Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 70,443 times)

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Lieutenant Mike Harrigan on Apr 27, 2017, 04:04:15 AM

Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on Apr 25, 2017, 10:01:13 PM
How can they determine what people think worldwide?
Predator 2, while pretty good... Predator without Arnold is wrong.
So, Predator 2 is a pretty good movie and has no Arnold... but at the same time Predator without Arnold ist shit... make up your mind dude.

Predator doesn't need Arnold, the movies aren't his story and have never been one connected arc anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

I agree that the cameo at the end would have been lame, so in my book, not having Arnold in the movie at all is the better way to go... i love Arnold, but people don't give a shit about his movies anymore, the last two went straight to DVD and that should teel you something... it's 2017.

Either it bombs or it makes money, Arnold wouldn't have changed anything about it.

Original Predator

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 27, 2017, 10:25:06 AM

So, Predator 2 is a pretty good movie and has no Arnold... but at the same time Predator without Arnold ist shit... make up your mind dude.

Predator doesn't need Arnold, the movies aren't his story and have never been one connected arc anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

I agree that the cameo at the end would have been lame, so in my book, not having Arnold in the movie at all is the better way to go... i love Arnold, but people don't give a shit about his movies anymore, the last two went straight to DVD and that should teel you something... it's 2017.

Either it bombs or it makes money, Arnold wouldn't have changed anything about it.

I think there are two schools of thought when it comes to the Predator in general.

Side A- Predator is the character, Predator is what the movie should be about, their world, their universe, they get the screen time etc...
Side B- The human characters are the lead(s).  The story, the mystery, the slow burn of revealing Predator etc... is what it's about.  Arnold and Danny Glover both I think were strong characters, that you rooted for, related too etc...

I've said in this forum before.  Now it's about rooting for the Predators, them being the main (lead) character etc...

I think Alien franchise did a good job of making it Ripley's story, vs. the Alien story.  I always think that's a better formula.  When you are making a monster/creature franchise, I'm in the group that prefers  humans being the central character vs. the creature.

Now the whole Dutch thing, 30 years later, we've obviously lost out on some good years worth of story...but, nevertheless it would help fill a void in the franchise.  my opinion.

Stealth_Hunter

I don't think the film needs to treat the Predator as the lead or give it more screen time than the original. That doesn't mean the franchise has to be about Dutch, though.

Lieutenant Mike Harrigan

The first Predator is the best because of Arnold Schwarzenegger's terrific performance. 

Give Arnold a few scenes in this new Predator.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on Apr 29, 2017, 02:39:39 AM
I don't think the film needs to treat the Predator as the lead or give it more screen time than the original. That doesn't mean the franchise has to be about Dutch, though.

Oy, he's not saying that. But it should've been. Would've been wildly more successful. I don't want to root for a damn creature, I want to root for the humans.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Apr 29, 2017, 06:59:56 AMWould've been wildly more successful.

Once again you're totally ignoring the fact Arnie's last few starring roles have hardly set the box office on fire.

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Apr 29, 2017, 06:59:56 AM
Oy, he's not saying that. But it should've been. Would've been wildly more successful.
I'd agree if Arnold was at least 20 years younger and his last few movies weren't terrible or weak at the box office. But now just makes little sense for them to put all their eggs in the nostalgia basket by forcing the story to be centered on him.

QuoteI don't want to root for a damn creature, I want to root for the humans.
I agree with you there. Maybe we will like the new characters in The Predator.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 29, 2017, 08:10:47 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Apr 29, 2017, 06:59:56 AMWould've been wildly more successful.

Once again you're totally ignoring the fact Arnie's last few starring roles have hardly set the box office on fire.

Obviously I mean around the time Predator 2 actually came out. Obviously I don't mean a hypothetical Arnie Predator 2 or 3 being released in 2016 or 2017. Which would probably still do well because it's a franchise like Terminator.

Original Predator

All I'm saying is that Arnold turned down Pred 2 to do Total Recall.  This was a "Dutch" story to begin with.  Not a Predator story...Not what it's morphed into today. 

People to this day (as some posts on this board show) wanted a "Dutch" sequel or story line at least for another movie or two.  There is nothing "wrong" with that.  For as much as I wanted that too...I understand the reality of the situation now too much time has passed, the window is likely closed...to tell that story (unless you really wanted to dig deep and fill in the gaps, which Black and Fox don't seem to want to do...which is fine).  Which is the "struggle" for the fans that wanted the "Dutch story"...the reality is we still want it.  We love the Predator, the creature that he is...think he's awesome etc...the fans that want the Dutch-story, don't disregard the Predator...so the "struggle" is moving on...seeing this creature, this could have been story...this big missing peice in the franchise...never coming to be...and "us" having to jump on board with the direction this thing is now going. 

Keep in mind Alien had worn out the Ripley story...so those fans are allowed to say "okay let's do whatever now".  New Universe, new story, this that..."we're good on the Ripley stuff...we got that thing A-Z...we can move on and out..."

Dutch-Predator fans...never got to do that.  And it's left a sour taste in our mouth to this day.

And there is nothing "wrong" with that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

While I loved Dutch, I never really felt like his story needed to be followed up on.

BishopShouldGo

You can say the same thing about Ripley from Alien. Or any fictional character ever.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Point being, I always found the Predator to be the more interesting of the two characters.

BishopShouldGo

You can have both.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

But why would that be necessary?

In fact, I like that Predator became a series about the creature, not just another Arnie franchise.

BishopShouldGo

Because people like going on journeys with characters. Whether it's Ellen Ripley, Indiana Jones, Roland Deschain, the Fast and Furious gang, or Harry Potter, myself and others like investing in characters. According to you, Alien was about the character, Predator was about the creature. Look at where that got each franchise. Tell me which one was more successful.

Another Arnie franchise... yes because there are tons of those.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed