Started by Scorpio, Aug 29, 2017, 04:03:40 AM

Which one do you prefer?

Alien Resurrection
24 (46.2%)
Predators
28 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author
Alien Resurrection vs Predators (Read 4,889 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Alien Resurrection is a natural evolution of the franchise, because one of the questions set up is:  What if the Company got hold of the alien?  But (apparently) this isn't WY but USM, doesn't make much difference though.

Predators is a remake of Predator, and doesn't add much new to really expand the franchise, besides different factions of predators and some new creatures.  The planet itself is not really that interesting.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alionic on Sep 01, 2017, 06:32:26 PM
Brad Dourif was the best part about Resurrection.  ;D

I still think him and Leland Orser were really wasted in that film. I know it's type-casting but I would have loved to have seen Dourif get more presence and more crazy.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Slight tangent, but I f*cking love the crazy little Gediman notes Perry did for the W-Y Report.

SM

SM

Yeah, the haiku was brilliant.  From memory she didn't really care for either Resurrection or Prometheus, but I think her work on those two sections was the strongest.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, likewise.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 04, 2017, 01:46:55 AM
Alien Resurrection is a natural evolution of the franchise, because one of the questions set up is:  What if the Company got hold of the alien?  But (apparently) this isn't WY but USM, doesn't make much difference though.

Predators is a remake of Predator, and doesn't add much new to really expand the franchise, besides different factions of predators and some new creatures.  The planet itself is not really that interesting.

All of this.

From what I gather from Predators, both Pred tribes were at war for reasons unknown. Super Preds didn't show much difference to how one was more threatening then the regular ones. The captured Jungle Hunter felled easily due to being weakened of exposure and other lack of needed resources. Its not even explained why they looked different as well. The planet didn't even look alien looking, rather looked like a mix of rain forest and woodlands.

At least Alien Resurrection tried some neat ideas and was a fun movie overall. People gave crap about Newborn not being threatening enough or looking bad, but it's the result of a horrible experiment made by demented scientist who thought he was making the best thing since sliced bread. It also showed how cursed Ripley is, that even dead, she will still be dragged back to be f**kd around again by both humanity and aliens and that friggin sucks. 

Overall: Predators is copy paste of Predator, but three preds made slightly bigger; Alien Resurrection expanded and moved on to its own thing.

EJA

EJA

PREDATORS every time.

BlackMatter169

I was originally going to say I like both, however as I composed this post I realized that I actually enjoyed Resurrection more. Here's why:

I approach Resurrection as a piece of bizzaaro fiction/comedy. It's pure camp. And I can't help but enjoy it because it doesn't even try to hide what it is and wears the campiness on its sleeve like a badge of honor. Is it a great Alien film? No, but I can safely say we've had worse. At the very least, Resurrection is entertaining in its madness.

Predators, on the other hand, tries to evoke the feel of the original film but lacks the charm. It knows what made the original film great, but has no idea how to be great on its own. Instead it spends most of its time telling you "remember that bit from the first movie??" While I like the ideas it sets up, it never reaches its potential.

Darkblade 25

Hard to say but I go with predators and here's why.

I like the concept of the super predators:
It's interesting to see other predators being exiled due to them not following the honor code.

Human characters are okay:
Pretty obvious that most of them where going to die however it's something I expected plus some of them did have character development and the others didn't trust each other and I like that touch to movies.

The different alien species:
Perhaps a part I liked a lot the river ghost looks like something from a video game and I personally like the design however it only had one scene and wasn't mentioned again. The predator dogs where interesting as well they had red blood and where tracking dogs plus the design is cool makes me think if regular predators use them.

I did give only three reasons because I don't have a lot of time right now but I did give some reasons for liking the film.

BigDaddyJohn

Resurrection for me, bolder movie, less pretentious.

Corporal Hicks

You'd consider Predators pretentious? How so?

BigDaddyJohn

It's all on Rodriguez for me. The interviews where he say he wanted to pay homage to the original movie, but without understanding what made the strength of it. He's not the legatee of Mc Tiernan, but he speaks like he understood him, which is not the case considering what Predators looked like. The yakuza-predator fight scene clearly showed that he didn't get the symbolism of the off-screen confrontation between Billy and the predator, Instead he chooses to show the "fight", like a child who would say "whoa look at my badass fight between a yakuza and a predator, so cooool !" Not cool and pretentious to me. Some stuff is ok, the cinematography, some shots are decent, but that's it.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Predators all day long.

Alien Resurrection is just dull... and I really hate Leland Orser and that annoying staccato / panicky delivery of his.

Helipilot713

Honestly, I would watch Jaws 4 before I ever watched Resurrection again. That movie ruined the Alien franchise. The movie was incredibly forced. Whoever came up with the idea of that newborn should have been fired immediately. That thing was the final nail in that movies coffin. Cloning Ripley was already a step in the wrong direction. Alien 3 was good and had an ending to the series that I could live with. Then Resurrection came and ruined EVERYTHING!!!!! 

Tangent over.

Also, I would please love for someone to explain to me how exactly Predators is an exact copy of Predator, because I just don't see that at all. It had so many new and different elements to it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Helipilot713 on Nov 02, 2017, 03:43:24 AM
Also, I would please love for someone to explain to me how exactly Predators is an exact copy of Predator, because I just don't see that at all. It had so many new and different elements to it.

Yeah, that's the kind of criticism that just makes me roll my eyes a little bit. It undeniably has moments that are obviously "homages" to the original and it's set in the jungle but a remake or a copy that does not make.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed