Ridley Scott: Alien was a B movie idea. A posh horror.

Started by Ingwar, Mar 03, 2017, 10:55:02 PM

Author
Ridley Scott: Alien was a B movie idea. A posh horror. (Read 2,848 times)

Ingwar

Ridley Scott talking about Alien during Joblo's Covenant set visit.

QuoteHe thinks of ALIEN as a a posh horror film. He never thought of ALIEN as a horror film – it just scared the shit out of people. It was about what is real tension, what is real fear as it is very hard to scare people. So he thought he'd try and come back and do another one like that with Covenant.

He thought that ALIEN had run its course; but then thought with that special kind of creature, it shouldn't have run its course and should not have ended. So he's coming back to it with a very simple idea, who created them, nobody ever asked that question, and why do they exist?

ALIEN was about 7 guys and gals in a steel hull, which was frankly a very old idea, the spooked house and who is going to die next. It was a B movie idea but with class and a superior cast which made it an A+ film.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/alien-covenant-set-visit-3-ridley-scott-billy-crudup-demian-bichir-540

426Buddy

Nothing new, Scott has stated before that ALIEN is a B movie with A level production values

Kimo

Kimo

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in space as Ridley Scott said... Obviously Ridley story boarding Alien with his fancy art skills and photography skills give Alien a little boost in its budget. Not long before Alien, most Science fiction films were seen as B movies. But thanks to films like Star Wars and 2001 a Space Odyssey, Science Fiction was starting to be taken more seriously. Also the fresh Talent with new director and artists like Giger breaking out in to the scene made Alien in to a film that was a B movie on paper to now an all time classic. To me Alien was made at the right time in film history just like other classics like Star Wars.

Xenomrph

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 04, 2017, 12:55:06 AM
Nothing new, Scott has stated before that ALIEN is a B movie with A level production values
To be fair, he's not wrong.

BishopShouldGo

He has stated this forever.

Ingwar

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 05, 2017, 05:19:03 PM

He has but it doesn't mean we have to agree with him.

426Buddy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 05, 2017, 05:12:42 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 04, 2017, 12:55:06 AM
To be fair, he's not wrong.

Yeah i know, i agree with him myself. Just throwing it out there that hes been saying this for a while.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 05:24:38 PM

Lol whaaaat?! Sure. 

Ingwar

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 05, 2017, 05:48:34 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 05:24:38 PM

Lol whaaaat?! Sure.

Alien movie idea is not typical B movie. Besides, what does it mean B movie?

BishopShouldGo

Once you find out what a B movie is, you might understand why everybody, including the director himself, refers to it as a B-movie done as an A-movie.

Ingwar

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 06, 2017, 07:28:15 PM
Once you find out what a B movie is, you might understand why everybody, including the director himself, refers to it as a B-movie done as an A-movie.

Once you find out what rhetorical question is, you might understand why I asked it.

BishopShouldGo

SM

So everyone is clear on what a b-movie and/ or a rhetorical question is, yes?

BishopShouldGo

SM

As I thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed