So what really happened with Prometheus?

Started by nanison, Dec 03, 2016, 01:40:55 AM

Author
So what really happened with Prometheus? (Read 8,980 times)

Corporal Hicks

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/engineering-prometheus/

I wrote this earlier this year covering the change over from Alien to Prometheus.

Does someone have any sources for the Tom Rothman involvement? I'd like to elaborate that a little further.

klesk4ever

Quote from: SiL on Dec 05, 2016, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: klesk4ever on Dec 05, 2016, 03:37:09 AM
But the black goo also creates.
The goo itself is only ever shown destroying. Shaw and Charlie create, the best the goo does is corrupt. The corruption goes on to create.

Well that's a great description. Nuclear weapons simply destroy and create wastelands.
Black goo corrupts.
And we had saw on screen how that corruption also can create something.

In the scene just before waking up the engineer David informs that engineer ship filled with vials had course set to earth 2000 years ago, just before the outbreak killed all engineers except the one in stasis.
Shawn asks David why were they heading for Earth, and David mysteriously proclaims "in order to create sometimes one must destroy".

Maybe David was just poetic, but they had certainly left space with multiple possibilities.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 05, 2016, 12:30:46 PM
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/engineering-prometheus/

I wrote this earlier this year covering the change over from Alien to Prometheus.

Does someone have any sources for the Tom Rothman involvement? I'd like to elaborate that a little further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7QTB2meTE&t=0m52s

Corporal Hicks

Thanks Bish. I'll make some amendments to that article.

Ingwar

I still wonder why studio hired Jon Spaiths and Damon Lindelof. Spaiths wrote script to ... The Darkest Hour which is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Then we got Damon responsible for Nash Bridges, Lost and co-writer of Cowboys & Aliens. At 2012 those guys weren't good writers (and they're not good now either) so why for god's sake Fox offered them a job? I'm puzzled. I like/hate Prometheus and each time I see it I cry more and more.

BishopShouldGo

You never blame a writer for the final product. The script is at the mercy of directors, actors, executives, financiers, marketing, editors, costume designers, gaffers, sound design, color correction, music and, most of all: Reality.

The Darkest Hour was a rewrite job for Spaihts, and I believe it came post-Prometheus. Damon's movie's make money. He's very in demand, and has even had to turn down high profile jobs including a Marvel movie. Think it was an Iron Man movie. Well, both of those guys are in demand.

Blame Fox or Ridley if you didn't like the movie, don't blame the writers.

Corporal Hicks

Spaihts' involvement came from Scott Free liking some of his sci-fi - Passengers (now being made) and Shadow 19. I think they ended up on one of the "blacklists" as well? So they were pretty well liked.

SiL

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 08, 2016, 02:55:32 AM
gaffers,
Those people helping set up rigging really f**ked up AvPR!

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SiL on Dec 08, 2016, 09:16:36 AM
gaffers,
Those people helping set up rigging really f**ked up AvPR!

You understand the point.

klesk4ever

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 07, 2016, 11:49:28 PM
I still wonder why studio hired Jon Spaiths and Damon Lindelof. Spaiths wrote script to ... The Darkest Hour which is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Then we got Damon responsible for Nash Bridges, Lost and co-writer of Cowboys & Aliens. At 2012 those guys weren't good writers (and they're not good now either) so why for god's sake Fox offered them a job? I'm puzzled. I like/hate Prometheus and each time I see it I cry more and more.

I had read the Spaiths "final" script, and it was well written... but still plain "Alien" script. Kinda like Aliens, it didn't really had any unexpected twists.
Scott wanted to bring this script on to another level (I would to) so he brought Lindelof on board to make changes.
I think that Lindelof was a wrong choice. He was popular at time for being a writer of Lost series.

Lost was popular because it was mysterious as f*** however at the end fans were disappointed because a lot of questions made during the series were unanswered in the finales.

It would appear that Lindelof simply made scripts with bunch of holes, and failed to wrap up everything in the finales.
Fans were excited about a lot of questions, and ended up disappointed because the answer to lot of the questions is bad writing.

Reading the Spaiths script, I can see that a lot of "holes" in Prometheus are the result of a bad re-write of the original script.

I think that Damon Lindelof was a crappy choice, and I hope he will not work on any other sequel.

Ingwar

You never blame a writer for the final product. The script is at the mercy of directors, actors, executives, financiers, marketing, editors, costume designers, gaffers, sound design, color correction, music and, most of all: Reality.

I don't blame writers for everything but good script is a movie foundation. You cannot have a good movie without good script. Writers are responsible for: the plot (story itself), story pace, characters development and dialogues. Those three or four elements, especially dialogues, are poorly written regarding Prometheus. This movie is better because of director, editing, costume designing, sound, music and so on.

I'm bookoholic. I read like 20 books a year. Not a lot but I do my best. Once I start watching a movie I can tell you if its gonna be good or not. Key to success is dialogue and performance of course (that depends on director, actors, camera man and editing). You can feel when writing is bad. Script is essential when it comes to quality of a film.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 08, 2016, 09:36:11 PM

I don't blame writers for everything but good script is a movie foundation. You cannot have a good movie without good script. Writers are responsible for: the plot (story itself), story pace, characters development and dialogues. Those three or four elements, especially dialogues, are poorly written regarding Prometheus. This movie is better because of director, editing, costume designing, sound, music and so on.

I'm bookoholic. I read like 20 books a year. Not a lot but I do my best. Once I start watching a movie I can tell you if its gonna be good or not. Key to success is dialogue and performance of course (that depends on director, actors, camera man and editing). You can feel when writing is bad. Script is essential when it comes to quality of a film.

Don't blame the writer.

SM

Resurrection suffered in terms of budget cuts meaning things had to be ditched (amongst other things) but many of the issues were down to Whedon.  And when you look at some of the appalling dialogue that got dropped - it could've been worse.  Due to the writer.

BishopShouldGo

It's a group effort.

But if the movie is bad but the script was great, don't blame the writer. Writers are of course fallible though.

Ingwar

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 09, 2016, 12:34:17 AM
It's a group effort.

But if the movie is bad but the script was great, don't blame the writer. Writers are of course fallible though.

If movie is bad with a good script then it's not writer(s) fault. But if the script is bad ...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed