Prometheus & Covenant | Building a Mythos of Savage Creation

Started by lv_226, Oct 28, 2017, 06:53:35 PM

Author
Prometheus & Covenant | Building a Mythos of Savage Creation (Read 793 times)

lv_226

I think that this analysis is absolutely spot on.

https://youtu.be/bLw_fQn5ors

tleilaxu

No, he's literally got it backwards. The creation of the xenomorph represents our deepest desires for survival and violent consumption. It's a beautiful thing, not a thing to be feared.

whiterabbit

Well I liked the interpretation of the video. It's definitely a mythos I want to see played out.

Paranoid Android

While I can't really praise this video because to me it seems to miss (or maybe doesn't miss, but merely chooses not to address) the fact that Covenant's themes are superficial at best (some visual and narrative resemblance to better works of art, but a complete lack of understanding of the moral questions at the center of said works of art, resulting in a film with no moral questions of its own), I thought this video was quite good. I'd go as far as to say it's the best defense of Covenant I've yet seen (even if the video mostly uses the far superior Prometheus to build said defense).

I also can't really fault the creator of the video for "mistaking" the xenomorph to be a thing to be feared instead of a beautiful thing representing our deepest desires for survival and violent consumption, since "a thing to be feared" was what the xenomorphs represented between the years 1979-2017 (which, judging by the voice of the narrator, is longer than the time he spent being alive). The xenomorphs always were a thing to be feared, originally representing mankind's fear of the unknown, rape and birth.

So really, the person who got it backwards was Covenant's director, its 4 writers, anyone involved in the creation and distribution of the film, and anyone in the known universe, unknown universe and its infinite dimensions who had any sort of contact with the film and thought the xenomorph representing something beautiful is a good idea.

skhellter

Was this video made by someone trying to do a
bad immitation of Werner Herzog's accent?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed