A Song of Ice and Fire

Started by Shasvre, Feb 02, 2014, 05:06:18 PM

Author
A Song of Ice and Fire (Read 32,911 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

A Song of Ice and Fire

A Game of Thrones (1996)
A Clash of Kings (1998)
A Storm of Swords (2000)
A Feast for Crows (2005)
A Dance with Dragons (2011)
The Winds of Winter (TBA)
A Dream of Spring (TBA)

--------------
--------------

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (2015)
Fire & Blood (2018)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Currently a little over 600 pages into A Dance With Dragons (I would be moving along faster, but class has been getting in the way a lot lately) and I seriously think that, so far, it may have actually passed A Storm of Swords as my favorite volume in the series. Jon and Bran's stories have been especially intriguing this time around. I loved the excellent balance between the political intrigue and the more mystical elements as they begin to creep their way into the world of Westeros in the first four volumes, and A Dance With Dragons has really been going all out with that idea in some really fantastic ways!

Given how many characters there are in the series I find it a bit hard to really narrow it down to a favorite, but near the top of my list are Davos Seaworth, Jon Snow, Arya Stark, Bran Stark, Tyrion Lannister, and Daenerys Targaryan. Jon, Daenerys, and Tyrion are kind of obvious fan-favorites, and I find Arya to be an oddly relatable character in some ways. She's pretty badass, too. Bran has become more and more interesting as his journey continues with each passing book. Davos is probably the most surprising to me, though. With his introduction in A Clash of Kings I started off finding his chapters to be a bit of a chore to read (probably because he only had a few chapters, and they seemed significantly longer than everyone else's), but as his story continued I began to love the way that he and his story developed. For non-POV characters, I'm also a big fan of Stannis Baratheon, Melisandre of Asshai, Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane, and Coldhands (with what little we know of him), among many others. Oh, and Hodor! How could anyone not love Hodor?

Xenodog

Xenodog

Great idea Shas!

Logged onto Galaxy now, just after finishing Storm of Swords pt. 2. Undoubtedly my favourite yet. The fastest pace, heart-rending tragedy, bone-crunching combat and treason of the highest order. This is shaping up to be my favourite book series, it has already snatched the position of favourite TV series.

I have voiced my thoughts on book vs. show in Latest Book you Read thread. I stand by it still; book does small events and subtleties better, show does big events and non-POV characters / scenes better. But I have a feeling S3 may shake me from it a bit. Solely for the scenes that take place on the Wall - you're gonna' need a big budget for that. Makes the Battle of Black Water bay look like a childish squabble I.M.O.
I dislike how a lot of Theon's scenes are less conflicted and sympathetic, and more arrogant and cold in the show. Also how Cersei is made less of a mad bitch and more of a shafted wife and mad mother, which I felt she didn't deserve.

Fave characters, mostly spoiler-lite.
Robb Stark - My favourite character. On the surface the archetype good guy, but with nuances that set him apart from being just another uber-skilled protagonist Jesus like Harry Potter. He's young and makes mistakes. He gets wounded in battle and isn't the most skilled swordman in his barracks let alone Westeros. He makes questionable decisions with love, loyalty and royalty. And pays the hardest price.
Shout out to Grey Wind too, who has a much larger role in the books and is even more badass the point where he practically won the Battle of Oxcross himself.
On the casting, yeah Richard Madden was too old. But I liked show-Robb and felt the character was done well enough that the five years could very easily be forgiven.

Tywin Lannister - On the surface the archetype bad guy, but with nuance that set him apart from being just another dull pseudo-Hitler like Voldemort. He cared / cares for some of his family, and even does for Tyrion to some extent. And he in the books that line 'Lord Tywin ruled the Seven Kingdoms, but Lady Joanna ruled Lord Tywin. The best part of him died with her.' instantly made him a much more sympathetic character. He also ended a very destructive war that was unquestionably unsustainable for the Seven Kingdoms, especially with Winter coming.
He gets even better in the show though. Charles Dance. Charles f**king Dance. To anyone who disagrees with that casting and his role in the show, I have but this to say to you :
"And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?..."

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane - He's blunt, he's brutal and he's unforgivingly intimidating. But also conflicted over his actions (as evidenced in his last scene with Arya in SoS) and his pryophobia was used excellently in the show. Show Hound is probably a bigger character and better than book Hound, but both are still excellent. I can only hope we get a final truth about his character before the show is out.

Melisandre of Asshai - I guess a lot may have to wait until her scenes on the Wall to warm up (pun not intended  :P ) to Mel, but even then she swiftly became one of my favourite characters from her intro. Powerful, beautiful, fanatical, I think she's often quite an overlooked character, and also a polarising one. She means the best, but sometimes must do the worst to get results. Or would if Davos didn't throw, or try to throw, spanners in her plans.  :laugh:
Her chapter in DoD (I skipped ahead to read the sole chapter) was excellent and also makes her a bit more of a sympathetic character, and an even more mysterious one. 'For the night is dark and full of terrors...'

Ser Davos Seaworth - Ah the Onion Knight. With his chapters in Dragonstone, they're almost humourous in hindsight the way it's almost a 'only sane man' dynamic. Loyal and likeable, he's the other side of the coin of Mel in that he too does what he thinks is best for Stannis and the realm but from a different, gentler standpoint that can often clash with Stannis and Mel's views. Looking forward to more of his story!

The Wolf

The Lion

The Hound

The Fire

The Onion

First Blood

First Blood

I read both A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. Thought they were both excellent and rich in character. Still a fan of Stannis in both show and novel. He may not be the most three dimensional character but I am fascinated by his thirst for power and his relationship with Melisandre.

The PredBen

The PredBen

I'm a big fan of the series. I got into the TV show first, then got into reading the books, which I think are amazing. I'm somebody who likes thorough descriptions of characters appearance and personality, and Martin does an excellent job at this. Initially upon reading the books I pictured the characters as their TV show actors. But as my reading progressed, aside from Jaime Lannister, Joffrey and Daenerys, I picture most of them noticeably different. I like how he talks about the different religions, political systems and cultures in his world. Regarding favorite characters, I can't really choose, because there are to many who I like equally.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Random aside, but I absolutely love when Martin goes on for half a page about food. Makes me hungry :D

Anyone read the Dunk and Egg novellas or The Princess and the Queen, by any chance?

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 02, 2014, 06:53:40 PM
Random aside, but I absolutely love when Martin goes on for half a page about food. Makes me hungry :D

Try reading an Ian Fleming novel. :laugh:

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

I've read all books (and Dunk&Egg) after i watched season 1-3. So it's hard to judge/compare the characters since i always imagine the TV actors instead of thinking of an own interpretation, though it works quite fine because i love most actors.

Whatever, i like the books and it's a pain in the *ss to wait for the release of the next one. On the other hand: I love the show and season 4 will arrive soon  - winter is coming :laugh:

My Top3: Tyrion, Tywin, Roose Bolton.

Eva

Eva

I finished A Storm Of Swords last year.

As for a favorite character in the books... I might go with Daenerys. There's just something alluring about a female character, breaking free from the shackles everybody else in Westeros would like to impose on her and take her own fate into her own hands.

That might turn out to be a double edged sword for her in the next or the unreleased books though...

Jon Snow in a somewhat similar fashion, seems to often find himself caught in a situation that requires him to take everything he thinks he knows up for revision. I get the feeling of Martin building these 2 characters up for something big in the last books.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Eva on Feb 02, 2014, 09:19:57 PM
I get the feeling of Martin building these 2 characters up for something big in the last books.

Aye, I can definitely see that. Especially if the fan-theories on Jon's true parentage wind up being true.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Nightmare, have you reached the part with... Drogon (I don't want to say more than that in case you haven't) in A Dance with Dragons yet? ;D

Quote from: Eva on Feb 02, 2014, 09:19:57 PMI get the feeling of Martin building these 2 characters up for something big in the last books.

Spoiler
I'm pretty sure Daenerys is the chosen one Melisandre keeps going on and on about.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

No, I haven't. You're gettin' me real excited, though!

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I really need to finish this book.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 02, 2014, 09:22:30 PM
Spoiler
I'm pretty sure Daenerys is the chosen one Melisandre keeps going on and on about.
[close]
Wrong

Spoiler

This thread makes me wanna get started on the next one...
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Dooo eet.

Just be ready for half your favorite characters to not be in the book :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed