Was Paradise supposed to be the Engineers' homeworld?

Started by Local Trouble, Aug 09, 2017, 02:42:23 PM

Author
Was Paradise supposed to be the Engineers' homeworld? (Read 9,748 times)

Gruyères

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 09, 2017, 08:45:09 PM
Quote from: Gruyères on Aug 09, 2017, 08:07:13 PM
Maybe it is, for the pale, greek-tailored engineers we saw in Prometheus. Don't try to make sense with the original space jockey biomechanoid origin, because it doesn't. Not one bit!

Well, it was the planet of the Engineers featured in Prometheus.
The jockey from the original Alien could be something else we still have to see.

I hope it turns like that and we see, as one of the floating theories debates, the real enormous space jockey world which the engineers are devoted to.

asil

The tagline says "The path to paradise begins in hell...", may hint another paradise. Maybe that will be David's next plan to turn it into hell.

Emohemekat

Frankly, having Paradise be the Engineer homeworld makes complete sense to me. The homeworld is simply the place where they first came from, not necessarily their main center of population/technological development. In that case, it'd make even more sense that the buildings are ancient stone rather than mechanical/biomechanical, and that the civilian populace wore simple robes rather than biomech support suits. And we already know that the Engineers have other planets that they build on, so there's absolutely nothing to say there isn't a Gigeresque Engineer world somewhere out there in the galaxy. It's just that if there is, it won't be the world that the Engineers originated from.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 09, 2017, 08:45:09 PM
Quote from: Gruyères on Aug 09, 2017, 08:07:13 PM
Maybe it is, for the pale, greek-tailored engineers we saw in Prometheus. Don't try to make sense with the original space jockey biomechanoid origin, because it doesn't. Not one bit!

Well, it was the planet of the Engineers featured in Prometheus.
The jockey from the original Alien could be something else we still have to see.

I still cling to this forlorn hope too.  :'(

Quote from: Emohemekat on Aug 10, 2017, 06:45:58 AM
Frankly, having Paradise be the Engineer homeworld makes complete sense to me. The homeworld is simply the place where they first came from, not necessarily their main center of population/technological development. In that case, it'd make even more sense that the buildings are ancient stone rather than mechanical/biomechanical, and that the civilian populace wore simple robes rather than biomech support suits. And we already know that the Engineers have other planets that they build on, so there's absolutely nothing to say there isn't a Gigeresque Engineer world somewhere out there in the galaxy. It's just that if there is, it won't be the world that the Engineers originated from.

That's actually a very good point. Their homeworld maybe revered as something special and kept free of technology.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Since the Engineers are basically humans, I assume they advance like humans. Meaning, they industrialize their environment more and more as their technology progresses more and more.

Following this pattern, I'd assume that the Engineers' homeworld (especially their capital city) would look at the very least as technological as a modern-day Terran metropolis.

I also think it's more likely that Paradise was an idyllic colony world that became their sacred place because it was free of the technological trappings of their homeworld.

For anyone who's familiar with Warhammer 40,000, I'd say Paradise is a pleasure world while their homeworld is most likely a hive world.  Especially because we're talking about similar time scales here.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2017, 07:39:20 AM

What's that?   Do I sense a glimmer of disappointment with the direction Ridley's taken the lore?  ;)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

The low amount of technology would explain why they were unaware of the incoming ship.
And the locals were happy with the arrival because they thought it was a visit from their great leader.

Local Trouble

I wouldn't go so far as to say they lacked technology seeing as how they had a big docking station hovering right above their city.

The Alien Predator

There's always the chance that this particular city was their Vatican or Mecca and could've been located in an extremely isolated part of the planet.

Remember that planets are huge, and as big as our cities are, you can be somewhere on Earth with not a single city in sight. It's possible that there were other Engineer cities but we just didn't see them.

The Black Goo likely dispersed into the atmosphere and became an airborne virus that spread as far as it could, with infected animals and spores finishing off any Engineer survivors, Plague Inc style.

Also just because the Engineers are basically humans doesn't necessarily mean that they developed exactly as we did. For all we know, they could've taken their environment seriously and kept their populations balanced with their world as opposed to having 10 billion big bald dudes walking on its surface and leeching its resources rapidly. Maybe they didn't even build massive cities because they had no need to.

Who knows why they even went to space? Did they have their own America-Russia space race? Or was it driven by curiosity or religions reasons? Did they have environmental pressure to leave their world and colonise the stars as we humans do in the 22nd century? Or was it for the sake of discovery, exploration and species wide achievement?

We know they were a very ritualistic and religious people, like us, but their beliefs have steered their society in a different direction. We don't
Spoiler
sacrifice ourselves to birth Xenomorphic monsters for the sake of cleansing ourselves of our sins.
[close]

Local Trouble

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 10, 2017, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2017, 07:39:20 AM

What's that?   Do I sense a glimmer of disappointment with the direction Ridley's taken the lore?  ;)

Lol, I didn't think I'd hidden the fact I wasn't keen on this?  :laugh: I largely enjoyed the film over all but Prometheus and Covenant just aren't my preferred vision.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 10, 2017, 05:28:00 PM
Since the Engineers are basically humans, I assume they advance like humans. Meaning, they industrialize their environment more and more as their technology progresses more and more.

Following this pattern, I'd assume that the Engineers' homeworld (especially their capital city) would look at the very least as technological as a modern-day Terran metropolis.

I also think it's more likely that Paradise was an idyllic colony world that became their sacred place because it was free of the technological trappings of their homeworld.

For anyone who's familiar with Warhammer 40,000, I'd say Paradise is a pleasure world while their homeworld is most likely a hive world.  Especially because we're talking about similar time scales here.

That's an interesting parallel to 40k. You could be onto something with that.

irn

If what we see in Covenant is indeed the homeworld of the Engineers then it could be in a state of being reborn after a great disaster. A global war, disease outbreak,or astroid impact, for example, could have rendered this place uninhabitable and brought the Engineers to near-extinction and all we are seeing are the descendants of the survivors, hundreds of years later, in this isoloated little safehaven.

Then a robot built by extraterrestrials arrives in one of their own ships and drops a load of black goo on them...

Local Trouble

Wouldn't there be ruins?

irn

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 10, 2017, 09:07:54 PM
Wouldn't there be ruins?

We only see this one isolated area. There's nothing shown of the rest of the planet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed