Predator Study

Started by BANE, May 09, 2010, 09:22:27 PM

Author
Predator Study (Read 46,489 times)

BANE

BANE

Yeah, so clearly I love the predators. They are my favourite movie creatures, with aliens close behind. After that, nothing compares.

I was recently reading the Anchorpoint essays (if you don't know what those are...PLEASE LOOK THEM UP, THEY'RE FREAKING AMAZING), and i said to myself, "why has no one done a decent study of predators?" I mean, I realize that they're not as complex biologically as the Xenomorphs, but there is still a lot to study.

Thus, I will take it upon myself to create such a study. However, such a workload would take me years to do, what with university biochemistry and such. Thus, if anyone would like to help, just post some stuff here, with proof and whatnot.

Here are the topics I will be studying:

Lifespan Estimates
Average Height
Hierarchy/social structure
Skin (density vs human density, colour, etc...)
Muscle structure by comparison to humans
Facial features and their uses
Diet
Technology (ships, shoulder cannons, cloaking, etc....how do they power these?)
Psychology (hunting mind, honour system, etc...)

There are probably more areas, and if someone wants to contribute to those areas of tell me about those areas, please feel free.
The Comics, Novels and movies will all be used, unless they contradict each other.
THANK  YOU

BANE

BANE

Next up is Predator Technology Part 1: Weaponry[/u]

I will be looking at how each of the predators weapons FROM THE MOVIES work, their effectiveness, how they are used, possible elemental composition, and (for plasma weaponry) their power sources. These are the weapons I will be looking at:

Wirst Blades
Plasma Caster
Smart Disc
Combi Stick
Retractable Net
Laser Nets
Self-Destruct/wrist computer
Shuriken (retractable discus from AVP)
Spear Gun

If anyone would like to contribute annything, ether post here or PM me.

Moloch

Moloch

I would certainly like to contribute. :)

bleau

bleau

Good thread by the way.

Height- I think between 7' and 8' would be the most common, Some in rare instances maybe just under 7' or well over 8' I think the most average is 7'6".

Life span- Predators have a high mortality rate given the nature of their culture. However, they do seem to age slowly and have an extended lifespan. The Elder Predator that gives Harrigan the pistol was clearly old and frail. The pistol dates 1715 which mean that Predator survived his trial and claimed that as his trophy during coming-of-age ritual, which suggests they have a lifespan of at least 300-400 years.

Hierarchy/social structure- It seems they respect their elderly. Older ones have the right.

Skin-Compared to humans theirs would be a lot thicker, and may even be many times stronger wieght for weight. So given the strength and thickness I assume there skin is there for added protection from scratches and cuts. They are predators and from evolution they evolved thick stronger skin to aid from injury. Color can vary from individual. Most likely from adaptation from certain environments.

Muscle- Muscle I believe to be slightly more dense compared to humans with many more fibers. Muscle tissue is harder and many times stronger. A Predator can take multiple gunshot wounds, so denser tissue would add more resistance and less penetration from firearms. The strength is many times stronger than our  bodybuilders of today. A predator can lift well over 200lbs with one arm extended with ease. Similar movement for human would be a dumbell front shoulder raise. 100lbs is the most I've seen a professional do
They appear to be very flexible and have excellent athletic capabilities. I can't say how fast they can run but 25 mph up to 35mph sounds about right. I know they can leap and jump vary great distances, it is easy to assume 2 to 3 times of any human records, possibly more. A high jump for us 3 feet, for predator easily 9 foot. Maybe even twice that.

Facial features/diet- Lets start with mandibles. I cannot say for sure but I think it is for stripping meat off bones,I don't believe they chew food like humans, they're teeth are sharp for tearing meat not for chewing. They probably swallow small chunks at a time. I am sure they eat meat because of the nature of their culture. I know that in the comics they say the mandibles are for communication also. Unlike humans they feed once every two days and maybe less frequently. I you look at a Lion pride they sometimes go for up to 2 weeks or more with out food, once they acquire it they binge. I believe a Predator has a metabolism to go without food for long periods of time and then they binge. The comics also state they use mandibles for firing their shoulder canon, this I do not think is true.

Technology- Some believe Predators to have gotten tech from other sources. I do not believe that and I believe they never acquired tech from other sources. With such a great life span the knowledge that they could posses would be a hundred or many hundreds more than one of are smartest scientist. Their language alone could be many times more complex than humans. As far as power supply, we do not know, I think though for example suits, plasma caster, cloaking, it it something small, like the size of two or three quarters stacked up that converts a material into energy. The method for conversion is probably simple and easy to understand. But the materials are something we do not have capability to even make. They might even have microscopic nano bots to make censers and computing chips. Rather than gears and moving parts they most likely rely on mag-lev-technology, using energy alone to move things.

Psychology- The hunt is like their religion. It is probably their main source of entertainment also. Every thing about the predator is for the hunt. They most likely hold themselves and others in their clan to the highest of standards. Their use of honor is most likely from an eye of beholder standpoint. If they're prey has no honor when it kills then a Predator may not give them honor when killing them. As for a code of honor all I can say is they do not kill unarmed prey or pregnant prey, or prey that is weak and sick. they do not appear to be insane or mentally unstable, but they do have a temper. They seem to have a lot of rage at times, could be hormones or because of extensive training causing them to feel like they are failing. They're are a number of reasons for rage I suppose. They could get humiliated by injury, or they use rage as means to accomplish the hunt. I believe that every Predator is vary knowledgeable on everything, from aliens to humans and our language, our society and so on. The reason I say that is because you should know as much as you can about what your hunting. I believe the elders to be the brain and order of their society or clan if you will. The younger Predators are most likely active doing hunts. The success of a hunt leads to a harder more challenging hunt, and so on. The also probably get rewarded on successful hunts with better weapons and armor/tech. I do not believe a male Predator chooses a mate. I believe a female chooses him based on skill level and her own personal preferences. Their society/clan I believe to revolve around the hunt, thus that is way it is so important to them.

There is no concrete proof for any of these but it is a start to learn more about the ultimate hunters.

SM

SM

predxeno

predxeno

If we're including books and stuff, here it goes.  According to Predator Forever Midnight, the Preds stole the hyperdrive technology from a peaceful race that landed on their planet; the enslaved this race and forced them to make more (Though this is from the Hish, it could be possible that the Hish and Yautja are seperate clans.  The Yautja just took the tech from the Hish).  The Hish also have kill glands that when activated drive these Predators into a berserk mode and make them kill everything in reach, even each other.  For info on their eating patterns, try checking out the details and stats of Pussyface from Predator 2.

cvetan

cvetan

Nice idea, I'll say this, the Predators mandibles, I heard somewhere ???, are used not for an adaption to food, but as a communication adaptation. Hope it helps.

BANE

BANE

Wow, I never expected this much of a reply.
I just finished the Lifespan portion of the section and I see someone has come along and done a crapload of work for me (bleau, Predxeno and Cvetan). Thanks quite a bit, actually. Those will be an immense help.
By the way, can I upload documents to this thing?

BANE

BANE

EDIT: The pictures have become out of order...Therefore, you may have to look through them a bit. When looking, scroll right. Or, you could click on USER GALLERIES and find AintGotTime2Bleed...thats probably easier. Whatever toots your horn, or whatever.

Lifespan Estimates

http://avpspectrum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=1&pos=0

How old do predators get before they die? It is a question that has not been explored directly in any of the predator cannon. However, subtle clues are left here and there throughout each work involving them, and thusly an approximation can be made.
   Such a clue is left in the trophy case of the Yautja in Predator 2 in the form of a skull (above). One can note the similarities between the two skulls already. The basic shape, the large teeth, and the eye sockets are all very similar to each other. The size is also an area of concern; they both dwarf human skulls by quite a bit, each looking capable of swallowing a human whole.  The largest tyrannosaurus skull on record was five feet long, with teeth growing up to nine inches in length (23 centimetres). The average human skull is approximately 22 centimetres long and 17 centimetres wide, making the dinosaur's teeth longer than a human skull. In the picture below, you can see a comparative example of the creature's teeth in the predator trophy case versus those of a human skull;

http://avpspectrum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=1&pos=2

As you can see, the tooth is significantly smaller than the human skull. This could mean one of three things. The first is that this isn't a tyrannosaurus at all; it is perhaps a creature from another planet. The second is that it is an undeveloped tyrannosaurus/youngling, however why would a predator hunt something like that? Is it not more honourable to hunt something larger/tougher? (more on that in the Psychology section). The third is that it is another dinosaur beside a tyrannosaurus, yet equally large.
   On that note, let us take a look at the unique features of the creature. The "nose" area looks far more porous (small holes around the nose area). It has far less teeth than the tyrannosaurus, and they appear to be in more disarray than its counterpart. Finally, the most distinguishable feature is the extended mandible bones, shown below compared to a predator:

http://avpspectrum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=1&pos=1

This brings up yet another question: are there any dinosaurs that are approximately the same size as a tyrannosaurus (judging by the similar skull sizes) and had such extended mandibles? The answer, unfortunately, is no (there have been no human findings of such a dinosaur. They are mostly crustaceans and insects). The importance of discovering if this skull matches that of any dinosaur on record is because it can put an approximate age to the skull. Predators are honourable, and thus are not likely to display the trophy case of anyone but their own. Therefore, if that was the trophy case of the Predator in Predator 2, we can safely assume that they were alive 60+ million years ago (the last time a carnivorous dinosaur of such size was seen). Another reason this hypothesis is further proven is in the condition of the skull; if it had been from 60 million plus years ago, it would not have looked so new (unless they have intense preservation technology. However, there seemed to be no barrier between Lieutenant Mike Harrigan and the trophy case, leading to the conclusion that there was no technological preservation, as seen in the force field around the eggs in Alien (1979)(shown Below)). The skull looked just as new as the freshly killed King Willie. Thus, the conclusion can safely be drawn that this is the skull of a creature from another world.

http://avpspectrum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=1&pos=3

However, all hope is not lost. Another clue is displayed in Predator 2 which puts an approximate date on their age. When Lieutenant Mike Harrigan killed the predator, the rest of the ships crew de-cloaks and takes it away. As they are leaving, one of them throws Lt. Harrigan a gun with the inscription "Raphael Adolini 1715". At that time the date was 1997, 282 years from the date on the guns inscription. Therefore, we can safely conclude that the predators live well over 200 years.
            Another point to back up this hypothesis is in Alien vs. Predator (2004), when the Yautja ship comes down to retrieve their fallen comrade. Note the image below:

http://avpspectrum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=1&pos=4

This is the face and mask of the oldest Yautja on their ship. He has clearly hunted xenomorphs before (conclusion drawn from the highlighted symbol on his face and mask; the dead predator did the same after he had killed some xenomorphs as well). These occur every 100 years, meaning that this predator is at least over 100 years old (he was DEFINITELY NOT on the hunt portrayed in the film. Thus, it must have been a prior one). However, if we also assume that this one is much older than all the others on the ship, and they have all proven themselves men in the same fashion, then we can conclude that this predator is over 200 years old. This is, unfortunately, speculation, yet we are guaranteed that this one is AT LEAST 100 years old, and will live for many more years.
          Given the evidence from the films, what can be concluded is that Predators have a lifespan of well over 100 years, with the date on the gun in Predator 2 leading to the hypothesis that they live well over 250 years.

cvetan

cvetan

Nice work.

The PredBen

The PredBen

One interesting point -

Predators , having seen the skull , must've been technologically advanced for over 60 million years. Yet their technology , while more advanced then ours , doesn't seem super advanced.

( compared to other technologically advanced ET's in Movies.)

So it makes me wonder if they haven't progressed much as a species and are acutally on their way out.

Splinter

Splinter

Quote from: The PredBen on May 10, 2010, 01:15:49 PM
One interesting point -

Predators , having seen the skull , must've been technologically advanced for over 60 million years. Yet their technology , while more advanced then ours , doesn't seem super advanced.

( compared to other technologically advanced ET's in Movies.)

So it makes me wonder if they haven't progressed much as a species and are acutally on their way out.
Well keep in mind that the only preds we've seen are the hunters. They aren't suppose to have lots of hi-tech weapons or gear, as it wouldn't be a challenge. I'm very curious though, of how their military might be like.

BANE

BANE

Psychology

Predator society clearly revolves around the hunt. Their passage to manhood involves successfully completing one, the most challenging of which was portrayed in 2004's Alien vs. Predator, in which three Yautja hunt xenomorphs for the right to be considered men. However, Aliens are not the only creatures they hunt. They stalk and kill men and animals as well, including those from planets other than earth. The larger and more dangerous the creature, the more honour one brings to your name.
   Trophy cases are common, not only in predator society but in human culture as well. Human hunters occasionally keep the skulls or heads of the animals they have hunted, such as deer, moose or bears. Why do they do this? They are proud of their accomplishments and wish to display them to the rest of the world. Yet predators take it to a whole new level. Their entire culture is based on the hunt. Their trophy cases are like their identities; the larger the trophy case, the more respected and manly you are. And yet, as the age old adage goes, it's not about quantity, but quality.
   Honour is a trait that almost all predators share. Why do they only kill creatures which are armed and dangerous, when there are many other innocent, easier things to kill? They do this because it is honourable. To kill an unarmed, unsuspecting creature, such as a weak human child or female, is not honourable. It is too easy. They like the challenge, and the more challenges you conquer the more respect you get from the other Yautja. Why did the predator in Predator not kill Anna? Why did the predator in Predator 2 not kill the pregnant Leona Cantrell? Why did it not kill the child, or the dying Mr. Weyland in Alien vs. Predator? The sole reason is because they were not armed, it was not a challenge, and it would have been a dishonour to slay such innocent, easy creatures. They honour their dead as well, evident in Predator 2 and Alien vs. Predator when a group of elderly Yautja retrieve the body of their fallen comrade, perhaps for a predator death ritual.
   Yet these actions also bring up another psychological possibility; the predators have superiority complexes. They clearly consider themselves the greatest species in the universe. They think that the only challenge in life is to arm themselves with the least possible equipment and go hunt dangerous creatures. More often than not they succeed, and this only further fuels the complex. If a predator fails, they are considered lesser and weak. They have the technology to easily conquer nearly every creature and planet they encounter, and yet they prefer to give themselves challenges. They even consider themselves 'above' the xenomorphs, trapping them and hunting them for sport. And yet, in a way, they are correct; they ARE the greatest species in the universe. They are technologically and physically superior to nearly every creature they hunt. Yet over time they have let this go to their heads, and thus the superiority complex is formed. They like to savour victory, and oftentimes silently mock their victims. Take the final fight in Predator, for example; The Yautja could have clearly killed Dutch then and there, but it preferred to savour the moment and taunt him. This resulted in its defeat. In Alien vs. Predator, the predator had the net head alien captured and defeated. A quick, simple stab would have sufficed to kill it once and for all. Yet, again, the predator prefers to taunt the supposedly 'defeated' victim. Net head eventually breaks free from the net (due to its molecular acid blood) and kills the predator. Finally, in Predator 2, the predator stands over Mike Harrigan and slowly approaches him, relishing the victory it thinks it achieved. This once again results in its downfall, with Mike regaining his composure and stabbing the hunter in its stomach, a fatal blow. This superiority complex, whilst not unfounded, has contributed to the downfall of a predator in almost every film they appear in.
   The final trait these creatures share is that they are proud, proud of their technological successes, so much so that they are willing to die just to prevent other creatures from retrieving their technology. Look at the Yautja in Predator; when it has been defeated, instead of letting its body and technology be retrieved by humans, it commits suicide and takes out everything in a several kilometer radius. In Alien vs. Predator Requiem, the Yautja kills a policeman who saw him using their equipment. They are vicious, they are violent, and they are cocky, but predators are also extremely honourable and proud creatures.

Splinter

Splinter

You know, AvP-R in the gun store, when Dallas was tied up to the ceiling, then shot himself free, and fell on the floor while a xeno comes to kill him. Well Wolf kills it and once that happens everyone shows up behind Dallas with the sheriff pointing his shotgun at Wolf, but our pred doesn't do a thing...just looks at them instead of killing sheriff boy (forgot his name, too lazy to look lol). But he kills the two other guys with guns, who in a sense, corner Wolf, so it's no surprise he kills them just to be safe. But in the extended scene, where the mother and daughter go to the graveyard where some guy threatens to shoot the mother's daughter, Wolf blasts off his head even though he wasn't a threat to Wolf....he didn't even know there was a pred in the tree, lol. Also, in the hospital after Wolf accidently maims blonde girl (again, too lazy to look up names :P) junior boy,whom had a crush on blonde, starts shooting Wolf, while Wolf just turns around and stares at him till the xeno slams him down the elevator. AND THEN, hahaha.... Wolf kind of saves Dallas accidently on the roof of the hospital, when the xeno rushes towards Dallas then KABOOM!! Wolf blasts him with his guantlet thingy (followed by that sexy chirp :P). Wolf just stares at Dallas, whom had the preds shoulder cannon, and lets him run away with it. I truly forgot what my point was so just figure it out, lol.

BANE

BANE

Well, one really has to remember that Wolf was NOT there to hunt...he was there to make sure humans didn't get a hold of the predator technology on the crashed ship, and to make sure the xenomorphs didn't take over earth. Humans were just there, nothiing more. I think that him killing humans only happened when he HAD to (when the two stoners cornered him in the gun shop, they visually threatened him with a gun...he had to kill them or die). Next, I mentioned things about the predator not killing those who are weaker/not threatening to themselves...maybe wolf killing the armed human in the graveyard was a rare act of compassion...at any rate, he was armed (both cases I brought up were armed), however only 1 was dangerous to wolf. Weird.
Any thoughts, guys?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed