Did the Derelict Ship survive the blast?

Started by DerelictShip, Mar 17, 2017, 10:26:58 PM

Author
Did the Derelict Ship survive the blast? (Read 10,356 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 23, 2017, 10:14:47 AMThe novelization also tells us that WY was bought out by Wal-Mart, but apparently we can cherry-pick what is or isn't "canon" from the novelization. :P

How does SM usually decide which parts of the novelizations to cherry-pick?

SM

Generally it depends on whether it's supported or contradicted by the films.  When it comes to the Derelict, the novel supports the film.  The WYR is an extra element that further clarifies things.

Local Trouble

SM's discretion?

SM

One has to have standards.

Local Trouble

Go play A:CM.

SM

No, one has to have standards.

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2017, 08:32:14 PM
When it comes to the Derelict, the novel supports the film.

Is it said in the novel that the Derelict was destroyed?

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2017, 08:32:14 PM
Generally it depends on whether it's supported or contradicted by the films.  When it comes to the Derelict, the novel supports the film.  The WYR is an extra element that further clarifies things.
The director's cut of Resurrection literally has the Weyland Yutani bought out by Walmart line, and the theatrical cut certainly doesn't contradict the existence of the line, but somehow that doesn't make the cut while the bit about the Derelict does. :P

It's a moot point anyway - the WYR is a more recent source and intentionally doesn't support what the novelization says (per FOX's request), according to the author.

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2017, 08:48:33 PM
One has to have double standards.
Fixed that for you. ;D

Xenoscream

So by the time of Resurrection for whatever reason they couldn't get an Alien sample from it. This could be because it was destroyed at the end of Aliens, or at any point in the last c200 years. It could also be because there are no eggs left, they couldn't find it, some other group has total control over it etc.

Given what we saw in Prometheus with the ship ramming it directly and blowing up, it crashing down to surface I'd say it's pretty tough. I'm personally inclined to believe a spaceship could withstand extreme heat, and as such would have survived - although no doubt it would have been damaged to some extent.

I think the reason it wasn't directly addressed in Aliens was to leave it open for a sequel, in the end A3 didn't use it and then AR had to imply it was destroyed to lend credibility to it's plot.

With the new planet in Prometheus having loads of ships, and Paradise coming up the original derelict loses it's significance anyway - if they did a sequel in the timeline I'd expect they would get eggs from where else.

Local Trouble

Now that you mention it, it seems even stranger that no one apparently revisited LV-223 even if LV-426 was "non-viable."

SM

QuoteI think the reason it wasn't directly addressed in Aliens was to leave it open for a sequel, in the end A3 didn't use it and then AR had to imply it was destroyed to lend credibility to it's plot.

AR had to imply it was destroyed to make Ripley's sacrifice actually count for something.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The fact the A3 company guys went all the way to Fury to take the Queen instead of going the original site speaks by itself even without Alien: Resurrection

Stanley

Well in Alien Lambert state that the diameter of the LV-426 is just 1200 km.   Is that correct?  Earth is about 10 times greater in diameter and has a horizon about 11 miles away, level ground or ocean.   So...on LV-426 the horizon would be around a mile away.   Hence the Derelict should have easily survived as it is likely more than 1 mile away from the atmosphere processing machine.   

No?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Stanley on Mar 25, 2017, 12:23:24 AM
Well in Alien Lambert state that the diameter of the LV-426 is just 1200 km.   Is that correct?

Well, guys?

x-M-x

Quote from: Stanley on Mar 25, 2017, 12:23:24 AM
should have easily survived as it is likely more than 1 mile away from the atmosphere processing machine.   

No?

Yea, because when they *Built* the centre, there was nothing and i mean nothing about that ship being found or recorded.

50+ years later when ripley mentioned it (they was all confused shocked) but we know Burke sent someone to investigate.

so when that *nuke* whatever you call it went off? i'm sure the ship survived.

Right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed