The Weyland Yutani Report Is On Sale At Amazon.

Started by Richman678, Feb 06, 2017, 09:32:42 PM

Author
The Weyland Yutani Report Is On Sale At Amazon. (Read 6,820 times)

Local Trouble

What if HP is a bestseller?

windebieste

That would be nice, huh...  ;D 

...but I'll answer this question over here for the sake of keeping this thread on topic.

-Windebieste.

lightsyder

Well, to prove my worth a copy shall be purchased tonight!  Lol

Local Trouble

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 12, 2017, 10:50:56 PM
That would be nice, huh...  ;D 

You never know.  It could become the Dianetics of the new millennium. :)

Xenomrph

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 12, 2017, 10:13:47 PM
I regard 'TWYR' and the 'Colonial Marines Technical Manual' to be companion pieces as they both serve the same purpose of providing In Universe information to fans. 
What if the purpose it "serves" (in your view) is different from the purpose it was intended for (according to the author)?

lightsyder

Got it today.  Just flipped through it so far but it looks to be a really good buy. 

Very cool that the Fire & Stone comics got a mention, at least the Prometheus one anyway.  So, who says Predator is part of the Alien universe now?  Lol

Xenomrph

Quote from: lightsyder on Feb 16, 2017, 02:28:29 AM
Got it today.  Just flipped through it so far but it looks to be a really good buy. 

Very cool that the Fire & Stone comics got a mention, at least the Prometheus one anyway.  So, who says Predator is part of the Alien universe now?  Lol
Predators don't get mentioned at all in the WY Report, but according to the author that's because the book's license didn't include Predator stuff and she was instructed to not reference them.

lightsyder

Interesting.  Be cool to see the universes merge officially but I can see why they might never do that

Xenomrph

Quote from: lightsyder on Feb 16, 2017, 03:14:02 PM
Interesting.  Be cool to see the universes merge officially but I can see why they might never do that
Well that's the thing, they have "officially" merged, but projects are still licensed on a case by case basis. For the WY Report, Fox wanted a book that would serve as a creative re-telling of the Alien/Prometheus movies - that was the specific intent of the project.

Licensing is a wacky thing. Like, the Colonial Marines Technical Manual only had the license to write about stuff related to the movie 'Aliens' - ONLY that movie, and no others. The only reason the events of the first movie get referenced at all is because they get referenced in Ripley's ICC inquest scene, and there's no direct references to 'Alien3' aside from some really vague hints.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 17, 2017, 09:33:56 AMThe only reason the events of the first movie get referenced at all is because they get referenced in Ripley's ICC inquest scene, and there's no direct references to 'Alien3' aside from some really vague hints.

Originally, yeah. They apparently relaxed that a bit because the reprint has a section about the EEV from Alien 3.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 18, 2017, 08:46:30 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 17, 2017, 09:33:56 AMThe only reason the events of the first movie get referenced at all is because they get referenced in Ripley's ICC inquest scene, and there's no direct references to 'Alien3' aside from some really vague hints.

Originally, yeah. They apparently relaxed that a bit because the reprint has a section about the EEV from Alien 3.
The EEV bit is present in the original 1995 print, and even that technically doesn't violate the license agreement any moreso than talking about the Nostromo does. There's no pictures from 'Alien3', and it doesn't reference the particular events of 'Alien3'.

windebieste

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 13, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Feb 12, 2017, 10:13:47 PM
I regard 'TWYR' and the 'Colonial Marines Technical Manual' to be companion pieces as they both serve the same purpose of providing In Universe information to fans. 
What if the purpose it "serves" (in your view) is different from the purpose it was intended for (according to the author)?

You'll have to ask the Author. 

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 19, 2017, 04:59:51 PMThe EEV bit is present in the original 1995 print...

Oh really? Didn't know that. I'd assumed it was added because the Titan edition is a page longer.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 19, 2017, 04:59:51 PM...and even that technically doesn't violate the license agreement any moreso than talking about the Nostromo does. There's no pictures from 'Alien3', and it doesn't reference the particular events of 'Alien3'.

Debatable... The Nostromo pre-existed Aliens and is referred to in it. The EEV was a design job one specifically for the third film.

SM

Aren't both editions 159 pages?

HuDaFuK

I've seen the Titan one listed as 160. I confess I can't remember ever checking that against my copy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed