Which Alien film was the most boring?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 15, 2017, 06:53:02 PM

Which Alien film was the most boring and blaze?

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Author
Which Alien film was the most boring? (Read 18,140 times)

Protozoid

Most of the Alien movies are nicely paced. Alien3 does bore me, though. It isn't a bad movie, it just doesn't hold my attention. Overall I like the pacing of Prometheus the best. The other movies sometimes lose my attention after the build-up to the action.

SM

SM

Prometheus a bit a bit all over the place in the second half.  Alien 3 moves better in the theatrical.  Aliens sags a little in between the drop ship crash and the facehugger attack.  Resurrection is stop-start after the Aliens escape.

Alien rules all and none of them are boring.

Scorpio

Alien drags in the final act.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 24, 2017, 06:42:50 PM
Prometheus. Uneven pacing, uninteresting things happening onscreen -- besides a couple scenes

THIS ENTIRELY.

I don't know where Alien Resurrection is "boring" came from? Yeah, it's silly but not boring like these 12 people voted for surprisingly.

SM

SM

There's too much 'lets stand around and have a chat' in Resurrection.

BishopShouldGo

Yeah and Resurrection is literally "let's get from point A to point B!" Done.

And yeah I never noticed it but holy shit Resurrection is a lot of extraneous yapping. Perez and Elgyn get a dialogue scene and for what? They die minutes later. The "we can't trust her" scene. The "earth? I'd rather stay here with the things" scene. The Call boxing gloves scene. The Call is a robot scene. Those damn Resurrection hallways.

My vote goes to Covenant. I'm a colossal Alien fan. Since four years old. There is a big f**king problem if I'm falling asleep and bored out of my mind in a Dolby cinema watching a new Alien movie by Ridley Scott with TWO MICHAEL FASSBENDERS in the scene. Once David showed up the movie turned into a mess. I still can't get over how random and pointless and lacking in story Covenant was. My LORD.

Prometheus has barely if any gratuitous yapping. Very tight. And amazing dialogue. Unlike Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder ruining everything with their lines.

PierreVW

Aliens: Extended Cut.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 29, 2017, 05:36:07 AM
Aliens: Extended Cut.

James CAMERON released a special edition for both Aliens and T2 with SIMILAR RUNTIMES.

James Cameron is VERY METICULOUS with his movies that is why RIDLEY has directed more.

SM

SM

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 29, 2017, 05:21:45 AM
Yeah and Resurrection is literally "let's get from point A to point B!" Done.

And yeah I never noticed it but holy shit Resurrection is a lot of extraneous yapping. Perez and Elgyn get a dialogue scene and for what? They die minutes later. The "we can't trust her" scene. The "earth? I'd rather stay here with the things" scene. The Call boxing gloves scene. The Call is a robot scene. Those damn Resurrection hallways.

My vote goes to Covenant. I'm a colossal Alien fan. Since four years old. There is a big f**king problem if I'm falling asleep and bored out of my mind in a Dolby cinema watching a new Alien movie by Ridley Scott with TWO MICHAEL FASSBENDERS in the scene. Once David showed up the movie turned into a mess. I still can't get over how random and pointless and lacking in story Covenant was. My LORD.

Prometheus has barely if any gratuitous yapping. Very tight. And amazing dialogue. Unlike Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder ruining everything with their lines.

I don't think Resurrection has excessive yapping as such, it's more the fact they stand around yapping and you never get the impression they're in any real danger.  They could've condensed the scenes where they meet Ripley and where they meet Vriess into one.  The chapel scene is one of my favourite in any Alien film (the extended version) but it comes at a point where they should be building on the excitement of the kitchen/ ladder scene.  Everything just stops so they can have another yap.  There's a scene where they're walking along and Johner asks Ripley about meeting the Aliens before - Resurrection needed more 'lets talk while we walk'.

Compare it to Aliens and you get 20 minutes of yapping between the dropship crash and facehugger attack - but a) they're sealed in a safe spot and b) it's punctuated by the sentry guns scenes meaning it's not going to be safe for long.

BishopShouldGo

Ahh that's what I couldn't quite put my finger on the last few times I watched it. There is indeed no sense of threat a lot of the time. The film could've used an Andrews' death moment to break that spell. That extended chapel scene is an all great Alien scene.

Not to mention all of the Aliens dialogue is really good. Such amazing scenes with ripley and Burke. And ripley putting newt to bed. Vs Ron and Winona yelling and whining.

SM

SM

Yeah an Alien jumping out and just nailing someone in the middle of some dialogue, would've helped them get a wriggle on.

Yautja2117

Probably should have just sold it as a podcast

PsyKore

Resurrection's "stand around yapping" is typical of Joss Whedon's writing. It really reminds me of Buffy which was similar in that regard.

But of course, Whedon had nothing to do with how bad the film was. :laugh:

SM

SM

Yeah it was everyone else.

Scorpio

The film is not bad, but if there is a problem it is Whedon's script (not bad on it's own, but there may have been mistranslation) and the budget cuts.

But the visuals and style are more important in Alien Resurrection, than the dialogue.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed