It doesnt get better on the 2nd viewing

Started by Deklien, May 29, 2017, 01:42:42 PM

Author
It doesnt get better on the 2nd viewing (Read 1,631 times)

Deklien

Really disappointed with Alien Covenant. I have now watched it twice (hoping I would find it more enjoyable the second time )
I found the acting good, in particular Crudrup, McBride, Ejojo, Fassbender, Siemetz and Waterson, however the film has so many flaw.
The death scenes are so rushed.
I didnt find the film scary in the slightest.
Some of the CGI was poor.
Would really like another Alien film, but based on current box office performance I have a feeling this may not happen.
The film would of benefitted from an additional 30 minutes.
Is anyone else of the same opinion?

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Deklien on May 29, 2017, 01:42:42 PM
Really disappointed with Alien Covenant. I have now watched it twice (hoping I would find it more enjoyable the second time )
I found the acting good, in particular Crudrup, McBride, Ejojo, Fassbender, Siemetz and Waterson, however the film has so many flaw.
Would really like another Alien film, but based on current box office performance I have a feeling this may not happen.

What is Ridley's obsession with a movie needing to be 2 hours?  Is it purely financial? For example, if a flick is two hours the theater can squeeze in one or two extra showings per day?

Do people base which movies they want to see based on runtime?   ???

shawsbaby

I actually appreciated it more on the second viewing. I was particularly more into the final 15 minutes. Don't get me wrong - the whole Xeno ending still feels rushed and way under developed, but I found more to admire on the second viewing. I think the first 95 minutes or so are very solid.

Deklien

Deklien

Couldnt agree more. Most of my fav movies are well over two hours.

Quote from: shawsbaby on May 29, 2017, 02:21:24 PM
I actually appreciated it more on the second viewing. I was particularly more into the final 15 minutes. Don't get me wrong - the whole Xeno ending still feels rushed and way under developed, but I found more to admire on the second viewing. I think the first 95 minutes or so are very solid.
Yeah I agree that the last 15 with Daniels and Tennesse facing off with the Xeno was an aspect more enjoyable the second time round.

ThunderV

I have seen it twice and also read the novel.  I did enjoy it more the second time.....I consider it a good story somewhat ruined by movie editing.

Highland

I think this is my problem. I've not watched it a second time, although I can't imagine it getting better.

My initial thoughts were quite good, slightly positive, but the more I started to let things simmer in at bedtime, the more the dislike grew like a kind of virus til I was full blown hating on it.

Deklien

Quote from: Highland on May 29, 2017, 02:47:24 PM
I think this is my problem. I've not watched it a second time, although I can't imagine it getting better.

My initial thoughts were quite good, slightly positive, but the more I started to let things simmer in at bedtime, the more the dislike grew like a kind of virus til I was full blown hating on it.
I wouldnt say I hate it, just found it disappointing. Could of been a lot better.
It was certainly rushed. I found that Prometheus grew on me after multiple viewing, really cannot see Covenant doing the same.

The_Foxcatcher

Quote from: Deklien on May 29, 2017, 01:42:42 PM

I saw it thrice. The movie of course doesn't get better upon repeated viewings and I think I am enjoying watching it again just because I'm a huge Alien fan and this movie is a fresh installment and lets me live in the Alien universe. That's it.

Whereas Prometheus had a monumental re-watch value. It got better and better at repeat viewings. Covenant doesn't come close to it. Prometheus had many mesmerizing moments, great story, layered characters, breathtaking visuals and many thrilling+innovative movie moments.

Covenant lacks creativity. Neo-morphs were the only fresh breath of air. Whereas, like I said above, watching it just lets you stay in the Alien universe and we will watch it just like how we re-watch Alien 3 or AvP. 

Highland

I think if I watched it a second time I'd probably just switch it off after the Alien get's crushed in the crane. The movie is pretty much finished there for me. There's no benefit to the last 20 minutes apart from the "wow you really didn't know it was me!"scene.

Gash

Quote from: Highland on May 29, 2017, 03:10:13 PM
There's no benefit to the last 20 minutes apart from the "wow you really didn't know it was me!"scene.

I think a second viewing makes it more obvious that it's not even supposed to be a twist - every shot of David masquerading as Walter has obvious ticks that show he is observing his alien.

iain

I've only seen it once so I need a few more viewings before I can form a real opinion.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Gash on May 29, 2017, 03:15:11 PM
Quote from: Highland on May 29, 2017, 03:10:13 PM
There's no benefit to the last 20 minutes apart from the "wow you really didn't know it was me!"scene.

I think a second viewing makes it more obvious that it's not even supposed to be a twist - every shot of David masquerading as Walter has obvious ticks that show he is observing his alien.

My second viewing only cemented my opinion on it and reinforced it even.

railslave

Ive seen it twice and read the book (far superior)

My overall opinion is that its very shallow.. HOWEVER

I hated Prometheus and it proved to be quite the grower, I really, really like that film now and watch it all the time now in an effort to glean more from its depth.

If anything the action focus of AC (thanks "Aliens" moaners )  destroyed it...Some of the most powerful moments were with Walter and David, the sensitive moments are really effective and the transition from Shaw to the flute eulogy was devastatingly beautiful.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: railslave on May 29, 2017, 06:48:14 PM
Ive seen it twice and read the book (far superior)

My overall opinion is that its very shallow.. HOWEVER

I hated Prometheus and it proved to be quite the grower, I really, really like that film now and watch it all the time now in an effort to glean more from its depth.

If anything the action focus of AC (thanks "Aliens" moaners )  destroyed it...Some of the most powerful moments were with Walter and David, the sensitive moments are really effective and the transition from Shaw to the flute eulogy was devastatingly beautiful.

How do you know Covenant won't be a grower just like Prometheus was. I think it will be become much more popular as time goes on.

Gash

Gash

A lot of these reviews are very reminiscent of Blade Runner's initial reaction in 1982. Took ten years to be appreciated and even then it was only the hardcore devotees that brought it back to more widespread attention.

Sadly ALIEN is saddled with many different factions of fandom - who divide largely around the director they prefer. Making the whole thing a very mixed bag.

Some look at Covenant as a continued decline, I look at it as a renaissance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed