Space News & Views

Started by Nostromo, Aug 27, 2016, 03:31:59 PM

Author
Space News & Views (Read 67,959 times)

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 12, 2017, 12:59:25 PM
https://www.americasuncommonsense.com/1-apollo-17-diary-of-the-12th-man/

I thought this might be of interest to some. It's the diary of Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt. Only a couple of chapters actually released, though.

President Trump Directs NASA to Return to the Moon, Then Aim for Mars

Quote"Exactly 45 years ago, almost to the minute, Jack [Schmitt] become one of the last Americans to land on the moon," Trump said. "Today, we pledge that he will not be the last."

"The directive I'm signing today will refocus America's space program on human exploration and discovery," Trump said during the ceremony. "It marks an important step in returning American astronauts to the moon for the first time since 1972, for long-term exploration and use. This time we will not only plant our flag and leave our footprint — we will establish a foundation for an eventual mission to Mars and perhaps someday to many worlds beyond."

Everything on the Space Coast just became electrified over this, really looking forward to the space programs amping up!

SM

SM

Until he gives NASA more money it's just more Trump bluster.  Bush said much the same thing in 2004 but at least he said he was going to get congress to increase their budget (don't know if he succeeded).

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You make it sound as if Trump's credibility is in question.

SM

SM

Had he any, I would question it.

Immortan Jonesy

SM

SM

Spliffs in SPAAAAAACE!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Dec 19, 2017, 01:46:30 AM
https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/942924707720024066

I'd love for them to find an ET in my life time and I love reading about these kind of thing but it's just such a long-shot.  :'(

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SM on Dec 15, 2017, 09:28:58 PM
Until he gives NASA more money it's just more Trump bluster.  Bush said much the same thing in 2004 but at least he said he was going to get congress to increase their budget (don't know if he succeeded).

Wouldn't it be something to blink at if Trump becomes a huge investor in jumpstarting space research and tech?

SM

SM

He would if he had family members who stood to make money off it.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Tesla going to Mars orbit, pictures from Elon Musk

Link to the article:
http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tesla-car-rocket-mars-instagram-photo-2017-12/#falcon-heavys-fairing-stands-dozens-of-feet-tall-and-is-made-of-lightweight-yet-incredibly-strong-carbon-fiber-composite-materials-1

Quote"Test flights of new rockets usually contain mass simulators in the form of concrete or steel blocks. That seemed extremely boring," Musk wrote in his Instagram post. "Of course, anything boring is terrible, especially companies, so we decided to send something unusual, something that made us feel.

"The payload will be an original Tesla Roadster, playing Space Oddity, on a billion year elliptic Mars orbit."

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs/2018/0116-a-new-look-at-venus-with-akatsuki.html

QuoteAkatsuki (also known as PLANET-C and Venus Climate Orbiter) is a Japanese mission that launched almost eight years ago, in 2010. It missed its first attempt to orbit Venus on December 7, 2010 due to the failure of its orbital insertion rocket. It was only on December 7, 2015, after several years of wandering around the Sun, that Akatsuki succeeded in placing itself in orbit around the enigmatic planet. Even though the new orbit of Akatsuki is distant and highly elongated, a large portion of the original science objectives may still be achieved.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Venus looks like a nice place to live.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed