Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 52,675 times)

Huggs

"what I personally think is one of the things that all other movies, except Cameron's, have failed in, is the ambience/atmosphere of the first movie".

Exactly. We are operating behind the curtain now. It's not happening off somewhere in the darkness, the process is right in our face. We have humanoids interacting peacefully and openly with what should be an unseen creature of violent nature. What makes sharks so scary? The fact that any second this giant tooth-ridden maw could spring towards you from the murkiness. And you won't know it or see it until it's right on you, but you know there's a large predator out there somewhere, operating off a natural instinct...to hunt.

The thing that really struck me as a particularly interesting example in Covenant was Orams death. We knew what was going to happen to Oram, there was no surprise. It was just a dirty move by David, a humanoid creation. If Oram stumbled or fell into some dark hole on accident and you heard skittering, that's scary.  The music choice was alittle...odd, and the only other being in the room when this nightmare is born is a smiling android who the Alien doesn't even care about. Where's the tension? The flash of shimmering blackness, and a rapidly fading scream as someone is dragged far off into the night, that's scary. The bloody footprint scene onboard the covenant, that kind of shot is scary. Aliens in the daylight, David feeling android love for his Xeno babies, showing the neomorph stop, think, and physically access the temple? Not so much. We see, we're involved, we're behind the scenes. There's no distance, no room to create fear. But this is the David show, he's our Alien, "A survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality". By golly he's great at it, but it's also become such a deeply philosophical sermon on artificial intelligence and introspection regarding human mortality, that it doesn't feel anything like an Alien movie.

PierreVW

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 23, 2017, 10:53:38 PM
"what I personally think is one of the things that all other movies, except Cameron's, have failed in, is the ambience/atmosphere of the first movie".

Exactly. We are operating behind the curtain now. It's not happening off somewhere in the darkness, the process is right in our face. We have humanoids interacting peacefully and openly with what should be an unseen creature of violent nature. What makes sharks so scary? The fact that any second this giant tooth-ridden maw could spring towards you from the murkiness. And you won't know it or see it until it's right on you, but you know there's a large predator out there somewhere, operating off a natural instinct...to hunt.

The thing that really struck me as a particularly interesting example in Covenant was Orams death. We knew what was going to happen to Oram, there was no surprise. It was just a dirty move by David, a humanoid creation. If Oram stumbled or fell into some dark hole on accident and you heard skittering, that's scary.  The music choice was alittle...odd, and the only other being in the room when this nightmare is born is a smiling android who the Alien doesn't even care about. Where's the tension? The flash of shimmering blackness, and a rapidly fading scream as someone is dragged far off into the night, that's scary. The bloody footprint scene onboard the covenant, that kind of shot is scary. Aliens in the daylight, David feeling android love for his Xeno babies, showing the neomorph stop, think, and physically access the temple? Not so much. We see, we're involved, we're behind the scenes. There's no distance, no room to create fear. But this is the David show, he's our Alien, "A survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality". By golly he's great at it, but it's also become such a deeply philosophical sermon on artificial intelligence and introspection regarding human mortality, that it doesn't feel anything like an Alien movie.

I disagree.

ALIEN 3 had the same atmosphere of the original ALIEN.

And I love 2 scenes in PROMETHEUS and ALIEN: COVENANT:

1.- The Abortion scene in PROMETHEUS.

2.- The First Attack in ALIEN: COVENANT. With the deaths of that 1 man and 2 female(1 black female).

Ridley Scott is The King of Tension. He still creates VERY TENSE scenes.

Huggs

Huggs

Alien 3 is still the scariest of all the films to me. So I definitely agree that it's atmosphere was superb. I personally find Prometheus to be more dark in tone than Covenant. The atmosphere of the older films is what made them so entertaining to me as an individual. With covenant though, I just feel too much was shown, the "tracking the xenomorph" scene being a good example. Showing the neomorph infiltrate the building was yet another. The abortion scene from Prometheus looked physically taxing, but I don't find medical procedure scenes (even of that nature) to be tense or terrifying. The med-bay scene in Covenant was a more intriguing effort, but the excessive lighting and slashing with its little feetsies kind of dropped it down a notch for me. What can I say? I'm a sucker for fangs.

All things being equal, my favorite take-away from both the prequels has been Fassbender's performance. David is a truly unique character, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every moment he's on screen. Even the birthing scene. ::)  Scott can definitely build tension, but there's a certain distance way far out where if you can see things coming, there just not that scary.

To better word it, I think the prequels are good science fiction, but less-than stellar horror. Alien 1 - 3, were a beautiful blend of both. For example, Aliens hatching can still serve as a grotesque sight, but frightening doesn't mean grotesque and so on. Dallas's trek and death in the vents during the first film are a good example of that principle. Not a gross moment one, but still genuinely terrifying to this day. Having mouthbursters and backbursters in covenant brings shock value and plenty of "eews", but it's not what I would consider deftly weaved tension, or terror. The mouthburster especially, considering the backburster scene took place only moments before.

Tonyhartmorph

"Please o pretty please with cherry on top.....lets forget Ripley........David F**king Fincher killed her fullstop"

Wasn't Fincher though, it was Weaver.

This is another reason the Blomkamp/Weaver coven (pun intended I suppose) irritates me. I don't know, I get bored of typing out the same thing over and over, but the Hicks and Newt characters weren't involved with Alien 3 because Weaver has expressed in interviews, on camera that they story is about Ripley. Scripts were written without her involvement that focused on Hick, Newt and Bishop because she didn't want to return. A big pay check and an executive producer credit later...

How many closures does she want for the character?

She was the star the producers wanted after Aliens and they forego the other directions that had been written to accommodate her when she felt like returning for Alien 3.

Love her, but she's an arse.

Tonyhartmorph

Sorry for the awful typos.

Nostromo

Alien movies should be intelligent horrortropes first 2nd marines n smart action...or both as in Aliens...Cov got destroyed for dumb character actions... again..alien res style cgi..some of it worked....barely...protomorph juveniles were ehh...adult version better but again stupid dumb scenes were performed....same with original alien chap scenes, 80% were mediocre...poor planet and locations were chosen as landscape...many biomechanical aspects were absent...replaced by simple passe landscapes like earth, grass, caves..

Scorpio

The environment is done well, we never had that type of environment in an Alien film before (unless you count the forest in AVPR).  The New Zealand location gave it an exotic look, though.  It kind of looked mythic with the Roman style ruins ("when in Rome").

tleilaxu

I don't know about you guys but the baby neomorphs were pretty tense to me. Like when a totally newborn baby headbutts its way through thick glass, I was hooked. I'm just sad that so many things were spoiled to me, I would've like the whole thing to be a surprise.

palerider

palerider

My two cents worth;

Third movie; (Hoping that there will be one)

The 4 horseman of the apocalypse.

1- David : Remember when the xeno bursted out of Oram, it raised and saluted David and David saluted him back. Also remember  David's interaction with the neo. He kind of controls them......a father/mother figure . Now 2000 souls makes 2000 xenos...........an army !

2-Engineers: Well Ridley said it, they are back.......now their goal is Revenge.

3- Weyland-Yutani: Ash - Bishop - David, they were all mesmerised by the species and I believe they have a way of communicating back with Weyland. So the third party will be Weylands people.....call it colonial marines or men in black....the cavalry......whatever.

4- I'm bit lost on this one .Could be the main new character introduced.......and I hope its Tom Hardy. ;D....Ripley and Daniels had done their share,
now we need a strong male character.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: palerider on Jun 24, 2017, 07:20:36 AM
My two cents worth;

Third movie; (Hoping that there will be one)

The 4 horseman of the apocalypse.

1- David : Remember when the xeno bursted out of Oram, it raised and saluted David and David saluted him back. Also remember  David's interaction with the neo. He kind of controls them......a father/mother figure . Now 2000 souls makes 2000 xenos...........an army !

2-Engineers: Well Ridley said it, they are back.......now their goal is Revenge.

3- Weyland-Yutani: Ash - Bishop - David, they were all mesmerised by the species and I believe they have a way of communicating back with Weyland. So the third party will be Weylands people.....call it colonial marines or men in black....the cavalry......whatever.

4- I'm bit lost on this one .Could be the main new character introduced.......and I hope its Tom Hardy. ;D....Ripley and Daniels have done their share,
now we need a strong male character.
4 could be the creators of the engineers, space jockeys.  They could be large and have elephant faces.  This would establish that the life form corpse on LV426 is an actual skeleton and the engineer space suits were merely designed to resemble their makers.

palerider

Good point.........agree.

cliffhanger

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 23, 2017, 10:48:35 PM
Quote from: cliffhanger on Jun 23, 2017, 08:04:00 PM
Honestly, i'm very let down by Covenant as i think it's just a huge turdpile. Frankly, i've really lost a lot of hope in this movie, and it's more or less destroyed the franchise forever.

Wow, dramatic, much?

no just an opinion. it's dramatic to cut away the context and then try to impose it as dramiatic while it isn't.
so what's your goal here then, huh?

Sway

BUT BUT BUT BUT HE KILLED ALL THE ENGINEERS!!!!! (OK, I'm being a jerk saying that but still...proving a point).

Rockybear

My only thought upon this interview is, we may have a larger chance to see another alien prequeal.

juxtapose

juxtapose

bad carma for the engineers, they created us and then decided. .nah we can do better so lets destroy this sinfull lot with black goo and then we can try to create something different, but their plans backfired and one of our creations bombs them with the same bioweapon intended for us. .how brilliantly ironic. .unfortunately the enemy of our enemy is not our friend either. .david is hell bent on destroing us with his xeno army. .trying to finish what the engineers started. .it all boils down to. .sometimes in order to create one must first destroy. .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed