I have to wait because Steam installs a patch (whatever it was)! For godsake, leave my game alone! :P I'll download the patch when I feel like it.

EC jay

EC jay

yeah, I hate that aswell
it also happened to me that the game was stuck updating, so I couldn't play it

and like AJL said, anti piracy measures are useless, all they do is delay a working crack by a week at best
also, I seem to recall a little embarassing issue with gears of war that prevented people who actually bought the game from playing it due to some built in license thingy expiring
people who cracked the game were obviously unaffected  :-X

in most cases, people who pirate games actually have a more userfriendly experience, and untill that changes, piracy will only get worse

tigerija

tigerija

They removed LAN, and most last games uses online system to play, C and C 4 required online conection for singleplayer xD. Tho things like battlenet are unable to break, cheat yes, but crack no. At least didn seen it so far.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: EC jay on Aug 22, 2009, 11:09:58 PM
yeah, I hate that aswell
it also happened to me that the game was stuck updating, so I couldn't play it

and like AJL said, anti piracy measures are useless, all they do is delay a working crack by a week at best
also, I seem to recall a little embarassing issue with gears of war that prevented people who actually bought the game from playing it due to some built in license thingy expiring
people who cracked the game were obviously unaffected  :-X

in most cases, people who pirate games actually have a more userfriendly experience, and untill that changes, piracy will only get worse

Why must you reveal reality! D:

Private W Hudson

Private W Hudson

Games on steam can sometimes lead to trouble :P

Sinister

Sinister

Using steam could be a good thing. It's easy to create a friends list and it provides for a good way of getting DLC and game patches in the form of updates - which you can pause/resume, etc.

Also, steam has a nice multiplayer browser interface where you can locate servers via lots of different criteria such as Country, latency, game mode, game map, etc

For those who don't like steam, well, it could be worse, they could've opted for Games for Windows Live or some kind of custom featureless multiplayer browser.

We'll see how it goes though.

Zephon

Zephon

It's a nightmare for people with dial up though.

Sinister

Sinister

I agree, it is for dial-up users - but really, broadband deals have come down in price and if someone is into lots of online gaming they should really have a broadband connection.

Zephon

Zephon

Very true, but for some it's not that easy, I know a few people who live in Canada in the more remote areas, apparantly it's hard to get broadband there.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Sinister on Aug 23, 2009, 05:55:58 AM
Using steam could be a good thing. It's easy to create a friends list and it provides for a good way of getting DLC and game patches in the form of updates - which you can pause/resume, etc.

Also, steam has a nice multiplayer browser interface where you can locate servers via lots of different criteria such as Country, latency, game mode, game map, etc

For those who don't like steam, well, it could be worse, they could've opted for Games for Windows Live or some kind of custom featureless multiplayer browser.

We'll see how it goes though.

Who says they haven't.

DoW2.

[Alpha]Frost

[Alpha]Frost

You can't use Steam with dial up. Well, you MIGHT be able to pull it off with a good ISDN connection, but 56k? Forget it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed