Covenant Recut

Started by Ridley 79, Oct 06, 2017, 08:47:18 AM

Author
Covenant Recut (Read 7,659 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I skimmed over the movie and saw these same parts you listed removed. Annoying? No, but obvious to why they were removed.
1. Too intentionally CGI,
2. Brings it back a step at least to the days where effects were used sparingly.
3. Not to show too much of something that could be imagined instead.
I felt those cuts were needed, but all in all I haven't watched it all minute by minute so I'll have to reply back when I have done it.

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 12, 2017, 05:18:56 AM
Watched about 40 mins.  I see you tried to make it more of an Alien movie than a Prometheus movie.  I did like the inclusion of the deleted scenes of the Covenant crew, but this does affect the pacing.

I didn't like some random cuts you made like cutting out Tennessee's line "Let's Party" and the spores going in Ledward's ear.  That made me stop watching, as random edits like that are annoying.

What is your intention with this fanedit, anyway?

dave1978

dave1978

It appears that the video has been taken down,  is there anywhere else i can view this?

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 13, 2017, 01:40:15 AM
I skimmed over the movie and saw these same parts you listed removed. Annoying? No, but obvious to why they were removed.
1. Too intentionally CGI,
2. Brings it back a step at least to the days where effects were used sparingly.
3. Not to show too much of something that could be imagined instead.
I felt those cuts were needed, but all in all I haven't watched it all minute by minute so I'll have to reply back when I have done it.

Thanks exactly why I did it, hope you'll enjoy the whole edit ;)

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 13, 2017, 06:03:27 AM
It appears that the video has been taken down,  is there anywhere else i can view this?

I know, no worries I'll fixed that ASAP ;)

Scorpio

Scorpio

If you don't like cgi, then why not cut out all the cgi then, and not just one shot.  That's why I said it was random.

MoviesGamesMusic

MoviesGamesMusic

I know you answered my question already, and thanks.  But is there any chance you could upload to google drive or some such for us to download your version (like the guy did with the Prometheus workprint)? It would mean we could still watch your edit when we want rather than being disappointed when it is inevitably pulled - like now! I agree with your edits btw and found that the ear infection scene was better being left out   ;)

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 13, 2017, 06:03:27 AM

Hi problem solved, new link on the first post to watch it ;)

Quote from: MetroManila on Oct 13, 2017, 11:47:49 AM
I know you answered my question already, and thanks.  But is there any chance you could upload to google drive or some such for us to download your version (like the guy did with the Prometheus workprint)? It would mean we could still watch your edit when we want rather than being disappointed when it is inevitably pulled - like now! I agree with your edits btw and found that the ear infection scene was better being left out   ;)

Hello thanks !

Yes I agree, you can download it from the link on the first post ;)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

You don't edit CGI out because you don't like it in the first place. You put in as much as it is needed to convey the message and a sense of momentum. Sometimes too much of the CGI cut would ruin the effect. Its like TOO Much fake blood ruins a shot. SO you edit it down or remove how much you see. Not because you don't like fake blood, its just that a certain amount is needed before it much changes the mood from real into comical gore.

Did i even have to explain that?
Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 13, 2017, 09:30:49 AM
If you don't like cgi, then why not cut out all the cgi then, and not just one shot.  That's why I said it was random.

Berend

Berend

Hey ripley79

I know I haven't responded yet, but that is mainly because I watched the theatrical version with a friend yesterday, and I reaply didn't feel like watching it twice so soon.  :laugh:
I was even contemplating watching your version with him ( without him knowing )  but I wasn't sure about its quality yet.

But don't worry, I'll definiatly give it a watch either today or tomorrow, I'm really curious what you made of it.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 13, 2017, 09:43:43 PM
You don't edit CGI out because you don't like it in the first place. You put in as much as it is needed to convey the message and a sense of momentum. Sometimes too much of the CGI cut would ruin the effect. Its like TOO Much fake blood ruins a shot. SO you edit it down or remove how much you see. Not because you don't like fake blood, its just that a certain amount is needed before it much changes the mood from real into comical gore.

Did i even have to explain that?

'Too much' is an opinion.  Covenant has minimal cgi compared to a lot of other 2017 franchise films.

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Quote from: Berend on Oct 14, 2017, 08:03:46 AM
Hey ripley79

I know I haven't responded yet, but that is mainly because I watched the theatrical version with a friend yesterday, and I reaply didn't feel like watching it twice so soon.  :laugh:
I was even contemplating watching your version with him ( without him knowing )  but I wasn't sure about its quality yet.

But don't worry, I'll definiatly give it a watch either today or tomorrow, I'm really curious what you made of it.

Hi again !

No problem, hahaha of course let you some time between the 2 versions ;)

Looking forward to hear you thoughts on it

dave1978

dave1978

Currently downloading.   Also there is already a fan edit splicing Prometheus with Covenant,  http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/fan-splices-together-prometheus-and-alien-covenant-for-epic-sci-fi-odyssey,   reading through the same chap has also done a splice of Prometheus with Alien which may be interesting.

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 18, 2017, 03:12:28 PM
Currently downloading.   Also there is already a fan edit splicing Prometheus with Covenant,  http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/fan-splices-together-prometheus-and-alien-covenant-for-epic-sci-fi-odyssey,   reading through the same chap has also done a splice of Prometheus with Alien which may be interesting.

Hi,

Thanks enjoy ;)

Oh wasn't aware of that I just downloaded it thanks

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Up !

For those who watched it, if you liked it please share, I'm also up to talk about it; what are your thoughts ? Did you like it ? What did you prefer in the theatrical cut / my cut ? Did you feel it was more understandable, especially, for a non-alien fan ?

David Weyland

David Weyland

So I watched your cut. The good news is that you didn't make it worse but I don't think you made it better either, sorry.
It's welcome to see some of the extras & promos included in part & helps it but I think you could include more.
More Advent please & more Crossing (The placing of that though was good) & maybe the shouldercam shots used in the promos making it Blairwitchy
Negatives: Shouldn't have left out the Weyland stuff
Did the sails get retracted before the repairs?

At the end of the day well done to try but it's not epic enough yet for me, check out Prometheus Workprint:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIewBtyckjtVW5aWEtzOU9walE/view
That version massively improves it because it adds more. 3rd best film then.
The Paradise cut ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2IG67aHeg) condensing both movies is also pretty good with the focus on Davids life so far & has an epicness to it that I think might help inspire you further expand your Covenant cut. Either way, thank you :)

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Quote from: David Weyland on Nov 05, 2017, 12:38:44 AM
So I watched your cut. The good news is that you didn't make it worse but I don't think you made it better either, sorry.
It's welcome to see some of the extras & promos included in part & helps it but I think you could include more.
More Advent please & more Crossing (The placing of that though was good) & maybe the shouldercam shots used in the promos making it Blairwitchy
Negatives: Shouldn't have left out the Weyland stuff
Did the sails get retracted before the repairs?

At the end of the day well done to try but it's not epic enough yet for me, check out Prometheus Workprint:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIewBtyckjtVW5aWEtzOU9walE/view
That version massively improves it because it adds more. 3rd best film then.
The Paradise cut ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2IG67aHeg) condensing both movies is also pretty good with the focus on Davids life so far & has an epicness to it that I think might help inspire you further expand your Covenant cut. Either way, thank you :)

Hi !

Thanks for the feedback.

Well let me start with the Weyland / David cut. It was the most difficult choice I've made since I love this prologue and find it great as a first scene.

That being said, It was important for me to have a more Alienish pace and as one thing that bothered me was the lack of characters development and the out of the blue death of character before being introduced to them, I thought it was important to focus on the Covenant crew even if it meant at the prologue expense.

Also as much as I love the prologue, even though it's magnificent and offers a great symmetry with the end and Wagner and the creation, if you consider the whole movie structure having this weyland scene to jump to the Covenant crew with Walter (which for a non alien fan is weird) is questionable.

Also with the last supper being added, I felt it would feel like 2 beginings.

I'm currently working on a Prometheus cut and think that this scene is well suited and pertinent in Prometheus.

For the sails, I did cut off the music as I did in numerous scenes as I thought the theatricul cut featured too much music.

Your remarks were interesting about Last supper and Advent, I have to admit that my main goal was to make more of a recut, rethinking of the structure, rather than an extended cut.

Maybe I should put more crossing ; Advent I'm less sure as I think with the transitions effect and the way the video is edited, too much of it can lead to the sequence being annoying. As we're dealing with bonus features and not deleted scenes it's important to have them suited for a film.

I even tried to start with the "phobos" extra as a prologue but at the end of the day I prefer to be in the ship with the crew from the start.

But thank you, after a while that's hard to stay objective and fresh look at it is always welcomed  ;)

I've seen Paradise but wasn't really convinced by it. Great editing but not a fan of the music he used and found that this parallel cut between the 2 films makes it even more difficult to connect with any of the character or the holloway and Ledward back to back sequences prevent to feel the scenes.

Anyway, I will definitely check the Prometheus workprint thanks for the link. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed