"Film Researcher" / "8-9 page document"

Started by skhellter, Apr 02, 2017, 09:00:01 PM

Author
"Film Researcher" / "8-9 page document" (Read 2,953 times)

cliffhanger

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 03, 2017, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 03, 2017, 01:15:17 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 03, 2017, 09:21:23 AM
Pretty obvious as to why NB's A5 was terminated.

In addition to the plot being fanfiction and his last two films being dreadful flops, yes.

But lets pretend Exodus: Gods and Kings, Robin Hood and The Councilor never happened, right?  ;)

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 03, 2017, 02:18:22 PM
That would be funny... and terrible.

At this point, it sounds like the "film researcher"
might have been some sort of low level intern who saw Alien and Aliens once.
:P

It's actually pretty hilarious, when you think about it. They probably hired some kid to tell Ridley what made Alien tick and how he's not allowed to break the rules that film made. Shit, didn't he direct the bloody thing?  :laugh:

exodus: gods and kings was absolute gutter trash and cringeworthy. it was absolutely horrible.
robin hood was absolute 'meh' at best. i haven't seen thee councelor but i don't remember any positive reactions
at all so to be honest, its probably not worthwile.

i must say i had good interest in a blomkamp alien movie not because of blomkamp, but because of the concept art that appeared.
the more i look into blomkamp material, the less excited i get for his movies.
it's vise versa with for example denis villeneuve. the more i look into his material, the more excited i would get if he'd go for an alien movie.

Ingwar

Scott delivers only when the script is good. But then we can say that about any director.

SM

Since they specifically said 'Film historian' I don't imagine they factored in the comics and stuff.  Nor would they really need to, as they seem to be working in the period leading up to Alien.

skhellter

Would be interesting to have David get lost in a ship for a while..
only to be found in the post Alien Resurrection period.  8)

Bring Back RIPLEY 8!  :laugh:

whiterabbit

David stuffed in a foot locker... sure, why the hell not. I can't wait until some poor schmucks land on a world entirely inhabited by Ripley's. The universe's perfect killing humanoid.

aliennaire

QuoteHuffam says that they set out to examine the Alien mythology and isolate what makes this movies tick in the first place. The result was an 8-10 page document which laid out the rules of the Alien universe
It doesn't sound like a chronological account of Alien movies events to me, they were more interested in gleaning out the elements helping these films to impress the audience. So, considering the nature of the film their Rule book may look like - in a very slight approximation - 'three jumps here, two screams there, Alien's mug up-close, swift scrambling in the background with a splash of blood'.

It also feels like an internal, filmmakers' eyes only document, nevertheless, it would make a generous gift to all of us if they publish it on Alien Universe website on April 26 :-)

MajorB

Quote from: cliffhangerrobin hood was absolute 'meh' at best.
I liked Robin Hood. It was silly, schlocky fun with classic Scott visual flair. Plus, the scenery chewing of Prince John was amazing. OUTLAAAAAAAAAAAAW

whiterabbit

Quote from: MajorB on Apr 03, 2017, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: cliffhangerrobin hood was absolute 'meh' at best.
I liked Robin Hood. It was silly, schlocky fun with classic Scott visual flair. Plus, the scenery chewing of Prince John was amazing. OUTLAAAAAAAAAAAAW
People don't like Ridley Scott's version of Robin Hood because he change the dynamics of the characters. Namely the Robin Hood became a villain and the Sheriff of Nottingham become a sympathetic bureaucratic. Instead of the tried and true, steal from the selfish rich, give to the poor vigilante character that Robin Hood is.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 03, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
People don't like Ridley Scott's version of Robin Hood because he change the dynamics of the characters. Namely the Robin Hood became a villain and the Sheriff of Nottingham become a sympathetic bureaucratic. Instead of the tried and true, steal from the selfish rich, give to the poor vigilante character that Robin Hood is.

That was how the script was originally supposed to play out. But instead we ended up with the usual Robin-good, Sheriff-bad trope. Have you actually watched the film rabbit?  :P

It's got some lovely visuals and very authentic period costumes and architecture, but story-wise it's about as historically accurate as Star Wars. And then you get some really silly stuff like the maid Marion turning into Joan of Arc and riding off to war on a pony in full-plate armour with some kids in tow to face battle hardened French soldiers.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 03, 2017, 01:59:45 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 03, 2017, 01:15:17 PM
In addition to the plot being fanfiction and his last two films being dreadful flops, yes.

Unless you work in the industry, none of us has any clue what the plot was about, much less are in a position to judge it.

Well, I do work in the industry but no, I haven't read the script. That being said we know some the basic pitch, and I think I can judge bringing back Hicks and Newt for some pew pew fun reliving our childhoods as much as I like. I loved those characters and Aliens, but come on.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 03, 2017, 05:36:51 PM
But lets pretend Exodus: Gods and Kings, Robin Hood and The Councilor never happened, right?  ;)

Ridley Scott has had plenty of flops and made terrible dreck. He's also had a ton of hits and made great films. That's why he's Ridley Scott and Neill Blomkamp is not. Further, good or bad Scott still makes a lot of different films; Blomkamp has made the same bad film over and over, emulating the heavy-handed message of District 9 but only diminishing it in the process. These are all some of the reasons Scott's film is being made and Blomkamp's is not. I'm not calling Ridley Scott a genius, far from it. I am calling him a skilled director and a smart businessman. Right now Neill Blomkamp is on track to just being a one-hit wonder.

BishopShouldGo

Ridley was further bolstered by The Martian making all that bank.

If Goddard had directed, and that script never made it across Scott's desk, and he went straight to Prometheus 2, who knows... we could be awaiting the Blomkamp film right now.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 02, 2017, 10:24:48 PM
Will the real film researcher please stand up...

It was me, you guys. It was fairly simple, really. I just disregarded everything related to AVP and included Alien: Harvest.

SpeedyMaxx

I think Ridley will always have more clout with Fox than Blomkamp, especially considering the double-header of Elysium and Chappie. I think his film was always going to take priority. But The Martian sure didn't hurt.

BishopShouldGo

Yeah P2 was in development for years as we all know.

SM

Quote from: CainsSon on Apr 06, 2017, 04:07:27 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Apr 02, 2017, 10:24:48 PM
Will the real film researcher please stand up...

It was me, you guys. It was fairly simple, really. I just disregarded everything related to AVP and included Alien: Harvest.

Wot?  No Deadliest Of The Species???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed