Will you feel cheated if Ridley reverses himself again...

Started by Local Trouble, Sep 17, 2017, 10:26:07 PM

Disappointed?  Cheated?  Betrayed?

Yes
No
Don't care either way
Other (see my reply)
Author
Will you feel cheated if Ridley reverses himself again... (Read 4,899 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

...and reveals that the aliens are indeed an ancient creation of the space jockeys in the next movie?

This may belong in another topic.  Somebody wake up Hicks.

Paranoid Android

I hope Ridley Scott won't even get to make another sequel. If he'll make a sequel, I don't care if he reverses himself again, nor will I be surprised if that ends up being the case.

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 17, 2017, 10:26:07 PM
...and reveals that the aliens are indeed an ancient creation of the space jockeys in the next movie?

Wouldn't surprise me since it's all just being made up as we go. Might even do 180 on the SJ and have the actual SJ be something else then we will have to listen to everyone talk about how great it was that it was the plan all along and Scott's a genius.

Nukiemorph

I'll only feel cheated if the loose ends of Covenant aren't tied up with one more film.

Scorpio

It depends on the story they're trying to tell.  Don't care about canon and if it doesn't follow the rules set up by the other films, as long as the story works.

Deadmeat

At this point this is pretty much my attitude as well. As long as it feels natural and goes with the flow, and seems internally consistent, I'm fine with either direction.

That isn't saying much, though. I don't exactly hold the prequels up as solid canon origins anyway.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 18, 2017, 05:51:20 AM
Don't care about canon and if it doesn't follow the rules set up by the other films.

So it's your fault then. I'm telling mum.

whiterabbit

Not at all. It's obvious that Davids just mimicking the engineers bioweapon and that he has gone robo-insane. Plus there were jockey skulls on a shelf inside of David's lair on the blue-ray extras. So Scott's got that base covered.

I'd feel cheated if Alien: Covenant 2 ends with shitty cgi characters from Alien bitching about the bonus situation. :P

Scorpio

Quote from: Highland on Sep 18, 2017, 06:08:39 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 18, 2017, 05:51:20 AM
Don't care about canon and if it doesn't follow the rules set up by the other films.

So it's your fault then. I'm telling mum.

bb-15

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 17, 2017, 10:26:07 PM

"Disappointed" about a movie is having a negative emotional reaction to it.
I can't react emotionally to a film which does not exist.
I don't even know if there will be a sequel in the David timeline.

- I can't see how I'd feel "Betrayed" by a film. I can disagree with a movie and then walk away from it.

As for the topic of what the Space Jockeys/Engineers did vs David.
- The SJs had the black goo.
From the black goo combined with other DNA came various mutated creatures; the Deacon (with a chestburster form), the Trilobite, the Hammerpede, facehuggers (shown in the "Prometheus" mural), the Neomorph (including a back burster).

That's plenty before David showed up.
Where does the Engineer creation end and David's begin?
- In Ridley's A:C commentary at 1:11:31;

QuoteThat's a Neomorph. First phase. The Xenomorph has armor.

The Neomorph (created by the Engineer's black goo) is very close to the Xenomorph. All that's added is a tougher skin.
Even in the current version of "Covenant" the Engineers have done all the heavy work of creation.
David has just added to it.

* What did David do?

- From Ridley's commentary at, 1:18:48

QuoteHe designed the idea of perpetuation of growth...

David made it easier for his version of the Neomorph (the Xenomorph) to reproduce by creating the xenomorph egg with a jumping / fast moving facehugger which could attack a victim.

That's it.
Nothing to get all upset about from my POV.

(And considering the genius of the Engineers, my personal non canon view is that they had already done in the past what David did in "Covenant". That's not much of a leap of faith. There are much bigger canon/logic problems in other science fiction movies imo.)

;)

Alien³

Don't care either way.

As long as the film finishes David's journey.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I don't care really, this thing's been driven to dreck already. Cannot go that much deeper

SM

windebieste

Here, you people really do need this:

-Windebieste.

PsyKore

People will complain regardless what happens. I'd just rather Ridley finish what he's doing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed