Why do people idolize Wolf so much?

Started by The Runner, Jul 04, 2012, 10:20:30 PM

Author
Why do people idolize Wolf so much? (Read 51,597 times)

HuDaFuK

I'm not saying it isn't dumb, I just don't think it's unjustifiably dumb.

Moreover, the old AVP books explain at some lengths that young Predators are often supremely over-confident, so it fits perfectly with that.

The Cruentus

I do agree friend, but this situation just seems....moreso. The net was visible melting, and he was right there...and proceeded to unsheathe his dagger very, very slowly. If he had done everything in that scene at a different speed, I would not have much issue with it.

OpenMaw

There's literally nothing wrong or outlandish with the scene at all.

To reiterate.

A. Both of our title characters form Predator and Predator 2 fell victim to this exact same failing in their character.
B. Celtic was beating Grid's ass.
C. He's a cocky Juvenile.
D. After that kind of an ass beating, who wouldn't savor the moment?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I wouldn't, especially after noticing the acid melting the net.... :P

Previous predators were dealing with Humans, so its more understandable but no less stupid of course.

Anyway I believe this is going round in circles since I still think Celtic is still the stupider one and you lot are making points to defend him, good points but still not enough to counter the level stupidity displayed by Celtic in my opinion. So agree to disagree on this then.

JokersWarPig

Defending the AVP preds (or anything about the two movies) is a losing battle  :D

The best thing about any of them (imo) is their designs. I would have preferred their bodies not all basically be the same, I'd imagine there's differences in the predators physique just like there is with human beings.

StrangeShape

I dont think Predators should be these indestructible John McClain's of the universe. I like that in AVP yes, they are shown as strong and able to go toe to toe with an alien, but eventually end up like marines in Aliens - decimated and fighting for survival. I guess it depends who you favor more, alien or predator

The Cruentus

I prefer the Xenomorphs but I think Predators should be better prepared when dealing with them, of course that isn't a guarantee of survival nor should it be.

StrangeShape

the marines in Aliens were also heavy equipped with high tech armory and technology, and they found themselves fighting for survival. Same happened with AVP, only in AVP predators only had hand weapons but also had great strength and armor. So same principle, and I liked that

I actually dont even like the fact that Celtic was doing so well with the alien

JokersWarPig

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 11, 2017, 09:38:04 PM
the marines in Aliens were also heavy equipped with high tech armory and technology, and they found themselves fighting for survival. Same happened with AVP, only in AVP predators only had hand weapons but also had great strength and armor. So same principle, and I liked that

I actually dont even like the fact that Celtic was doing so well with the alien

The marines didn't have their pulse rifles, the predators didn't have their plasma casters...
Makes you wonder if the aliens are really all that fearsome in stand up fights or if they just are when plot calls for it  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 11, 2017, 09:38:04 PMthe marines in Aliens were also heavy equipped with high tech armory and technology, and they found themselves fighting for survival.

I guess the key difference there is the Predators knew what they were getting into, the Marines didn't.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 11, 2017, 01:41:39 AM
I guess it depends who you favor more, alien or predator
the ultimate answer

happypred

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 09, 2017, 12:57:07 PM
A. Both of our title characters form Predator and Predator 2 fell victim to this exact same failing in their character.
B. Celtic was beating Grid's ass.
C. He's a cocky Juvenile.
D. After that kind of an ass beating, who wouldn't savor the moment?

Predators need to stop savouring and just f**king go for the kill

That's why Island Hunter in Predator: South China Sea is such a badass

P-Rock

P-Rock

Wolf looks cool, but he's an idiot. He's sent down as some sort of cleaner, but he constantly exposes himself and does other dumb things to attract attention from both human and alien.

Huntsman

Quote from: P-Rock on Aug 25, 2017, 11:23:19 AM
Wolf looks cool, but he's an idiot. He's sent down as some sort of cleaner, but he constantly exposes himself and does other dumb things to attract attention from both human and alien.
Yeah, I agree. For some reason I used to think he was a 'badass'. But he's not. Skinning people and hanging them up for no reason, for example, when he's meant to be a secretive cleaner is stupid.

GreybackElder

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jul 05, 2012, 06:31:08 AM
Quote from: The Runner on Jul 04, 2012, 10:20:30 PM
Why is that people don't understand that Wolf is only "elite" and "badass" is because the only 'enemies' he faced were incompetent Cletus-Morphs. Where did people get this from? COuldn't they see that Wolf was beating up mentally-challenged pseudo-aliens.

Some do and some simply don't want too. You have to understand the psychology of some predator fans. It all stems from their childhood; when they were kids they watched predator movies and as little boys; what do they like? Cool shit. And there is nothing cooler then the predator: he's got cool weapons, cool vision modes, cool dreads, able to turn invisible, his blood even glows. Everything about the predator just screams cool. In fact if you were to go around asking people what they would rather be: an alien or a predator, most would probably say predator. So what happens when you take a super cool creature like the predator and pit him against a creature that isn't 1/10th as cool as him? They scoff at the idea. "Bah! Aliens stand no chance, what can they do? Predators have all those gadgets and weapons, Predators Rule!" I've unfortunately had to hear shit like this ever since AVPR came out. The simple reality is that some predator fans don't want to give the aliens their due, they don't want to analyze both creatures and the situations they were put in, they just want the predator to dominate so he doesn't lose his "coolness." Remember when the first AVP came out? "Oh my god! One alien killed two predators? That's bullshit, these aren't REAL predators, a real predator can take out 100 aliens all by himself!" or "Those predators were inexperienced, if it were an elite predator, he would have killed that alien easily." They use that word "Experience" like it's their get out of jail card. If a predator loses it's because he's inexperienced and not because the alien was a great threat. This whole "elite/experience" Bullshit is nothing more than childish fan boys trying desperately to alleviate butt hurt. And that's what Wolf was: the ultimate remedy for butt hurt. Predator fan boys cried when their beloved predator's got "humiliated" in AVP so the strause brothers pulled Wolf out of their ass, called him an "Elite," and let him rape the aliens 6 ways till Sunday and the predator fan boys creamed over it and talked shit about the aliens ever since. Like children bragging that their favorite baseball team won, even though they are too stupid to see that their team cheated. You try to explain to them how the team cheated but they'll just cover their ears and go "LALALALALA!" and just say you're jealous because your team got beat so easily. You can't talk to them, it's pointless, if you try to point out the alien's strengths and abilities, they just pull the "Experience/Elite" Card like it automatically makes the predator a superhero. Like the predator is going to go super saiyan once he's reached elite status. By the way, since when did "Experience" become such a crucial pre request when dealing with aliens? The aliens have no weapons and no experience. Do you really need to be at the height of your hunting carrier to deal with something like that? I could kill a few aliens right now if I had a machine gun.  If I kill a bunch of aliens right now, do I get "Elite" status? Do I get the magical ability to do whatever I want to the aliens with no consequences? Can I go up to two aliens and grab them by their necks while they do nothing to me?  No? I guess I'm not cool enough, only predators get that power. This whole "Experience" thing is the worst thing to ever happen to the predator mythology, It's like saying anything the aliens do doesn't even matter, it's like saying if Gill was experienced he would have snatched Grid's tail without even looking and threw him to the ground like a rag doll and killed him in seconds. You know if the strause brothers directed that scene that's exactly how it would have played out and it's not just them either, it's pretty much 90% of the predator fan boys. Go to Youtube and search for AVP fan films and I guarantee you will find the majority of them have predators just slaughtering and humiliating the aliens. Watch the fan film AVP: Redemption; it's the perfect example of how much predator fans don't give a flying f**k about the aliens.

The saddest part is that it doesn't stop with them either. this level of thinking is so widespread and so engraved into the common man's mind, that it has become the norm. How many times do we have to suffer through a piece of AVP promotional material where it's nothing but a predator pwning an alien?

How many times must we see things like this:

http://www.socwall.com/desktop-wallpaper/9021/alien-vs.-predator-by-parminder-rai/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Aliens-vs-Predator-Cheats-47971.shtml

http://www.hdwallpapers.in/view/aliens_vs__predator_game-1440x900.html

Why don't we ever see an alien standing over a predator while striking a cool pose? Simple: the alien just isn't cool enough for that, people identify the predator as a badass figure and don't want his image ruined while the aliens are always thought of as those bugs that got blown away in Aliens. There is nothing cool or appealing about a bug and that's why the predator will always be favored over the aliens.
I'm also a huge predator fan and I feel That are a lot of truths in this huge rant. Let me preface by saying i really do like wolf and yes he was the best thing about AVP R. Why I think Wolf resonated so much with lots of pred fans was because he harkened back to the original movies (P1/2) so much. He seemed ruthless and uncaring, cunning(albeit The hunting and skinning humans on a military like mission was dumbfounding)but so was the whole movie. He wasn't holding hands with a human while they run with explosions behind them. AVP left a bad taste in some of our mouths not because 1 alien took out 2 preds but because they seemed like a castrated version of themselves in AVP. Also wolf look bad ass(when you could seen him lol). The acid burns, and of course all the cool weapons really felt like they brought the predator back in some ways. Having said that I would love to see a true AVP. Give me the Alien from Alien vs a pred. Or put a pred on LV-426 and see how things change with a pred in a hive! I agree Xenos are simply underrated in these battles. They had a biologist weigh in on the AVP debacle. He said rather frankly :Alien all the way. It makes sense. It would be like If a human fights a lion. You have an animal way stronger than you using weaponry it was born with. I think the fights would be closer than we think. One wrong move with either opponent would be capitalized by the other.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed