Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 681,261 times)

xaero

xaero

I love AVP it is an amazing movie. The atmosphere is very good in it. Then we come to AvPR and i really dislike that movie. It feeled as a solid B movie. A teenage splatter movie kind off with no logic at all.

Scorpio

Scorpio

AVPR is perfect if you just want a slasher movie with aliens and predators.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 07, 2017, 02:00:45 AM
AVPR is perfect if you just want a slasher movie with aliens and predators.

Not really, slasher movies are not always crap i.e Halloween or scream. AVPR is a crap movie even as a slasher so trying to just watch it as a slasher gets the same result.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: xaero on Jun 07, 2017, 01:44:28 AM
I love AVP it is an amazing movie. The atmosphere is very good in it. Then we come to AvPR and i really dislike that movie. It feeled as a solid B movie. A teenage splatter movie kind off with no logic at all.

nah, the Godfather is an amazing movie, you are right about the atmosphere though, but it was also a (pg 13) splatter movie with no logic at all, avpr is not solid, is terrible in every aspect (but the music to a certain point, which is not bad but too recycled)

Alionic

Alionic

I'm surprised most people here dislike AVPR more than AVP.

I liked AVPR better for the increased gore (seriously, a PG13 film with Aliens and Predators was some bullshit), a single predator, and the small-town slasher B-movie horror vibe. It also didn't pretend to be anything other than that, either.

AVP was unforgivable for the PG13 rating, the lead actor using an Alien tail and head as a spear and shield (wtf?), and that mind baffling backstory shit about the Predators/Aliens/Humans. I still remember to this day the audience in my theater chanting "kiss! kiss!" when the lead woman knelt down towards the injured predator after she drowned the Alien queen. Thats how over it they were by then. It made Alien Resurrection look like a masterpiece at the time.

In recent years, I've come to view AVP in a more positive light, though. They're both better than 90% of original SyFy channel stuff.

SiL

SiL

AvPR is a much more immature film than AvP. AvP has the lower rating, sure. It pulls all of its punches. But every single thing about AvPR screams 14 year old COD players dreaming up the coolest, most "hardcore" horror film they can, rather than something that makes any sense or actually has any impact. People are introduced just so something awful can happen to them two minutes later. It's not scary, it's not tense, and it's shit even by slasher movie standards. AvP's not scary or tense either, but at least it's not trying to lie to you about being an adult movie.

I will always, always give AvP more credit for the simple fact that Anderson at least tried to make something of it. He gave it scope and he sincerely wanted to make a movie that put audiences back in the mood of the early films. And he absolutely failed. But the Strause Bros and co reached for the gutter and just dove right the f**k in almost purely to not be the previous film, and there's nothing terribly enjoyable about that.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

AVP has scope and grandeur at least, and it does try to go back to the early films. It has insanely long buildup for a 2004 movie, and I realy appreciate this and enjoyed it. I always say the entire buildup up to the first Alien attack is imo to me very enjoyable (after that it turns into a silly video game). Great sets, design, some nice cinematography and some really good shots

It fixed a lot of what I absolutely hated about A:R. It brought aliens back into the shadows. Heres an example, its basically same shot, and same design since they were reusing the suits. Yet, in A:R we have an overly slimy, growling fully lit monster, in AVP, we had very well lit, squealing creature

I like the setting too - Antarctica is isolated with hostile environment - reminds me of LV, and The Thing. And there are few of classic Alien motifs like a small isolated group and being stranded in one enclosed place

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

AVP is most certainly superior and it has its merits, you can at least see they tried with it in terms of ideas and the potential of what it could have been. Requiem is just guttertrash.

NeoXenoPred

NeoXenoPred

I think AvP is the better one. The story seemed better in isolated place, for this one Antartica. There are engaging battle, like Celtic vs Grid and Scar vs Queen. The scene was good, but not as good as the Alien film and Predator film.

AvP-R is bad. Mindless Aliens and incompetent cleaner Predator is the one. Brightness also bad, combined with too over the top gore like the Bellybuster. AvP-R is like you want a horror but the threat appeared very often, which i think not scary. Think of Vallak, she appeared briefly but she was creepy.

Huntsman

Huntsman

AvP isn't a masterpiece but it has grown on me.

The setting is fantastic. An underground pyramid in Antarctica is pretty cool.
The Aliens are more dangerous and present more of a challenge.
There's a decent balance between the two species in terms of victories.
You can see the fight sequences more clearly in comparison to Requiem's absurd darkness.
The unrated edition increases the blood levels but never presents anything outright offensive.

It could've been better given the great concept they had. But as it stands, it's okay.

I don't HATE it like Requiem.

426Buddy

426Buddy

AvP had some good things going for it and a harder edge provided by an R rating would have benefited the movie.

That doesnt mean that all fans wanted is a bloody and gorey film. You cant throw out all the good things about avp and add a bunch of gore and say "hey we just gave you what you wanted!"

I really hate that argument, an R rating doesnt make a film great but when combined with other well done elements it can benefit the story, especially if its concerning adult material like both of these franchises. AvPR is just a shitty film with a horrible plot, when youre starting from that point no amount of blood or gorey imagery is going to help.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 09, 2017, 01:42:24 PM

That doesnt mean that all fans wanted is a bloody and gorey film.

If you go read the trailer reaction thread on here, you will see quite different.  Most fans wanted gore.  That was the number one complaint with AVP.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 09, 2017, 01:51:32 PM
If you go read the trailer reaction thread on here, you will see quite different.  Most fans wanted gore.  That was the number one complaint with AVP.

Doubtful, there are numerous issues, such as the rapid life-cycle speed which would be higher on the hated listed, it is kind of ironic as Covenant adopted that hated version and is currently a source of criticism for Covenant amongst other issues.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 09, 2017, 01:51:32 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 09, 2017, 01:42:24 PM

That doesnt mean that all fans wanted is a bloody and gorey film.

Despite having some good qaulities, the pg13 rating was one of several complaints, along with poor direction, some shoddy acting, and a by the numbers plot.

If the R rating is all we wanted from an AvP film then why is AvPR, with its blood and gore, a far worse film than AvP?

Like i said you cant just throw in blood and guts and strip out all the qaulities that worked in AvP and expect a better film.

I need to stop replying to your posts though, nothing constructive can come of a conversation between us. I should know better by now.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The fundamental -- and unsolvable -- problem any AvP film faces is to conciliate the horror atmosphere of the Alien films with the flamboyant action-horror of the Predator films; and the very idea of a story whose entire foundation is to pit two popular horror characters against each other severely demeans both, i.e. it is far too pulp to take them seriously anymore.

With that in mind, any AvP has to be seen as separate to either Alien/Predator series. So when you see the first AvP as that -- on its own -- it gains a lot, it's an entertaining homage that echoes both film series and pulpifies the characters, making them into exaggerated comic book versions of them: bigger talons, bigger f**kin queen, bigger weapons and blades, you name it. And while not flawless it's solid, imho, only needed some refinements script-wise. Photography, score, effects are all excellent and the casting is alright, with a Henriksen shining tip.

AvPR on the other hand fails as a sequel to its predecessor and fails as a film. It's a pastiche of "what cool things could the Predator do?" and generic horror clichés. SiL put it best actually:

Quote from: SiL on Jun 23, 2017, 11:05:17 AM
every single thing about AvPR screams 14 year old COD players dreaming up the coolest, most "hardcore" horror film they can, rather than something that makes any sense or actually has any impact. People are introduced just so something awful can happen to them two minutes later. It's not scary, it's not tense, and it's shit even by slasher movie standards. AvP's not scary or tense either, but at least it's not trying to lie to you about being an adult movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed