Attn forumers: You speak only for yourself. Blanket statements are for assholes.

Started by Bishop2, Sep 01, 2007, 04:05:28 AM

Author
Attn forumers: You speak only for yourself. Blanket statements are for assholes. (Read 10,510 times)

Bishop2

Bishop2

Boy, am I ever tired of seeing statements like the following:

- "Predator fans despise the Yautja."

- "Everyone knows Alien is the best film in the series."

- "Only an idiot could enjoy Alien Resurrection." 

- "It's obvious to true fans that Predators are superior to Aliens."

These are just a few simple examples.  In the interest of making a better forum with fewer jackholes in it, I invite everyone to always remember:

- You do not speak for anyone but yourself.

- You do not speak for "true fans" or "people who really care."  Everybody here is a true fan, or else they wouldn't be here.  Everyone cares, or else they wouldn't be here.

- As soon as you're starting to say "We all know" or "everyone knows that this movie/creature/idea rocked/sucked," stop yourself.  Who is WE?  You don't know EVERYONE, do you?  Stop.  Don't disagree, because I promise you absolutely do not.  There is only YOU.  "We all" don't know anything of the kind.  Not everyone believes that Predator 2/AVP/Alien Resurrection were pieces of shit.  Not everyone hates the directors responsible.  Not everyone thinks that the Strauses are automatically superior to, say, Stephen Hopkins just because they're not Stephen Hopkins.  We haven't seen their movie yet.  We don't know how their movie will be.  We can only hope.

- If you start to mockingly say that you know what the "vast majority" thinks, consider this: You can't.  You can't know what the wider public thinks.  You can know what this board thinks.  That's it.  You MIGHT know what many Internet sites think.  Maybe.  If you're really visiting that many.  You DO NOT know what humanity as a whole thinks about anything.  The Internet is not a valid random sample of the majority.  Case in point: Star Wars Episode I.  That movie made so much money that people obviously went back to see it again and again and again and again, or else it's just impossible.  It also got a standing freaking ovation at my midnight premiere.  And yet most of the Internet hates it.  Does that mean most of the WORLD hates it?  Based on the repeat business and the huge DVD sales... well, apparently not.

Remember these simple instructions, and you'll be a friendlier board member and much less of a dick to people around you.  Don't condescend, and remember: Your opinions are YOUR opinions. 

Now go have fun discussing the things that WE ALL love.  And don't turn into a bastard if someone disagrees.

Uncanny Antman

That's just like...your opinion, man.

Spaghetti

you f**k's him up's and take's the money?

or no?

gameoverman

If someone says AVP is better than Alien, they are denying reality.

In a world of chaos and nihilism - anything goes.

In a world of order - objectivity (logic and reason) exists.

The way you interpret the world is up to you, but don't ask us to deny reality.  :P

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Spaghetti on Sep 01, 2007, 04:21:21 AM
you f**k's him up's and take's the money?

or no?

Oh, yes.   It's what happens when you f**k a stranger in the ass.

Bishop2

Quote from: gameoverman on Sep 01, 2007, 04:22:35 AM
If someone says AVP is better than Alien, they are denying reality.

In a world of chaos and nihilism - anything goes.

In a world of order - objectivity (logic and reason) exists.

The way you interpret the world is up to you, but don't ask us to deny reality.  :P

Opinions are not "reality."  I haven't seen what you're saying myself, but I HAVE seen someone say that Alien 3 and Aliens are both better than Alien, and that same person call Alien "boring."  Now, I don't get that.  But his opinion is equally valid as mine or yours.

Bishop2

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 01, 2007, 04:08:23 AM
That's just like...your opinion, man.

I need a "rim shot" smiley for times like this.

Dachande

So what was the point of this? Just seems to me as if your trying to tell everybody how to act and behave. Telling people what they can and what the can't say, and IMO the VAST MAJORITY Probably dont care

Mike’s Monsters

I agree with most of what you have to say Bishop2... But sadly... Most of the members here aren't going to care, or even read this... That is the internetz for ya.

SPEC. AGENT KEYES

Quote from: Mikey on Sep 01, 2007, 07:02:16 AM
I agree with most of what you have to say Bishop2... But sadly... Most of the members here aren't going to care, or even read this... That is the internetz for ya.
I read it but I'm just not going to reply cause I am speechless............

Bishop2

Quote from: Dachande on Sep 01, 2007, 06:05:14 AM
So what was the point of this? Just seems to me as if your trying to tell everybody how to act and behave.

Only if they don't want to be assholes.

Yup, basically I was giving friendly tips on how to make this place LESS filled with flame wars and spewing bile.  Trying to get rid of hatred and derision.  In short, trying to make this place more enjoyable.

Corporal Hicks

...Me thinks me shall lock such a pointless thread.

Bishop2

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 01, 2007, 07:19:14 AM
...Me thinks me shall lock such a pointless thread.

A pointless thread about the board and how people around here seem to have a habit of being vicious to one another?  That's "pointless" to bring up? 

Corporal Hicks

No, this is a thread about your opinion about other peoples opinion. A contradiction unto itself. People will always have different opinions and you just happen to be in the minority here.

Dekapitator

Remember people, swearing will help you get your message across.(!)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed